PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ride a Trek Domane? Impression please

veggieburger
10-18-2019, 08:51 AM
As my body and back slowly start to get older, I'm coming home more often with a sore back. I realize there are multiple things that might cause this, but the crappy roads around here certainly don't help.

I'm just dipping my toes into researching endurance/sportive bikes...a little more upright, a bit "softer", but the tech behind the softness concerns me. On the Domane, is this something you feel on smooth pavement? Is there any bob or movement under hard sprinting or in-saddle climbing? Once I get 20 miles from home, things really start to smooth out, and I don't want to feel like I'm riding a suspension-lite bike on smooth tarmac.

Anything you think a large, heavy rider would want to know about....or 5 stars all the way around? Thanks!

jamesdak
10-18-2019, 09:02 AM
Well I'm sure the tech has improved now. But I did a long test ride on one a few years ago. On the rough chipseal I ride I did not find the Domane to offer a more comfortable ride than several of my old steel bikes. It was still harsher. I even put my saddle, and wheels/tires on it for the test ride to give it an honest chance. Maybe they are better now....

Jaybee
10-18-2019, 09:20 AM
I’m not in the market, but since I was at my LBS for service yesterday, I took a couple test rides, including the 2020 Domane. It’s an amazing bike. The IsoSpeed just takes the edge off, you can’t really feel it move under power. You expect a pothole edge or chattery section to have a certain feel and there’s just less of it. This is in slight contrast to the Diverge I tried out, where I was able to generate some motion in the stem shock thingy climbing out of the saddle. That felt a little strange and though it also mutes the hits and chatter I’m not totally sold on the feel yet.

Tony
10-18-2019, 09:22 AM
I rode a 2018 Domane sl7 size 54, 25 GP4000 tires for a while. I thought it was one of the smoothest carbon bike I've ever rode

eddief
10-18-2019, 09:23 AM
my last bike was a Domane and my current bike is a Roubaix. yes, we have a lot of really crappy roads here. i think both bikes over the years have used some tech to smooth things out and i believe both approaches do that to some degree. my Domane was a few years old so only had the the seat tube thingy to handle the smoothing. i never felt that it affected my ride while climbing or "sprinting." just thought the ride was a bit smoother.

my 2019 Roubaix has CG-R elastomer seatpost and of course the Future Shock under the handlebars. i'd say the same thing about those tech features. a little smoother and no obvious negative effect on the ride.

one thing to watch out for if you are comparing these two is the geometry. in retrospect the geo on the Domane is my strong preference due to more relaxed seat tube angle. i always feel like i am sitting on top of the Roubaix and i prefer to be back and down a bit more and that's how i felt on the Domane.

i'd say fat tires and lower psi is probably your best bet. i will be trying 35mm tubeless on one of my bikes to see if that is holy grail.

commonguy001
10-18-2019, 09:27 AM
I have a 2020 SL6 and don’t find it spongy or soft but do find it super comfortable. It’s as efficient as any other road bike I own IMO which includes a Vamoots and a Black Mtn Cycles Road (older version, not a disc or road plus).

Super happy with it on both smooth and beat pavement. Even does well on unpaved sections.

b33
10-18-2019, 09:56 AM
I have the older Classics version - we have bad roads and while I like the look of the bike (long and low and looks great for a 62cm) the ride to me wasn't all that great. I did pick up a KOM on a gravel section, but I'm not sure it was the frame. If you could get one a deal it's good, full retail there are many, many other rides I would consider least of al steal.

Michael Maddox
10-18-2019, 10:33 AM
I've had two...a 2016 SLR 9 and a 2019 SLR 9 Disc. The suspension, as mentioned above, "takes the edge off." Make sure you get the version with the rear decoupler, then leave it in the middle and you'll probably never change it. I don't.

With the disc version, you can also run 32-35mm tires at lower pressures, which is magic.

Will be riding 32s at Paris-Roubaix in April.

John H.
10-18-2019, 10:52 AM
I rode a 2020 Domane SLR a week or two ago.
I thought it rode great- solid and road bike like.
Take really big tires in its new version. Plus in my book.
However, I was surprised at how heavy it felt when I picked it up. It weighed over 19 lb with Dura-Ace DI2 and carbon wheels- Maybe the guy had a gold bar in the down tube trunk?

GScot
10-18-2019, 10:57 AM
I have a 2018 SL 6 with the front and non adjustable rear isospeed. Love it, mine is the rim brake version and it takes 30s no problem. 32s would possibly work but would require low pressure or opening the brakes a bit extra for wheel swaps.

