PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Belgium...flying with Knees

Michael Maddox
10-16-2019, 09:36 PM
So, I'm heading to Belgium for 10 days of riding in April, including the sportives for the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix. Needless to say, I'm excited; this is practically a hajj for me.

Practical matters first however...

I'm 6'3" with some rather ugly knee issues. Suffice it to say that RIDING is fine, but STANDING and WALKING can be a problem. I'm working on hip, core, and knee mobility to relieve this, and I've lost a LOT of weight with plans to lose more. BUT...planes are HORRIBLE. I can't stretch out and move my legs properly to get to all the different positions I want to keep my knees from aching.

I'm currently considering a flight on British Airways. Their business class (Club World) seems pretty comparable to a First Class cabin on a US domestic carrier. Plus, British Airways makes it easier for me, as the connections to my hometown (Tallahassee-TLH) are readily available without having to resort to driving to another city (eg, Jacksonville for Air Brussels). Do any of you have experience with the British Airways business classes for Transatlantic flights?

I CAN do First, but I don't really need the ludicrous amenities that BA offers, and the cost savings in Business would be just fine by me.

Other suggestions are welcome! I've waited 50 years to do this, and it's my first time; I'm more than willing to do it RIGHT.

FlashUNC
10-16-2019, 09:40 PM
Their financial issues aside, Norwegian would be an excellent option in their Premium Economy option.

BA is....fine...but going over sleep is going to be a priority.

Speaking from experience, pack all your gear. The weather there changed constantly, usually from bad to worse and then back to bad.

You're in for a treat though, Roubaix was an incredible sportive experience.

tony_mm
10-16-2019, 11:09 PM
Honestly if you have the money - and you said that you have - or the miles for an upgrade I would fly first class so that you will be sure not to have any problems with your knees etc....And yes for intercontinental flights the difference between First class and Business is huge in terms of sleep.

You also stated that you waited 50 years to do it. Then do it right!
And you never know how the future will be!

Clean39T
10-17-2019, 01:11 AM
Came here excited that you would be flying to Belgium with this guy...

https://alchetron.com/cdn/christian-knees-45a75cce-c719-4a01-a6e7-880f7982672-resize-750.jpg

But anyway, YOLO, spend the money, enjoy the experience - and take pics so we can live vicariously.. :beer:

Lionel
10-17-2019, 05:28 AM
6'5" here BA business is fine. You have a lying flat bed, it's not ultra long or ultra wide. First is obviously better, you get close to a real bed there. For a Florida to Eu flight I would not pay the extra.

AngryScientist
10-17-2019, 07:03 AM
two martinis at the airport.

take a fist full of ambien with your third before boarding.

have a 4th once you get to your seat and you'll forget you even have knees until you get across the pond.

Michael Maddox
10-17-2019, 07:24 AM
two martinis at the airport.

take a fist full of ambien with your third before boarding.

have a 4th once you get to your seat and you'll forget you even have knees until you get across the pond.

THIS. THIS is why I love you.

Lionel
10-17-2019, 07:35 AM
THIS. THIS is why I love you.

Don't do that Ambien is deadly.

thwart
10-17-2019, 07:51 AM
Don't do that Ambien is deadly.

Agree with this... or at least a little stupid.

Booze + Ambien (more than a single dose) can be a real problem for some people. Obviously Nick is not one of those folks, or he's been lucky so far.

Especially a bad idea if you're flying solo.

tv_vt
10-17-2019, 08:12 AM
Ask your travel agent (yes, I use one and they're worth the money) about getting you Emergency Exit row seats in Economy. I'm 6-2 and they have been lifesavers on across the pond flights.

If you're willing to spend the funds to upgrade to a higher level with more leg room, then that's the way to go. But I've never wanted to spend that much more, so the emergency exit row option has worked well for me.

And nothing stronger that ibuprofen for me, thanks. And a glass or two of wine, of course.

Have a great trip! I'm jealous!

GonaSovereign
10-17-2019, 08:30 AM
Spend the money on the lie flats. Get up and stroll the cabin occasionally. Enjoy a glass of something. Why mess up your sportifs to save a few bucks?

FlashUNC
10-17-2019, 08:43 AM
Once again sarcasm fails to travel the transom of the internet.

jambee
10-17-2019, 09:00 AM
If you can afford business class, you will be fine. Most premium airlines crossing the Atlantic have very good business class offerings.

I'd recommend united as their Polaris Business Class is very well designed and very comfy. You should check out reviews here: https://thepointsguy.com/ To get an idea of what various options look like.

If you need to watch the wallet, get an emergency exit row. I fly between Europe and California all the time and am always using that row. Endless leg room ftw!

Have fun!

jlwdm
10-17-2019, 09:01 AM
First class seats are fewer and fewer. The main reason is that business class is so much better now. Far better than first class on US flights.

Go business class. I have lifetime flight benefits, thanks to my wife, so I travel first class but it is not a big deal over business anymore.

Jeff

Michael Maddox
10-17-2019, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the input!

I am in the slanted single seat of business class (aisle/window both) on the upper deck of an A380 for both long flights. Flying British Airways. Still disappointed, after all these years, that the Concorde is out of service. I would've done that in a heartbeat.

Will be heading to Belgium on April 1, 2020 for the Trek Travel Spring Classics Ultimate. I've been putting together kits and wardrobe for the trip, so that I'm prepared for most anything. Relying on layers for most eventualities. The paradox is wanting and dreading a "great Paris-Roubaix" at the same time.

VERY excited to inundate the forum with photos. I've seen far too many awesome shots and amazing stories here to not do the same in return.

FlashUNC
10-17-2019, 10:18 AM
Will be heading to Belgium on April 1, 2020 for the Trek Travel Spring Classics Ultimate. I've been putting together kits and wardrobe for the trip, so that I'm prepared for most anything. Relying on layers for most eventualities. The paradox is wanting and dreading a "great Paris-Roubaix" at the same time.

Pray that it's dry.

Also the sector into Saint Python is only rated three star, but it's downhill with a sweeping right curve that rattles your eyeballs until you can't see.

Lionel
10-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Flash, are you going back next year ?

FlashUNC
10-17-2019, 12:24 PM
Flash, are you going back next year ?

Let me get through Phil's Fondo next weekend first.

I think I had my Roubaix experience for a few years at least. Certainly don't have the hall pass for it.

You pre-booked the chateau I assume?

Lionel
10-17-2019, 12:26 PM
Let me get through Phil's Fondo next weekend first.

I think I had my Roubaix experience for a few years at least. Certainly don't have the hall pass for it.

You pre-booked the chateau I assume?

Not yet !

unterhausen
10-17-2019, 12:26 PM
When you're there, pick up some topical ibuprofen for those knees. Never did figure out why it's not legal in the U.S. It's much safer than taking a pill for the same thing and quite effective.