PDA

View Full Version : Production titanium bikes for mid-reach brakes of yesteryear?

doomridesout
10-19-2019, 11:49 PM
If, hypothetically, someone wanted to save a bunch of searches for overlooked production titanium bikes for mid-reach brakes of recent years, what would one look for? I feel like this is something Kona made but can't recall. Name brand cachet is entirely irrelevant (Moots LTs are unicorns, apparently).

charliedid
10-20-2019, 12:13 AM
2015 Kona Esatto Ti frame. Made by Lynsky and pretty sure they made a similar bike.

happycampyer
10-20-2019, 01:29 AM
When I think of ti bikes made for mid-reach brakes, my first thought is Hampsten, but those aren’t production bikes. Most ti builders (Seven, IF, Serotta, Litespeed and Lynskey) had a touring model designed for mid-reach brakes, more often than not with a steel or Wound-Up fork* (like the Vamoots LT (Light Touring), IF Club Racer, Serotta Rapid Tour, etc.). For the most part, these were not stock production bikes, and there probably weren’t a lot made in the grand scheme of things. Strada Bianca tis are probably one of the more plentiful options.

* Of course, Seven made (and I believe still makes) a really nice carbon touring fork, which has better clearance than most in its class. For a while, Serotta made an AR (All Road) fork, which was basically an F3 with extra long dropouts with fender mounts).

StanleySteamer
10-20-2019, 01:56 AM
Marinoni Ti Sportivo.

StanleySteamer
10-20-2019, 02:17 AM
Habanero Ti bikes.

owly
10-20-2019, 05:32 AM
Dolan ADX frameset/bike (UK).

oldpotatoe
10-20-2019, 05:59 AM
If, hypothetically, someone wanted to save a bunch of searches for overlooked production titanium bikes for mid-reach brakes of recent years, what would one look for? I feel like this is something Kona made but can't recall. Name brand cachet is entirely irrelevant (Moots LTs are unicorns, apparently).

Give this guy a shout. Mark Hickey..I've sold a few of these and they are great frames for not much $. I'll bet he can fix you up.

http://www.habcycles.com/

eddief
10-20-2019, 08:35 AM
http://carverbikes.com/frames/custom-titanium/

buddybikes
10-20-2019, 08:43 AM
Careful of Habenero if you aren't flexible - the headtubes are real short for touring/gravel

NYCfixie
10-20-2019, 08:47 AM
Airborne. Remember them?

For a short while they did make a mid-reach brake flat bar road bike that could easily be converted to drop bars.

I should have bought one when I had the chance...

Andy340
10-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Seven RedSky (steel and Ti) was in their lineup for a while but they stopped producing/selling 5e midreach fork and a-c is non standard (383mm)

David in Maine
10-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Seven RedSky (steel and Ti) was in their lineup for a while but they stopped producing/selling 5e midreach fork and a-c is non standard (383mm)

Redsky is still in the Seven line-up. The new Seven Pureroad fork with tapered steerer is available drilled for mid-reach brakes. I'm about to finalize an order for one!

David

Look585
10-20-2019, 10:47 AM
The touring company “Backroads” had a custom design built by TST or Airborne that was designed for big tires and fenders.

I found a nice one for the wife, it fits 35s comfortably under 47-57 brakes. The stock fork was a carbon leg/steel steerer tank that I replaced with a Woundup.

semdoug
10-20-2019, 01:34 PM
The Lynskey Viale was mid reach designed before they switched it to disc and then a couple years later discontinued it all together.

mhespenheide
10-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Just a note of thanks for these suggestions. I only knew about the Esatto.

wc1934
10-20-2019, 04:35 PM

Seven updated the 5e to this:

Seven PureRoad Medium Reach Fork
Like its road cousin, the PureRoad Medium Reach fork features a tapered steerer (1-1/2” - 1-1/8”) and the same variable rake that has made our 5E road forks so essential to the perfect road build. The PureRoad Medium Reach is another proprietary Seven design, with the best balance of lateral-stiffness to weight of any carbon road fork on the market today. The wide selection of rakes helps us guarantee optimal frame-fork integration and handling. As with the 5E, the Pure Road remains the only high-performance road fork available with optional fender mounts and clearance for a 35mm tire.

Andy340
10-21-2019, 11:30 PM
Thanks - my mistake, I was focusing on 1 1/8 forks and missed this tapered version

Seven updated the 5e to this:

Seven PureRoad Medium Reach Fork
Like its road cousin, the PureRoad Medium Reach fork features a tapered steerer (1-1/2” - 1-1/8”) and the same variable rake that has made our 5E road forks so essential to the perfect road build. The PureRoad Medium Reach is another proprietary Seven design, with the best balance of lateral-stiffness to weight of any carbon road fork on the market today. The wide selection of rakes helps us guarantee optimal frame-fork integration and handling. As with the 5E, the Pure Road remains the only high-performance road fork available with optional fender mounts and clearance for a 35mm tire.

oldpotatoe
10-22-2019, 06:38 AM
Careful of Habenero if you aren't flexible - the headtubes are real short for touring/gravel

Since the gent was looking at a long reach brake rig, I was assuming it would be custom..

BobbyJones
10-22-2019, 03:46 PM
I guess this falls in the custom category, but the Independent Fab Club Racer was a "standard" in their model line up. Most often in steel, but if my memory serves I've seen a few in titanium.

Everything I envisioned a bike should be 10 years ago but still relevant today.

https://www.ifrider.com/category/register/club-racer-titanium/