I ended up with this after an elbow injury that resulted in loss of arm extension that was great enough to change my bike fit a bit. I tried the soft front gravel bikes like a Diverge, Slate, Lauf, and a Roubaix. In the end for a road bike I liked Domane best as it has enough give in the front to take the edge off but otherwise does not feel any different than what I expected from a road bike. Replaced a Look 585 which also had a great ride but as it was on the upper end of my previous fit range I sold it after my fit changed.

Tony
10-18-2019, 11:43 AM
I rode a 2020 Domane SLR a week or two ago.
I thought it rode great- solid and road bike like.
Take really big tires in its new version. Plus in my book.
However, I was surprised at how heavy it felt when I picked it up. It weighed over 19 lb with Dura-Ace DI2 and carbon wheels- Maybe the guy had a gold bar in the down tube trunk?

I put the above stock sl7, rim brake on a scale with two ti cages and xtr pedals and it
was 17.09 lbs

This is not correct, I forgot that the bike was weigh after I replaced the rear hub with an Carbon ti rear hub.

benb
10-18-2019, 11:57 AM
I have a 2016 version before the ISOSpeed was changed to be adjustable and the front was changed to have the shock absorbing headstock. I've still got less than 10k miles on it cause it's a "sunny day" bike but I've rode it > 150 miles in a day over some pretty nasty courses.

Mine comes in right around 17lbs with carbon bottle cages. My bike is a rim brake 5-series OCLV but was built from a frameset. It has Ultegra but almost everything else is non-Trek except the Stem.

These bikes have a super stiff bottom bracket.. you will still feel the rough roads through your legs.

I find the ISO Speed is amazing for certain kinds of hits on rough roads. It is especially effective for vibration. "Scarified pavement" from road construction is one of the more amazing things to ride over on these bikes. It nearly erases all the vibration from the saddle. You end up riding differently than normal bikes.. on normal bikes I'd be trying to unweight the saddle a little more, on the Domane I end up trying to weight the saddle more because that's the contact point with the least vibration.

I would not say the ISO Speed is going to stop a sore back though. That is still way more fit dependent. Bars/Saddle not quite right and the bike will still make your back sore just like any other.

If you are really noticing the ISOSpeed moving with pedaling IME it's an indicator fit is not right.

I have never really wished I had disc brakes on this bike. It's still a road bike, not a gravel bike.

Johnny P
10-18-2019, 01:20 PM
I have a 2012 Domane and really like it. It fits me well and the ride is quite smooth. A bit better than my Titanium Serotta.

ElvisMerckx
10-18-2019, 02:07 PM
I've got a 2018 SLR. The geometry matches my customs so I thought I'd give it a try -- and also because: 1) I was intrigued by DM brakes, 2) it was available with ghost logos, and 3) I got a super sweet deal on it.

It took some trial and error to get the rear ISO speed to feel just right -- but that's the beauty of a frame like this -- it can literally be dialed.

It has a few negatives, ie, wonky rear brake cable routing out of the TT and a sometimes creaky front ISO speed, and a non-threaded BB, but other than that, it rides beautifully.

I won't claim it will help anyone's back (nor will Trek), but it definitely smooths the rough stuff. All in all, it's a badass bike.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48094655906_eee3ef5ae4_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ggXFBh)

benb
10-18-2019, 02:38 PM
The internal cable routing in the front of the bike on my Domane is creaky... it could be that it's the cable routing and not the ISOSpeed stuff since I don't have front ISOSpeed.

You can just get off the bike and put your hand on the stem and turn the bars back and forth and hear the housing creaking.

The tube sections are so big it amplifies any little creak.

I am not sure if the newer SLR models have this but mine also has the chainstays open at the back. They are BIG chainstays... and since they are open in the back if you hit a big bump it makes a very distinctive loud noise.. nothing wrong but it's weird at first.

chirpy999
10-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Hi, here is my Domane which is my winter bike. Not sure what year she is got her secondhand from a friend . bust brought her into use the last couple of weeks. There is something about her that grows on you . I havent messed about with the decoupler but I like her and will be out on her tomorrow and probably sunday as well.

19wisconsin64
10-18-2019, 04:51 PM
The Domane is an excellent bicycle. I have a 58 cm that I purchased from a fellow forum member, and love it! It is very comfortable, compared to other non-suspension carbon bicycles. The version I have is the first generation with only rear suspension, and mine has the "E2" more upright riding position.

