PDA

View Full Version : The Cold Following the Hot?

verbs4us
10-20-2019, 06:49 PM
Over the years I’ve noticed that in the hours following a cool-down from a lively ride, I get a chill. In the summer it’s a nonissue. But in the winter, it gets so bad sometimes I intentionally overdress after a ride because I know the chill is coming. Some of my physiologist friends say it’s just a homeostatic adjustment—body temp went up on the ride, so post-ride it goes subnormal and oscillates for some time until it settles back to normal. I pretty dutifully refuel and rehydrate within a half hour of getting off the bike, so it’s not a blood sugar dip or dehydration. Typically includes cold hands and fingers and a feeling that “the fire went out” in the core. Thoughts & suggestions?

tv_vt
10-20-2019, 07:03 PM
Go with it and dress warm. Happens to me, too. Think maybe your body's immune system is not too strong right after a ride, so makes sense to dress on the warm side.

Feels good, too.

ChainNoise
10-20-2019, 07:19 PM
I get it if I don't hop in a long, hot shower directly after my ride. I think core body temp increases, but skin temperature drops below normal. It takes a bit to get the temperature back up to normal? I don't know but certainly feels like that's what's going on

Jcgill
10-20-2019, 07:25 PM
I notice this also, but for me it only happens in the spring and fall when the temperature is cooler.
I live in Indiana but i love the summer heat, I would rather run or ride in 90 or 100 degrees instead of 50, or 60 degrees.

Whenever i exert myself and it is less than room temperature i get the chill you are talking about. 70 degrees and up, i do not get it.

Last Sunday i ran the Chicago Marathon, 37 degrees at the start and 54 was the high, chills all night.
Yesterday i rode single track on my mountain bike, it was 59 degrees and i sweated......chills at night.

When I bundle up and go fat biking, I don’t notice it as much, but i do notice it in the spring when it is cooler and breezy and i ride and sweat.

Maybe it is just our bodies over correcting?

gbcoupe
10-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Age? I didn't start having this problem till I was in my late 40's. I ride year round when I can. Can be completely comfortable while riding, but if it's below 40*, I'll need a nice warm shower afterwards.

Cold weather gear is better now than when I was younger. Doesn't seem to make a difference after the ride. Cold temp also doesn't seem to matter. It can be 2* or 40* same result.

verbs4us
10-21-2019, 05:46 AM
Not sure it's age-related. In my 30s (30 years ago), I had an office with an adjustable thermostat. After a mid-day ride, I would have to turn it up to 80 to get warm. People would come in an exclaim "it's so hot in here!" (Well, not really...depends what you did at lunch!) The only thing post-ride that seems to work is a hot bath. Sometimes, low-level activity, like housecleaning, reignites the flame at a low burn.

soulspinner
10-21-2019, 06:26 AM
I get it (63 yo) if I don't immediately take off the cycling clothes even if they seem only damp. I overdress before stretching in a hot bath.

verbs4us
10-21-2019, 07:24 AM
Found this at my local deli this morning. Maybe the secret sauce? Maybe they also have Fahrenheit for us luddites. :)

Octave
10-21-2019, 07:39 AM
I get it if I don't hop in a long, hot shower directly after my ride. I think core body temp increases, but skin temperature drops below normal. It takes a bit to get the temperature back up to normal? I don't know but certainly feels like that's what's going on
Yep, its the differential between core temp (which stays elevated for hours after a spirited ride) and skin temp (which drops pretty much as soon as you stop sweating). If you took your temp with a thermometer you'd probably see that your temp is normal, or slightly elevated. Thus, its your skin sensors sending signals to your hypothalamus saying that you're cold.

Do you have a low BMI? This seems to be a more pronounced phenomenon in women (who have a large surface area per body weight) and skinny or tall men.

zap
10-21-2019, 08:15 AM
I typically ride to/from ride starts.

I found that as I got older my system felt a bit weird if i stopped right after a hard ride. Warming down for 5-10 miles really helps. Wicking under layer on colder days is key.