PDA

View Full Version : shop chain breaker

AngryScientist
10-17-2019, 09:34 AM
I have a nice Park Tools chain breaker in my basement shop, but wanted another to keep in the garage. Mistakenly bought the Pedros "Apprentice" tool, what a POS.

The pin will not sit in the correct spot to line up and push the chain pin out, and feels crudely made. it's literally worthless.

anyway, what is your 50 dollar ish chain breaker of choice? Or should i just buy another Park? One thing i appreciate about the Park tool is the pin is easily replaced and easily sourced.

The lezyne looks nice. Thoughts?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0043/1246/5494/products/Product-st-clscchaindrive-y12-zoom1_06128dab-bacc-4fed-8ca9-4c916a753a20_1800x1800.jpg?v=1552934968

R3awak3n
10-17-2019, 09:37 AM
No experience with the lezyne but I got 2 parks (1 for track chain and 1 road chain) and they have been VERY good. Why not buy another park?

p nut
10-17-2019, 09:44 AM
No experience with the cheaper Apprentice tool, but Pedros Tutto has been excellent.

berserk87
10-17-2019, 09:47 AM
I have been hard on chain tools. I finally settled on the shop quality Park one and it's been dandy. I have broken/bent the pins on others that I've had. There comes a point where having the right tool is worth it versus the aggravation of a crappy one.

AngryScientist
10-17-2019, 09:56 AM
No experience with the cheaper Apprentice tool, but Pedros Tutto has been excellent.

this is the way the pin sits in the Apprentice. it's bottomed out and there is no way to center the push pin.

garbage!

zzy
10-17-2019, 10:02 AM
Return the apprentice and get the tutto

Jaybee
10-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Return the apprentice and get the tutto

This.

FYI, Pedros is good people, if you let them know that your tool isn't working correctly they will make it right.

PacNW2Ford
10-17-2019, 03:19 PM
I have and like the Shimano TL-CN34 shop tool.

donevwil
10-17-2019, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately I only use chain tools for shortening a new one anymore so my cheap Ritchey is perfectly fine.

Although on my "someday" money no object list"

Abbey Bike Tool Decade Chain Tool (https://www.abbeybiketools.com/collections/tools/products/decade-chain-tool)

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-tqfdy/products/1267/images/5127/abbeychaintooltwo__34826.1546636604.1280.1280.jpg? c=2

Gummee
10-17-2019, 03:36 PM
this is the way the pin sits in the Apprentice. it's bottomed out and there is no way to center the push pin.

garbage!

break out a file and fix it

/problem

M

donevwil
10-17-2019, 03:46 PM

garbage!

My 8 spd Park tool did this, the tang was too thick for a 10 spd chain. Not a slot depth issue. The file rec worked. Did you buy an 8 spd era tool?

AngryScientist
10-17-2019, 03:49 PM
My 8 spd Park tool did this, the tang was too thick for a 10 spd chain. Not a slot depth issue. The file rec worked. Did you buy an 8 spd era tool?

https://pedros.com/products/tools/cassette-and-chain/apprentice-chain-tool/

the tool is advertised as compatible with working with single through 12 speed chains.

that's a good idea with the file. i have a rat tail round file somewhere in the shop too. off to the garage!

AngryScientist
10-17-2019, 03:50 PM
ooooo and yes, that abbey tool is lustful looking!

that may go on my list for Santa this year :)

Mikej
10-17-2019, 06:09 PM
I have a Pedro’s tutu- works good! If it was sexiness, Abbey-

quickfeet
10-17-2019, 06:51 PM
The shop level Park chain tools are just plain bullet proof and work with just about everything. Shimano tl-cn34 are awesome but a little more spendy than they are probably worth.

I ended up buying one of the Abbey decade tools about this time last year when there were a couple of coupons that I was able to combine to save a mint. That thing is as overbuilt as you will ever find. I will never need to buy another as long as I’m alive and Abbey is still in business making whatever updated chain plates come out.