The newer Domane versions have both front and rear suspension.

The best thing I did to further smooth out the ride was to put on a clincher wheelset with wide rims-the HED Belgium Plus.

Just purchased a modern Aero race bike, with race geometry. Night and day ride in terms of smoothness and comfort. The modern (Specialized Venge) beats me up and makes my teeth chatter over small bumps. The Domane takes on anything with a smile.

My Domane has rim brakes, the modern bikes have disc brakes. Both work well, but discs do stop better.

Hope this helps!

malbecman
10-18-2019, 05:22 PM
I have a 2017 SLR with the front and rear decoupler and yes, with the rear decoupler set in the middle, it's like cruising down the road on a smooth, fast, firm sofa....just the right amount of plush and stiffness.

I have an older Ti (Spectrum) and steel bike (Bridgestone) and they really have more road buzz and take hits harder.

blakcloud
10-18-2019, 08:46 PM
I am not a drop bar bike fan but the Trek Domane has changed my mind. I bought it as a an occasional rider, but I like it so much it is my go to bike now. It is 2020 SL6 and it is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden.

My only complaint is weight. It is heavy for a carbon bike but that is the price you pay for IsoSpeed.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have invested in a Di2 version and some carbon rims. Now I will just have to upgrade as I go along.

Cornfed
10-18-2019, 09:50 PM
I had a 2017 Domane SLR disc and I liked it all right; it was smooth for sure, but smooth to the point of feeling "dead". I felt less beat up at the end of a long day, but honestly, those long days felt longer on the Domane -- just not as much fun as my metal bikes.

The nail in the coffin for the me was the seatmast. Maybe it works for lighter riders, but for a big guy like me, it was always slipping or squeaking or rocking, ... just a huge PITA (pun intended).

Bob Ross
10-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Two years ago my wife & I rented a pair of Trek Domanes during a vacation to Lake Tahoe. Definitely the nicest rental bike I'd ever been on...and it is the only bike in the history of ever that made my wife think she might possibly be satisfied with something off-the-shelf (she'd been riding a custom Strong since 2010).

PSJoyce
10-19-2019, 09:32 AM
I picked up a 2018 Domane SLR caliper brake on closeout earlier this year. It's the bike I pick for just about every ride.

whateveronfire
10-19-2019, 12:03 PM
I'm on my second Domane. I had a 2013 and was sorry i sold it. When my LBS had the owner's barely ridden 2016 SL6 with all the bells and whistles (di2, tubular bontragers), I jumped on it.

I'm riding it 8 times out of ten. Smooth, fast, not squishy. My lower back doesn't hurt after long rides. I find myself riding longer.

Former very heavy now sorta heavy rider and I am quite convinced I'll never not have a Domane in the bike mix.

veggieburger
10-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Thanks all. If an older 58 comes up, I’ll give it strong consideration. The less bells n whistles the better. Sounds like it might be one to have in the collection.

Cornfed
10-19-2019, 09:12 PM
Thanks all. If an older 58 comes up, I’ll give it strong consideration. The less bells n whistles the better. Sounds like it might be one to have in the collection.

Be sure to check the geometry. Treks are a bit funny in sizing. I ride a standard 58 in everything, but my Domane was a 60. Good luck!

Clean39T
10-19-2019, 09:15 PM
Be sure to check the geometry. Treks are a bit funny in sizing. I ride a standard 58 in everything, but my Domane was a 60. Good luck!

Was going to say the same thing. The sizing on these gets weird as they get bigger. The 62cm has a massive stack and barely any reach in the standard geometry. To get one that actually sits you on it like a road bike you have to find a SLR RSL - which are the top of the line and pretty rare. Personally, I wouldn't buy any model at this point other than the latest incarnation with the T47 threaded BB, and I'd only buy one new - just too much gizmo wizardry that could go wrong out of warranty. They are awesome bikes though.

cetuximab
10-20-2019, 03:14 AM
My wife and I did a fall tour in Vermont.

The 2019 Domane disc was great. There were so many potholes and the Domane minimized the rough. The tires were 25s. The chip seal was tolerable.

I’m building a supercross bike with a 29 er frame and 2.25 wide tires. The 29 frame will give a more upright posture. Tubeless 29x2.25 at 28 psi will make gravel and chipseal feel smooth.

