PDA

View Full Version : Windows Laptop Recommendations

pjmsj21
10-20-2019, 11:01 AM
I have been using a Dell XPS 13 for the last four-ish years and the track pad is malfunctioning and it needs a new charger. These maynot be big items to repair or replace but considering it's age I am not sure it is a good investment.

Thus I am looking for any recommendations that you might have. I have enjoyed the Dell but it's durability has been just ok..... I need a machine that I can connect to an external monitor as I use it for Lightroom and Photoshop photo editing.

TIA!

ultraman6970
10-20-2019, 12:24 PM
we got acer for our kids and so far and after 3 years the machines are still there working fine.

OtayBW
10-20-2019, 01:57 PM
I got a REFURB Acer from Micro Center that has been great as well.

shinomaster
10-20-2019, 02:03 PM
My Lenovo Idea Pad has been amazing, and i got it in 2012!! It's finally getting a tad slow with things like Spotify however..

tylercheung
10-20-2019, 04:30 PM
aside from cost, I think the best in terms of features/build quality would be lenovo or microsoft (surface laptop line) at the moment.

kiwisimon
10-20-2019, 05:11 PM
was going to recommend a Dell XPS.

Charger $20
Trackpad about $40

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dell+XPS+13+Track+Pad+Replacement/88994

My Brother has an ACER and it's ancient but still ticks along, albeit really really slowly (old age).

tbike4
10-20-2019, 08:08 PM
This is the wrong answer but my recommendation is a Mac Book Pro. If I must follow the gist of this thread go with another Dell. I we use the snott out them at work so we do not stray from the brand bur we also get the best service contract there is so there is that.

bikinchris
10-20-2019, 10:22 PM
My most recent laptop is an ASUS gaming computer with a solid state boot disc. I absolutely love it.

fkelly
10-21-2019, 08:57 AM
I've helped several friends comparison shop for Windows laptops this Fall. Seems like HP has slightly better value than Dell. Dell seems really "cheap" with their SSD's ... I suspect they have a big inventory of 128 and 254g ones and need to sell those out before they make larger ones easily available. Both Dell and HP have different product lines within, Latitude, XPS, etc.

If you are going to use an external monitor all the time, you might get better value from a small desktop unit.

There is another recent thread on SSD drives. Consult that. Reading it has me ready to jump ship to just using SSD's.

oldguy00
10-21-2019, 09:00 AM
I've used a ton of laptops over the years.
Only windows one I had that was really great quality and performance, was an alienware. Yes, its considered a gaming machine, but along with that is a great keyboard, great display, and powerful.

But in the end, I too switched to a Macbook Pro.

pjmsj21
10-21-2019, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=kiwisimon;2609193]was going to recommend a Dell XPS.

Charger $20
Trackpad about $40

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dell+XPS+13+Track+Pad+Replacement/88994

OP here....I think this is the route that I am going to go. I do like my current Dell XPS, great keyboard, monitor and size and the DIY fix seems pretty achievable......now to locate a mini mini screw driver set.

Thanks everybody!

fkelly
10-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Back your data up and test the validity of the backup before you apply a screw driver to the computer.

tylercheung
10-21-2019, 12:10 PM
I've used a ton of laptops over the years.
Only windows one I had that was really great quality and performance, was an alienware. Yes, its considered a gaming machine, but along with that is a great keyboard, great display, and powerful.

But in the end, I too switched to a Macbook Pro.

I helped my dad shop for a new model MacBook Air...highly impressed. My MBP from 2014 is still going strong too

45K10
10-21-2019, 12:19 PM
I'm a Mac man myself but my last work (Windows) laptop was a HP which worked great even for running CAD. That being said my personal laptop is a Macbook. My wife has the latest Macbook tricked out to do data modeling. That thing is uber sweet.

djg21
10-21-2019, 12:43 PM
If you are just using it for word processing and web browsing, fix what you have/. Chargers are cheap. Look on eBay. I don’t imagine a new touchpad would be difficult to install (or expensive to have installed). Or buy a tablet or iPad and a BT keyboard.

If you are using it for Zwift or gaming, you might want more processor power and a good graphic card. I like the Dell Alienware machines. I use one with my old Computrainer and Zwift. Mine is a desktop replacement, so I use a 17” screen. I’ve had it for 3 years and it’s been really solid.