PDA

View Full Version : Cannell Plunge Kernville Intell

weaponsgrade
10-16-2019, 01:08 PM
I'm heading down to Kernville last weekend in Oct to ride the Cannell Plunge trail. Looking for some intell on the area. I'll be camping out the night before and taking a shuttle run by Mountain River Adventures. The ride profile looks like 99% downhill, but I thought I read somewhere there's about 2000 feet of climbing at elevation. Is that right? About how long does it take people to do the ride? What are some other short/long recommended rides in the area? If I'm not too wiped out after the Cannell Plunge I'd be up for doing another short ride. I've got a two night reservation, but I'm not sure I'll be able to stay a second night. If I can stay another night, then I'll plan on a longish ride the next day. If I can't stay another night, then I'm thinking about either a short ride after the Cannell Plunge or maybe a short hike to see a bit more of the area before I leave.

Are there any restaurants nearby? or should I plan on cooking?

tctyres
10-16-2019, 02:45 PM
> Mountain River Adventures ...

Are there any restaurants nearby? or should I plan on cooking?

We were up north of there (Camp Nelson) over Labor Day. It depends on how much of what is listed on google is open in Kernville. I would do the map search and then call the Adventures company.

When we were in Camp Nelson, there was really nothing outside of the local diner. We hadn't planned on cooking, but we should have. It would have been easier.

In terms of riding, I don't know the area, but given what we saw at Camp Nelson, yes, there are other trails there. Again, I'd chat with the company.

I'd also look at the Strava heatmap. ;)

jimcav
10-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Is another fun trail. Starts up at the local ski area and is about 5 almost all downhill but very fun. U can link it to a recreation area near lake Isabelle but that name escapes me now but I want to say Keyesville The trail after just outstanding had a snake name as I recall. This is a point to point ride. I liked the pizza joint and brewery in kernville for food. There are some nice intermediate trails just north of kernville and west of the river: go over the bridge in town, then go right on the road just past the shops/bars (don't follow the road as it curves and away from town), and then go all the way back the road ends at the trail. There is also a trail on the east side of the river as u head up north along the river near where the river crosses from being on the west side of the road to the east. It is supposedly long and looked like there was some exposure. The local guide company can give you info as I got this info from our rafting guide.

rheosibal
10-16-2019, 05:31 PM
By any chance, are you there for the Latigo Campout? I'll be there, holler!