Jeff N.
10-17-2019, 07:28 PM
Don't screw around...get the Campagnolo. Easily the most precise tool of it's kind I've ever worked with. Well worth the extra coin. Trust me on this. (I think Park tools in general are garbage)

berserk87
10-17-2019, 08:00 PM
Don't screw around...get the Campagnolo. Easily the most precise tool of it's kind I've ever worked with. Well worth the extra coin. Trust me on this. (I think Park tools in general are garbage)

Which one are you talking about? The one that I saw for 11 speed is $175 on sale! It better be worth the coin at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/Campagnolo-Chain-Breaker-11S-Tool/dp/B001GSQONW/ref=asc_df_B001GSQONW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312111916046&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14657459949901799834&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016125&hvtargid=pla-317680762070&psc=1

Toddtwenty2
10-17-2019, 08:21 PM
The Abbey Decades was on my Christmas list last year. Do it! My heart quickens it’s pace every time I use it, and it will last well beyond my grandchildren.

Jeff N.
10-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Which one are you talking about? The one that I saw for 11 speed is $175 on sale! It better be worth the coin at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/Campagnolo-Chain-Breaker-11S-Tool/dp/B001GSQONW/ref=asc_df_B001GSQONW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312111916046&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14657459949901799834&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016125&hvtargid=pla-317680762070&psc=1
That's the one. I bought mine used off Ebay for less. None better.

quickfeet
10-17-2019, 09:48 PM
If you’re spending the coin on the campy, buy the Abbey instead. It can everything the campy tool does and it relatively future proof.

bikinchris
10-17-2019, 11:10 PM
I have been using a Rohloff Revolver for daily shop use about 18 years now. It has worked perfectly for thousands of chains. It also peens chains together It works so good, I bought a Revolver 3 last year for 11 and 12 speed. I know it's more than your budget, but I don't like buying tools I use a lot often.

weisan
10-18-2019, 04:14 AM
Not sure if this is considered shop quality but I have got two of this, one for regular use in the garage and the other I carry on my rides and it get used quite a bit too for me and for others. It worked fine, and is affordable, no need to re-invent the wheel.

https://www.parktool.com/assets/img/product/_productDetail/CT-5_009.jpg

Octave
10-18-2019, 05:55 AM
+1 for the Abbey Decades. Everything they make is top-notch and this is no exception.

oldpotatoe
10-18-2019, 06:07 AM
I have a Campagnolo 10s tool and the 11/12s tool but for just breaking the chain..the Pedros Tutti is a around $50 'shop level' tool, as was asked. Stay away from the $10 pocket ones..they may be fine for your seat bag but 'shop level', as in numerous use, they are not..

AngryScientist
10-18-2019, 06:13 AM
Took the file to the Pedros one i have last night and it works fine now, but i think i'll upgrade to the abbey somewhere down the road, only because i like nice tools, but no rush.

i'm also only using it to break the chain, i pretty much use only KMC chains with the quick link.

batman1425
10-18-2019, 07:18 AM
Took the file to the Pedros one i have last night and it works fine now, but i think i'll upgrade to the abbey somewhere down the road, only because i like nice tools, but no rush.

i'm also only using it to break the chain, i pretty much use only KMC chains with the quick link.

Glad you got it sorted. That said - I'm sure if you were to reach out to Pedros, they'd still take care of you. A quality tool shouldn't need modification out of the box to make it work as designed.

AngryScientist
10-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Glad you got it sorted. That said - I'm sure if you were to reach out to Pedros, they'd still take care of you. A quality tool shouldn't need modification out of the box to make it work as designed.

i agree.

in this case, it was a couple minute project with a file and i'm good, but if it were not that easy, i would have reached out to Pedros. Sometimes, you can not improve unless you are aware of the problem.

batman1425
10-18-2019, 07:32 AM
i agree.

in this case, it was a couple minute project with a file and i'm good, but if it were not that easy, i would have reached out to Pedros. Sometimes, you can not improve unless you are aware of the problem.

I'm in the same boat, probably more hassle to go through the process of getting a replacement than 5min with the file.

Clancy
10-18-2019, 07:40 AM
I have a Campagnolo 10s tool and the 11/12s tool but for just breaking the chain..the Pedros Tutti is a around $50 'shop level' tool, as was asked. Stay away from the $10 pocket ones..they may be fine for your seat bag but 'shop level', as in numerous use, they are not..

