PDA

View Full Version : More bib shorts minutae- Assos

tbike4
10-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Bear with me please. I have read a bunch of threads, some recent and the different Assos models still confuse me. There are some sales right now but only for the one XS that would never sell. I know I don't want the Mille as I believe it has extra room for "comfort". I need form fitting compression at 6'1" and $170 lbs.

I need good bibs NOW so tell me to pay full price for Assos T Equipe Evo Shorts. Or why not. I need something that will be good for the 4 hour ride I just did with some new bibs that had a junky pad. $219 seems like a good price point, $399 for top of the line, not so much. Makes no sense to keep buying $125 bibs that suck.

MagicHour
10-20-2019, 09:20 PM
I have the both t.equipe S7s milleshorts S7s. Haven't tried the Evo or S9 but I believe the Evos should fit close to the T.equipe s7.
Both are comfortable and wouldn't hesitate to choose either for a 4+ hr ride. In any case some of my observations
T.Equipes S7

Yes, correct, snugger fit of the two; more compressive fit
Comically pronounced "codpiece" look from front of chamois
Fabric feels slightly more robust in construction, but its subtle
Chamois slightly more comfortable

T.milleshorts S7

Slightly looser at the waist, but are still form fitting on me
Inseam slightly shorter

I'm 5'11/160# wear Medium for both. Keep an eye on the length though; at my height the Ms are about as short as I'd want to go. You're probably safely a Large at your size.

Yeah the price is high if you can't wait for sales, I think the tequipes were the only piece of Assos kit I own I paid full retail for, so the other deals eased the sting a bit. For slightly less $ Voler Black Labels are another similarly comfortable and long-wearing bib.

MagicHour
10-20-2019, 09:58 PM
One other tip, if you do decide to go for it and you have an account at either: BikeTiresDirect - get some rewards points back
Competitive Cyclist - contact a Gearhead there they sometimes can hook you up with a deal.

tbike4
10-20-2019, 10:55 PM
Thanks Magichour. Good info and I have chatted with a gear head before who gave a better deal than the list price. I will try that.

benb
10-21-2019, 10:58 AM
I'm 6'1" and am like 175 right now but more like 170 when I'm in good shape.

I have both the Equipe S7 and Mille S7 bibs in large.

I generally like the Mille's better... mostly because they have fewer seams.

If you're really sensitive to them shifting/moving you might like the Equipe's better. If more seams bug you then go Mille. Really hard to say.

I would not really say they are sized particularly different but the extra seams on the Equipe bibs seem to make them feel firmer/more compression. Regular Fit vs Race Fit with Assos doesn't seem to be that dramatic actually.

You can't go wrong with either though, they are both great bibs, I paid $170 at a dealer for the latest pair of Milles I bought, they were $200 a couple years ago when I bought the first pair. I think they are crazy good at $170 vs a lot of the competition in the $150-200 range. IME pretty much all Assos bibs I've purchased greatly outlast most other brands I've tried, they last at least 2X longer for me than most of the other stuff I've owned, and they stay comfortable for many many hours. Between riding and stops I've probably worn them for 12 hours on a ride before.

PaMtbRider
10-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Swiss Iconic (Assos factory outlet) has the T.Equipe s7 shorts for $105. I am 6'3" 175lbs and wear these shorts in an XL. I bought 2 pair from Swiss Iconic with no issues.
https://www.swissiconic.com/men/shorts/assos-t-equipe-s7-bib-shorts/