Calnago
10-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Was going to say the same thing. The sizing on these gets weird as they get bigger. The 62cm has a massive stack and barely any reach in the standard geometry. To get one that actually sits you on it like a road bike you have to find a SLR RSL - which are the top of the line and pretty rare. Personally, I wouldn't buy any model at this point other than the latest incarnation with the T47 threaded BB, and I'd only buy one new - just too much gizmo wizardry that could go wrong out of warranty. They are awesome bikes though.

The Domane is a great bike as is. But the “special” geometries that have been available and pretty rare still seem extremely confusing to most people. For instance, the SLR RSL is basically just the high end Domane, project one paint etc. To get an actual different geometry in the current lineup, (not even sure if it’s still offered in the most recent model), you have to specifically request the “Pro Endurance” geometry. It is long and low and the same as the old “Classics” geometry. And they are nothing like real road race geometry, being pretty much specifically designed for going fast over the cobbles of Paris Roubaix. Compared to a Emonda or the Koppenberg (which I’ll get to in a second) it has a slack headtube, greater fork offset, long wheelbase (a whopping 3cm longer in a size 60 over an Emonda or Koppenberg). In fact, Paris Roubaix was the only race that Cancellara used this geometry. For the other classics like Flanders, etc, and also the grand tours like Tour de France, the Koppenberg was his bike of choice. It has rear Isospeed but the geometry is labeled as H1, and is extremely similar to the Emonda, like almost identical. They are very rare frames which were only available as a frameset in very limited numbers and sizing (smallest size they made was 56) but in my mind it’s the nicest pure road bike that Trek has ever made to date. Extra beefy with added layups in the BB area, which made it great for the larger riders (myself included). I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the next Emonda takes some cues from that frame. Now I don’t believe the OP (@veggieburger) would be interested in either the Pro Endurance (old Classics) geometry of the Domane or the H1 (Koppenberg) geometry so I’m just posting this for those that have really followed the Domane’s development throughout the years and to lessen the confusion over the two geometries that were actually raced but both very different from the standard geometry of the vast majority of Domanes actually sold to the public. But for what the OP is actually looking for, I think standard Domane geometry is probably ideal. Personally I could do without the added complexity of the front end isospeed, but that’s how it comes now. And quite frankly I prefer the older simpler isospeed which leveraged off the the entire seattube for flex. Looked cleaner too imo.
The Koppenberg (60cm)...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191020/69002bdccd5602bcff802cd90b2dbd9d.jpg

TimD
10-21-2019, 03:32 PM
Replaced a 2015 Emonda SL H2 with a 2018 Domane SL earlier this year. I built it up with a mix of DA and Ultegra mechanical parts which make it somewhat better than SL6 spec. Bought a pair of used DT Swiss ER1400 wheels which are quite nice.

As an aside, a nice aspect of disc braked wheels is that the fastest wearing element - the braking surface - is eliminated, making used disc braked wheels a great build option. IMO.

I'm very happy with the ride, the fender mounts, the direct mount disc brakes, the somewhat relaxed handling, the ability to use wider tires, and the tasteful (IMO) graphics. I semi-jokingly call it my 'old man's bike'.

I dislike the press-fit BB90 and the generally noisy nature of large, hollow, thin-walled carbon shapes, and the fiddly adjustment of saddle angle on the 'seat mast', but that's about it.

For reference my other primary road bike is a 2011 Serotta Colorado on 32h handbuilt wheels and 25mm GP4000 tires. That bike is a really nice ride but is noticeably more harsh over small stuff as compared to the Trek. The Trek has gotten way more use than has the Serotta this year.

Dired
10-31-2019, 02:14 PM
I'm looking at picking up a 2020 Domane SL7. For those who recently purchased, what kind of offers (if any) did you receive from trek? Sorry for the segue from the original topic, but figured that this is the best place here to ask. Thanks!

rnhood
10-31-2019, 03:22 PM
They will help you pick the right size, change stem if necessary, and adjust the fit. Some stores may give you a full fit. They will also give you a free follow up tune up. The Domane is a very nice bike.

eddief
10-31-2019, 03:47 PM
i wanted to change out crank, bars, cassette. one shop would sell me those parts at 25% discount and charge me regular labor to install. the other shop gave me the same discount but offered free labor.

