PDA

View Full Version : Strava app no longer supports pairing with sensors

Tall
10-16-2019, 06:28 AM
Just got this email from Strava last night, announcing that their app will no longer support direct pairing with ANT or Bluetooth sensors. As someone who regularly used a HR strap and a cadence sensor connected to the app, this is pretty annoying. I'm not using any fitness watches or Wahoo Bolt, and so I guess I'll have to see if any other Android app supports pairing with my sensors and then syncs to Strava. Sigh.

When you record a workout on Strava, it’s our job to make sure your effort is captured accurately and reliably. We recently discovered that pairing Bluetooth heart rate monitors and power meters directly with the app is causing Strava to crash for millions of athletes — most of whom don’t even use these kinds of sensors. So to significantly improve the stability of the app, we’ll no longer support direct Bluetooth and ANT+ device pairing as of October 28th, 2019.

If you record activities using a GPS watch or bike computer, this change will not affect you at all. But if you want to record activities using your phone and capture sensor data, you’ll have to record with one of the many apps that upload to Strava. Here are some tips to get you started. We know that even small changes in your routine or equipment can make a big difference, so we appreciate your understanding.

boywander
10-16-2019, 06:48 AM
Sports-tracker works with HR sensors etc..

stien
10-16-2019, 06:55 AM
I just saw that too. You could use the Wahoo app. We got it to use the kickrs but noticed it also goes "outside"

monkeytusmc
10-16-2019, 08:30 AM
Wow. This surprises me. Instead of fixing the issue they are just canning the capability. Pretty crappy if you ask me especially if you are a summit user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benb
10-16-2019, 08:33 AM
They haven't fixed or improved much of anything in years. I suppose this is not surprising.

The only things they've added/changed in the last few years is adding all the Zwift/Trainerroad/Peloton/whatever crap that clogs the feed.

boywander
10-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Who knows maybe they’re going to get bought up by Zwift or maybe even Peloton soon enough.

fkelly
10-16-2019, 09:13 AM
I just went through a bunch of steps pairing my Garmin speed sensor 2 with ride with Gps. Excellent support from the rwgps staff by the way. Had problem where the sensor would "drop" out intermittently (reporting a speed of zero) then kick back in. Eventually resolved (has worked perfectly the last three rides).

Basically the rwgps app will pair with any bluetooth based sensor. The Garmin Sensor 2 supports both bluetooth and ANT. Likewise the latest Garmin heart rate strap does.

There is a review of the sensor recently in DCrainmaker. The Garmin support site has a large number of posts about difficulties of pairing. Nothing definitive. I removed the sensor, took it apart, put it back together, spit on it, and installed on front hub instead of rear and something got it working.

R3awak3n
10-16-2019, 09:39 AM
I think the new ios is massing up a lot of bluetooth stuff. Frankly not surprised at this, they probably figured out most ppl using the app are not using sensors

sonicCows
10-16-2019, 09:45 AM
I just saw that too. You could use the Wahoo app. We got it to use the kickrs but noticed it also goes "outside"

Which Wahoo app do you recommend? It appears they have several

zmalwo
10-16-2019, 01:17 PM
this really sucks. I was using my phone was a bike computer.

kppolich
10-16-2019, 01:24 PM
My guess is this will soon be a 'new feature' for Summit users only or a package there and not available to us common town folk.

zmalwo
10-16-2019, 01:26 PM
I wonder if cutting off the app updates for starva keeping it the current version would continue to make it work.

fkelly
10-16-2019, 01:31 PM
The rwgps app is free and works fine with Android. There is also a IOS version. I can't confirm whether the newest IOS causes bluetooth problems.

Just to extend my previous post: I added the Garmin speed sensor after I had a GPS signal drop out during a ride and lost some miles and other data. In dozens of rides I've recorded using the app and GPS I only had GPS signal drop out a couple of times but thought that having the speed sensor would provide redundancy.

The Garmin speed sensor has a little computer in it and besides sending a bluetooth signal to your bike computer also records your activity and will synch it up to Garmin connect if you put the Garmin connect app on your phone. Since I already put my activities on rwgps I don't need (or want) the activity recording.

If I had it to do over I'd probably look for a simpler and more reliable bluetooth sensor that simply sends a signal to an app on a phone.

stien
10-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Which Wahoo app do you recommend? It appears they have several

I use Wahoo Fitness and have enjoyed it. Pretty customizable screens vs Strava which won’t even try to give you approx real time speed.

Tall
10-19-2019, 01:38 PM
I use Wahoo Fitness and have enjoyed it. Pretty customizable screens vs Strava which won’t even try to give you approx real time speed.
Can you track different bikes from within that app (and that syncs with the bikes I have set up in Strava)? That would be one of the more important features for me.

Spdntrxi
10-19-2019, 02:00 PM
They haven't fixed or improved much of anything in years. I suppose this is not surprising.

The only things they've added/changed in the last few years is adding all the Zwift/Trainerroad/Peloton/whatever crap that clogs the feed.

I started noticing last year.. just drop those clubs and it will reduce greatly. If any clubs starts doing that..I just drop them.

purpurite
10-28-2019, 12:31 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I thought there would be a whole lot more outrage over this. I bought Wahoo HRM and cadence sensors for my bikes and have been using them connected to Strava for 2 years+ now. Suddenly they decide that they aren't going to support Bluetooth accessories? And with a weak-ass excuse, to boot.

I'm completely irritated that they just threw up their hands and said, "sorry, we give up." The change was supposed to happen today. My plan is to not ever update Strava at this point and see if it continues to work. I have never had issues with it, so I don't see any need to change.

Or maybe I'll try the Wahoo Fitness app. :rolleyes:

fkelly
10-28-2019, 12:40 PM
Received the following email from rwgps today:

Introducing Strava Ride Sync

We’ve always believed in giving you more options with your data, while making it convenient. After all, it’s your data. That’s why we are introducing Strava ride sync.

Best-in-class voice navigation, offline maps, and Bluetooth sensor support in one app with no compromises. Enjoy the convenience of recording your rides with the Ride with GPS mobile app, and still have the option of getting kudos when the ride is automatically synced to your Strava account.

I personally don't have any use for Strava. I use the rwgps app on my Android phone for recording rides and uploading them to the rwgps web site. If you are committed to storing your rides on Strava this might be an option.

By the way, I would find another blue tooth speed sensor. The Garmin one is too complicated (it actually stores and uploads your ride data to Garmin). I'd try to find one that just reliably sends a bluetooth signal to a "head" unit.

My app is paired by bluetooth to a Garmin hr sensor, a Garmin speed sensor, and a Stages powermeter. I had some problems getting the speed sensor to work reliably but seem to have overcome them (no thanks to Garmin support by the way). RWGPS is a small company comparatively but if you post a support issue to them someone who knows what they are doing and has access to the developers will get back to you in fairly short order.