PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Campy in UK

Abzotech
05-10-2004, 01:06 PM
There was a topic once on this board over a year ago regarding getting Campy parts for almost half the cost from the UK or Italy. I'm from Seattle Washington and considering traveling to Europe this summer. My wife work for NW airlines so I can pretty much travel to anywhere at little cost. So I would like to kill a weekend just to get campy parts... if the price dif is worth it.

Where in Italy, England, or France to get the best deal on Campagnolo parts?Perferably near there airport. Also are there any import/export law I should worry about since I'm taking it back with me into the USA? Is it worth the trouble, or should I just go sight seeing? Please advise.

Serotta PETE
05-10-2004, 01:26 PM
The Euro and Pound have appreciated by greater that 35% against the dollar over the past two years. Your best bet might be to shop from your PC. Total Cycling and another firm in England/Ireland seemed to have the best buys. Two years ago in Italy, I bought nothing back for the prices were too close to the same as I could get in US.

It is always fun going to the shops in UK and in Italy but the bargains just were not there for me.

SOunds like a great weekend trip and many of us would be glad to go with you (for the same price ticket) and just go from shop to shop and pub to pub......PETE

Johny
05-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Weak US dollars = almost no great deals from the UK

P.S. I was recently told by one of my Italian friends (currently lives in Italy) that new '04 Campy components are very difficult to find there... Surprise? Not to me, the US market is a big pie.

EdK
05-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Total Cycling in Ireland is about the best prices available and you get your things in 3-4 days shipped to anywhere in the US (even wheels). Save the shopping for the Internet and schedule weekends around some of the many races that are coming up or going on and visit them instead. (maybe the Giro, Dauphine Libre, Tour de Suisse). The TDF is just too crazy to get close to but the othere races are quites accesible.

Time for a vector. Your thread reminds of the early-mid seventies and Campagnolo or some of their suppliers went on an extended strike. The (then extermely limited) supply of Campy dried up almost completley in the US and there was not much as an altenative. My uncle worked for TWA and my cousin was also an avid racer would fly to Rome on his pass once every few weeks and buy components to keep the Southern Cal racers supplied. I am too old to remember how long this went on for but it seemed like the better part of a racing season.

Thanks Tom!

Andreu
05-11-2004, 05:54 AM
......this for a comparison
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/default.asp?cat=cycling
Campy record group set = Ģ854.99 (British Sterling)

In shops, probably expect to pay up to Ģ980 (sterling).

I donīt know what this is in dollars. In a shop, unless it is older stock, I am not sure you would get much cheaper. I am not aware that there are huge differences in price across Western Europe. Prices here in Spain are slightly better but not enough to get excited about.
A