Dired
11-01-2019, 07:18 AM
Did trek offer any deals/discounts on new bikes or is everyone paying retail?

rinconryder
11-01-2019, 08:11 AM
What I really want to know is can you throw some gravel tires on it and make it a decent gravel bike?

benb
11-01-2019, 08:23 AM
For sure... Domanes have almost gravel geometry anyway.. and if you get a Disc one they take plenty big tires. Probably depends on the definition of gravel too though.

I've rode mine down lots of dirt roads with 26c tires... not really gravel, dirt. It does fine. Mine is rim brake though so I wouldn't get more than 28c on it so it wouldn't work on larger/looser gravel surfaces.

Also it's carbon, so chips.

commonguy001
11-01-2019, 09:16 AM
What I really want to know is can you throw some gravel tires on it and make it a decent gravel bike?

Geometry is pretty close to my Ti gravel bike, just a lower bottom bracket which probably helps. I currently have tires that measure 35mm on it and there is a lot of clearance but I still haven't tried anything bigger. I do have some Teravail Rutlands that measure out around 43 on another bike I may fit on it at some point just to see.

EDIT - Tried fitting the 43mm tires on mine and they fit fine. around 5-6mm clearance at the tightest point on both sides of the chain stay. That's about the same as my Lynskey and I've never had any issues with them on that bike.

Helicopter tape works great for carbon, I use it on my MTBs before I ride them.

Regarding the did ya pay retail price - I did, they were literally just starting to trickle in when I got my 20 although the 19s were marked way down. I would have saved 900 or so going with a 19 but I wanted the larger tire clearance and the T47 BB. The downtube storage is also very cool.

Dired
11-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Regarding the did ya pay retail price - I did, they were literally just starting to trickle in when I got my 20 although the 19s were marked way down. I would have saved 900 or so going with a 19 but I wanted the larger tire clearance and the T47 BB. The downtube storage is also very cool.

Thanks! Not getting a lot of movement from the shop but they're buying out my old bike. Just wanted to confirm that this was the norm with trek.

deechee
11-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Go figure. I just ordered a '19 rim brake Domane frameset since it was marked down significantly. The 2020 disc looked beautiful but I'm not sold on the tools banging around in the downtube and discs. Will be selling my 52cm Meivici shortly...

Tony
11-01-2019, 10:37 AM
Thanks! Not getting a lot of movement from the shop but they're buying out my old bike. Just wanted to confirm that this was the norm with trek.

NO, I don't think it's the norm, at least in my case it was not. I was able to get a nice markdown for a 2018 sl7, rim brake.

Dired
11-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Took out a '20 sl6 for a test ride yesterday. Nice fun endurance bike. I took it over a section of road construction where the tarmac was completely removed. This is where the bike really comes alive - I was hitting about 25 miles an hour hitting this patch and the bike felt planted and very much in control. The road feedback in your feet is muted by the time it reaches the saddle and handlebars. I was able to easily maintain speed and even pointed the bike straight over manholes and bigger bumps. Kind of unbelievable at first. Huge tires like a citibike. So much fun. Looks I'm set on getting a di2 sl7...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191103/3498d1ca9d1de6a639e04e36c6bc011c.jpg

Plum Hill
11-03-2019, 12:25 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191020/69002bdccd5602bcff802cd90b2dbd9d.jpg

I think you need to cover the Shimano decals.

Dired
11-21-2019, 01:54 PM
NBD - in the process of picking this up and consolidating my fleet. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191121/e71f6d7cb965b6bef4bc46790db4fa2a.jpg

commonguy001
11-21-2019, 01:58 PM
NBD - in the process of picking this up and consolidating my fleet.

Which fenders are those? I'm looking for a set potentially

Dired
11-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Which fenders are those? I'm looking for a set potentially

The fenders are these:
FENDER BONTRAGER NCS 700 X 28-35MM BLACK 552487

Really nice fit, no cutting.

commonguy001
11-21-2019, 02:05 PM
The fenders are these:
FENDER BONTRAGER NCS 700 X 28-35MM BLACK 552487

Really nice fit, no cutting.

Thank you!! They look like the ticket. Need to hit the trek shop when I'm in town this weekend :banana:

Dired
11-21-2019, 02:36 PM
Thank you!! They look like the ticket. Need to hit the trek shop when I'm in town this weekend :banana:

Perfect integration, even has a mount for the bontrager light. They should be 20% off next week for BF.

Dired
11-23-2019, 08:31 PM
First long ride - this thing is a blast. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191124/ffebad898b92e58d77955228a3ac8e0c.jpg