PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Phinney to retire?

ghammer
10-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Not officially confirmed yet, but some channels are already announcing him hanging up his cleats. Gotta say, after listening to him and Mitch Docker on his (Docker's) podcast, I'm not surprised.

Prongermayer
10-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Confirmed now by Ef.

https://www.efprocycling.com/taylor-phinney-to-retire-from-professional-cycling/?fbclid=IwAR3rW5LBT-MA_lTBFCyqMaeNAwnfaePRGEw2vzANfOrJxVeO_1fVf9D1cZY

echappist
10-16-2019, 03:06 PM
As I stated elsewhere, such a royal effing shame. Prop to the lad for getting back into it and trying, but that injury really messed him up.

In a thread on another board, people have actually forgot that he won a time trial in a relatively long grand tour prologue (which is to say, against other riders who are fresh).

I still remember watching him riding on the front in Richmond. His mom was also there and addressed the crowd. Good memories.

I hope he can find contentment and fulfillment in the next phase of his life, and from what I've read, he's well-rounded enough to do just that

fa63
10-16-2019, 03:08 PM
Not surprised; I don't think his head was in the pro cycling game anymore. Wish him the best of luck with whatever he decides to do next.

FlashUNC
10-16-2019, 04:44 PM
I think his retirement Q&A was a reflection of his honest and frank self-assessment about what he's passionate about and wants to focus on going forward.

If you don't want to do it because of some deep-seated and probably unhealthy competitive drive and don't need to do it to put food on the table, racing bikes at the World Tour level is pretty insane as a job.

Go paint and be your best self.

clyde the point
10-16-2019, 05:18 PM
A great and enjoyable personality on the pro tour. Good luck man. And enjoy your life!

fignon's barber
10-16-2019, 05:26 PM
I can understand him. I think pro cycling is for those who win, and for those who have no other options. If you have other things you prefer in life, 9 years is a long time to be a pro cyclist.

sfscott
10-16-2019, 08:50 PM
Imagine he will join Floyd's of Leadville in a quality control and R&D position.

redir
10-16-2019, 09:57 PM
That's too bad. All it takes is a split second in this sport and your direction changes. He's young and has his whole life ahead of him and will always have great memories. Good for him.

Vientomas
10-16-2019, 10:40 PM
Love the pic of the fries being consumed :) Seems like he is well grounded. I wish him well in whatever endeavor he pursues.

pdmtong
10-16-2019, 10:58 PM
NBC Sports should Replace Christian with Taylor.

tony_mm
10-16-2019, 11:03 PM
Imagine he will join Floyd's of Leadville in a quality control and R&D position.

Love that one! :banana:

I always enjoyed his interviews!

Lanternrouge
10-16-2019, 11:08 PM
I think he will be a lot happier and have a more fulfilling life as he enters his next chapter as he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and other interests. I am curious what he ends up doing with himself.

roguedog
10-16-2019, 11:10 PM
I'm kinda glad/ happy for him. Man that crash was gnarley.

As you all say, if it's no longer calling your name, chase other dreams. Best of luck to him.

echappist
10-16-2019, 11:59 PM

hear hear; only down side is that he may appear to "mellow" for the casual fan

pdmtong
10-17-2019, 12:23 AM
hear hear; only down side is that he may appear to "mellow" for the casual fan
true, but at least he will have his own opinion (unlike CVV who is a simply a well-coiffed parrot and nothing more)

tony_mm
10-17-2019, 02:06 AM
true, but at least he will have his own opinion (unlike CVV who is a simply a well-coiffed parrot and nothing more)

Who is CVV?

merlincustom1
10-17-2019, 06:03 AM
I don’t think Taylor Phinney has any desire to be a bike race commentator.

oldpotatoe
10-17-2019, 06:36 AM

Cheap shot, IMHO..Get over it, weed is legal in 33 states plus Guam and Puerto Rico, probably 8-10 more in the next couple of years. How many 'bike racers' have some relationship with breweries or how many drink alcohol..a MUCH more dangerous and damaging drug.

Ya ever been around any hard core MTB guys? Even 'pros'..Weed is as much a part of their riding as their baggy shorts and helmet visors..

Paging Velotel..also...

Rant off..I know Taylor, have known him since he was barely tall enough to reach a bike top tube. He's a great young man..who had an AWFUL accident' PLUS he isn't the standard pro bike racer 'robot', you see so often..

SO, lighten up on him. Best of luck to him and to continued good luck to Connie and Davis(and Kelsey)...

weisan
10-17-2019, 07:11 AM

fa63
10-17-2019, 07:11 AM
Who is CVV?Christian Vande Velde

Elefantino
10-17-2019, 07:14 AM
We should all be so lucky as to be able to march to our own drummer.

