PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU do?

CNY rider
12-26-2006, 12:19 PM
My Legend needs a little change in the crankset. Currently 30/42/52. I have another triple that's 30/39/52 and I really prefer the 39. The current crankset is Ultegra 9, has probably 5000 miles, some minor blemishes but functionally is perfect.

So my two options are (as I see them): 1. Buy a 39 for the middle ring and install on existing crankset. Total cost probably about $30 or $40.

2. Get that awesomely cool looking Dura Ace triple that's currently on sale many places, and raise the bling factor of the bike. Total cost around $400. Oh did I mention there's some holiday gift money burning a hole in my pocket?

So what would YOU do (WWYD?)?

CalfeeFly
12-26-2006, 12:36 PM
I am not totally sure and you may want to check with Shimano or a good wrench if you can run a 39 on that triple. This would give you the perfect excuse to buy the D/A triple.

The other complication is I also am not sure that the your Ultegra levers will properly shift the D/A triple crank. I believe you would need to get new shifters.

I love my D/A Triple a great deal and the 39 is a big improvement. Also the way they set it up you can ride it like a 39 x 53 almost all of the time and the 30 becomes a true climbing ring. The levers allow you to shift the middle and big ring through the whole cassette when set up properly. It is really nice.

I actually have both sitting on a shelf. I can't decide whether to build a frame back up with them or sell the frame and maybe or not sell the parts. Dave Thompson is good person to direct your questions to. He knows the system very well.

Len J
12-26-2006, 12:50 PM
but I think you need a different front der. to handle the 14 tooth gap from the 53 to the 39. You might want to check that also.

Len

BTW...I run a 50/39/28 on my climbing bike and the gearing gaps are perfect for how I ride. I use the 50/39 out here on the Flat Eastern shore but have the 28 if I need to go mountain climbing.

CNY rider
12-26-2006, 01:13 PM
but I think you need a different front der. to handle the 14 tooth gap from the 53 to the 39. You might want to check that also.

Len

BTW...I run a 50/39/28 on my climbing bike and the gearing gaps are perfect for how I ride. I use the 50/39 out here on the Flat Eastern shore but have the 28 if I need to go mountain climbing.

Did you build that combination yourself? What crankset is it on?

NateM
12-26-2006, 01:34 PM
is the BCD 130 on your crank? I have a couple of 39 tooth rings that were takeoffs (almost new) from older 9sp cranks.Send me your address and I will ship you one.Still in the spirit,Nate nhm@cbsnews.com

Don49
12-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Check this thread: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=22848

I had a similar issue and decided to get a new 39t Ultegra 10sp middle chainring ($28), and a Dura-Ace 7703 triple 9 front derailleur ($73). IMHO it's worth the money to replace the 42t with a 39, makes the drivetrain more usable as the 30t is now rarely used and becomes a bailout gear.

Don

Len J
12-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Did you build that combination yourself? What crankset is it on?

It's on an FSA Carbon Pro Crankset.

Len

palincss
12-26-2006, 04:54 PM
My Legend needs a little change in the crankset. Currently 30/42/52. I have another triple that's 30/39/52 and I really prefer the 39. The current crankset is Ultegra 9, has probably 5000 miles, some minor blemishes but functionally is perfect.

So my two options are (as I see them): 1. Buy a 39 for the middle ring and install on existing crankset. Total cost probably about $30 or $40.

2. Get that awesomely cool looking Dura Ace triple that's currently on sale many places, and raise the bling factor of the bike. Total cost around $400. Oh did I mention there's some holiday gift money burning a hole in my pocket?

So what would YOU do (WWYD?)?

You might find this, from Peter White's website, of interest:
http://peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp

If you are using STI, you'll need to use a Shimano derailleur specifically designed for STI. The Ultegra Triple FD is designed for a 10 tooth difference between the outer and middle chainring. It's more flexible about the difference between the middle and inner ring. The Dura Ace Triple FD is designed for a 14 tooth difference between the outer and middle ring. I get frequent requests for 38 tooth rings to replace the middle 42 tooth ring on the Ultegra Triple crank. But the shifting will be very poor if you do that. If you want a 38 in the middle, either change the outer to a 48, or change the FD to a Dura Ace Triple.

CNY rider
12-26-2006, 06:08 PM
That is very helpful. Thank you.

I still can't decide if I want to throw the big bucks after the DA Triple though. Probably going to have to sleep on it.

CalfeeFly
12-31-2006, 10:55 AM
CNY Rider...this is from the Calfee forum...it might help...

Happy New Year.

For Sale - Dura Ace 9sp Triple Groupset consisting of:

7703 STI Shift/Brake Levers
7703 Crankset 170mm 53/39/30
7703 Bottom Bracket
7703 Braze-on Front Deraileur
7703 Rear Deraileur
7700 12-27 Cassette
7700 Brake Calipers
7701 Chain (NEW in original packaging)

All components are in excellent condition, about 2K miles on them. The crank arms have some light scratches from normal wear, all the other components look new or close to it.

I would prefer to sell the entire group as a unit, but will consider breaking up the group under the right circumstances.

Any reasonable offer will be considered. Email me if you are interested.

Thanks for looking,

Mike

mike.fr@verizon.net

CNY rider
12-31-2006, 01:26 PM
I was overcome by the new 7803 triple........just couldn't resist. Got a new FD and BB to go with it. Should be in a Lickton's box on my doorstep sometime this coming week. :beer:

I do have more than one bike however.....