Curious if a definition of shop use would be helpful.

For me, and I suspect most here, “shop use” at home is maybe 1-2 a month and that’s with 5 bikes.

At work, when I’m there since I cut back so only 2-3 times a week, but when I’m there, 4-5 times a day.

An expensive shop level tool just isn’t warranted for home shop use other than lust factor which is certainly ok. For home I have an older Parks 3.3, solid.

At the shop, I have the Shimano TL-CN 35, a very nice tool, shop grade.

quickfeet
10-18-2019, 07:51 AM
I think when I use the term shop use it should mean that the tool works every time without fail whether it’s been 10 minutes or two years since I have used it. Chain tools in particular seem to me to be the best tool to buy a shop grade design because once you get outside of that level the quality drops significantly. I’ve had cheapies break after a single use. I simply cannot handle that.

Is there a difference in cost between Abbey and a tl-cn34? For sure, and there probably isn’t a $100 worth of value difference in tool design, but once you factor in USA made, future proof, etc that adds a ton of value. Just since I bought a decade last year AXS was released and I had to buy a 12 speed plate for my decade, with other designs I would’ve just thrown out the whole tool.

Jaybee
10-18-2019, 08:33 AM

For me, and I suspect most here, “shop use” at home is maybe 1-2 a month and that’s with 5 bikes.

At work, when I’m there since I cut back so only 2-3 times a week, but when I’m there, 4-5 times a day.

An expensive shop level tool just isn’t warranted for home shop use other than lust factor which is certainly ok. For home I have an older Parks 3.3, solid.

I think I use my chain tool 5-7 times a year max, and that’s just to cut a new chain to length before installing the quick link.

berserk87
10-18-2019, 11:35 AM
That's the one. I bought mine used off Ebay for less. None better.

Likely not, but at that price, it's because you want it and not because it works that much better than the other options. And wanting it is a real thing. Just ask me about my Phil Wood purchases recently.

p nut
10-18-2019, 11:54 AM

I think there is something to be said of the higher quality craftsmanship of these "shop level" tools, which translates into easier use, prolonged life, etc. I know I'm a weekend pesudo mechanic if there ever was one, and the number of cheap vice grips, wrenches, chisels, drill bits I've broken over the years, it would have been so much cheaper to go with a proper "shop level" tool to begin with. And did I mention all those rounded off bolt heads from crappy allen keys??? I had to drill one out of a stem to get the bars out. That was expensive.

berserk87
10-18-2019, 03:29 PM
I think there is something to be said of the higher quality craftsmanship of these "shop level" tools, which translates into easier use, prolonged life, etc. I know I'm a weekend pesudo mechanic if there ever was one, and the number of cheap vice grips, wrenches, chisels, drill bits I've broken over the years, it would have been so much cheaper to go with a proper "shop level" tool to begin with. And did I mention all those rounded off bolt heads from crappy allen keys??? I had to drill one out of a stem to get the bars out. That was expensive.

Agreed. It depends on value to the buyer to some extent. I finally spent money on some good allen keys this year after rounding off more bolt heads that I care to recall. Might be the best cycling tool decision I have ever made. Bought a set of Bondhu and a set of Wiha. For the combined price they have been solid - literally - no rounding off.

I found that the cheaper chain tools did not allow me as much leverage to turn the crank. The pricier one had larger handles and provided me more of a grip and made the job 100% easier.

sales guy
10-18-2019, 05:33 PM
I pushed really hard for more tools including the chain tool while at Lezyne. I played with prototypes. The final version is very good. I really like it. I also like the original Shimano chain tool(CH32 and CN34/35) and the Campy. The Campy is a bit complicated for constant daily use but it's an excellent tool.

slowpoke
10-18-2019, 06:19 PM
And did I mention all those rounded off bolt heads from crappy allen keys??? I had to drill one out of a stem to get the bars out.

In my experience, 4mm or greater, no threat of rounding with crappy allen keys. 3mm and below: precise tools matter.

That being said, I've had a good experience with humbly made in the USA and affordable Eklind tools.

Sorry for the aside, back to chain breakers.