Elefantino
10-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Cheap shot, IMHO..Get over it, weed is legal in 33 states plus Guam and Puerto Rico, probably 8-10 more in the next couple of years. How many 'bike racers' have some relationship with breweries or how many drink alcohol..a MUCH more dangerous and damaging drug.

Ya ever been around any hard core MTB guys? Even 'pros'..Weed is as much a part of their riding as their baggy shorts and helmet visors..

Paging Velotel..also...

Rant off..I know Taylor, have known him since he was barely tall enough to reach a bike top tube. He's a great young man..who had an AWFUL accident' PLUS he isn't the standard pro bike racer 'robot', you see so often..

SO, lighten up on him. Best of luck to him and to continued good luck to Connie and Davis(and Kelsey)...
Amen, Peter.

Bruce K
10-17-2019, 08:15 AM
Wishing him nothing but the best.

A nice young man. The family has dealt with a lot.

BK

RFC
10-17-2019, 09:06 AM
cheap shot, imho..get over it, weed is legal in 33 states plus guam and puerto rico, probably 8-10 more in the next couple of years. How many 'bike racers' have some relationship with breweries or how many drink alcohol..a much more dangerous and damaging drug.

Ya ever been around any hard core mtb guys? Even 'pros'..weed is as much a part of their riding as their baggy shorts and helmet visors..

Paging velotel..also...

Rant off..i know taylor, have known him since he was barely tall enough to reach a bike top tube. He's a great young man..who had an awful accident' plus he isn't the standard pro bike racer 'robot', you see so often..

So, lighten up on him. Best of luck to him and to continued good luck to connie and davis(and kelsey)...

+1

Mr. Pink
10-17-2019, 09:17 AM
I don’t think Taylor Phinney has any desire to be a bike race commentator.

Gawd, I hope not.

Mr. Pink
10-17-2019, 09:18 AM
We should all be so lucky as to be able to march to our own drummer.

Yeah, but, some of us had to work to survive.

BdaGhisallo
10-17-2019, 09:56 AM
For all you lovers of the new generation of lace up cycling shoes, don't forget that you have Taylor Phinney to thank for that. It was his request of Giro to make him a pair of shoes with uppers like the Nike soccer boots he wore as a kid in Italy that lead to the Empire shoe and the other models and brands that followed it.

Jaybee
10-17-2019, 10:09 AM
For all you lovers of the new generation of lace up cycling shoes, don't forget that you have Taylor Phinney to thank for that. It was his request of Giro to make him a pair of shoes with uppers like the Nike soccer boots he wore as a kid in Italy that lead to the Empire shoe and the other models and brands that followed it.

Then he's my new hero. Empires and Empire VR90s all day, forever and ever.

oldpotatoe
10-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Ahh geez, Mavic had a pair of ‘modern’ lace ups like 15 years ago. Just weren’t shiny, funky colored leather.

ultraman6970
10-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Hope he is retiring Boulder Guy. :)

dmurphey
10-17-2019, 08:11 PM
I vote for more TP on the commentary side.

gemship
10-18-2019, 06:38 PM
I really don't know much about pro cycling regarding a career in it but this fella is said to have had 12 years doing it. That seems like a long time and he's 29 years old. That may seem young as it is for most posters on this forum but when you think about it this fella just invested a good chunk of his life and at 29 I would say he is at the right age to make a wise decision.

Regarding those that harp on that one really bad leg breaking accident....did you all read the article? I mean I know what you are all saying but even Phinney states in so many words that he spent more time at pro cycling enduring some aspect of recovering from an injury whilst riding than at full 100% healthy shape. Put that in perspective, I would say that a long list of injuries/ ailments added up but that's not all. He went on to say that just because he had loads of talent and ability the passion was lost. To that effect I believe if he had the drive then who knows how far he would've gone but like he says and seems to believe it doesn't matter when the drive is not there. And that's probably the nugget to why this conversation is the least bit interesting. Twelve years though....that's a decade, just wow.

Now here's a long shot but just what if he ends up having twice the life making a living as an artist?...now that's interesting.

tombtfslpk
10-19-2019, 04:22 PM
I'm thinking classic Saturday Night Live/Weekend Update. Using him as a counterpoint to Jens? ;)

Steve in SLO
10-20-2019, 09:59 AM
Just read that he wants to dedicate more time to art, and that he feels very excited about the prospect of creating.
His Instagram is Manifest Butter, for all who are interested.