PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

122294m040
10-16-2019, 12:20 AM
Hi I'm new to the forum I just wanted some advice.

I currently have a road bike that's way too big for me and a single speed road bike that is perfect. The road bike is 64cm and my fixie is 55cm.

I want to go on longer rides and miss the gears. Should I break apart the Fuji road bike and throw the components on a new frame or buy a whole new bike?

Has anyone put together a road bike using old parts? I've done it with an old road bike but just to make it into a fixie. I guess the biggest fear I have is the cables? And derailers?

Thanks in advance!! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191016/cc925759ce9978493bd4bf0e6ab53d54.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191016/8c024f9dab2ff2c7bcd4aebdc220670e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

joosttx
10-16-2019, 12:28 AM
Hi looks like your stem on your road bike is longer than your fixie. Perhaps buying a shorter stem and replacing it will make your road bike just perfect.

But it would be wise to measure your reach first (Tip of saddle to middle of handlebars) on both bikes to confirm that this is an issue.

122294m040
10-16-2019, 12:34 AM
Hi looks like your stem on your road bike is longer than your fixie. Perhaps buying a shorter stem and replacing it will make your road bike just perfect.

Without my clipless on the Fuji it's uncomfortable to ride. The seat post is slammed to the frame. I'm not that tall I'm 5'11 I think the 64cm frame is supposed to be for someone like 6'6. The aventon on the other hand has a raised seatpost. Let me see if I can find a better picture.

122294m040
10-16-2019, 12:45 AM
Hopefully this picture is a little better. But yes you're right about the stem length. The two are pretty different. My dad bought the Fuji on Craigslist and I bought the fixie off of a friend. Besides tires and innertubes I haven't done anything to the bikes. I love the Fuji but I feel the frame is too big but I love how light it is and how well it feels to turn on it. The Aventon feels like more balanced and set to the ground if that makes any sense? Both are 700x25 so idk why it feels like this?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191016/c0c0cd75524b0112365bd63672645522.jpg

joosttx
10-16-2019, 12:46 AM
Without my clipless on the Fuji it's uncomfortable to ride. The seat post is slammed to the frame. I'm not that tall I'm 5'11 I think the 64cm frame is supposed to be for someone like 6'6. The aventon on the other hand has a raised seatpost. Let me see if I can find a better picture.

My bad, I thought I read 54cm and not 64cm. Good luck.

ultraman6970
10-16-2019, 12:55 AM
JUst to start 64 cm and 5'11 tall do not mix at all.

You could grab the parts and put them in a smaller frame, is doable but whats your budget? asking because if you are looking for like the same standard than the fuji then probably you are better getting a new use one in the right size you know. All depends on the budget.

You can put a bike together using old parts, the issue is to have parts that work together, no idea what you have there moving around and again you stop at the word budget because you could get the same fuji at CL for 250 bucks which probably will be a lot quicker than trying to make work a lot of parts you could have moving around.

Everyting now a days is tied to budget and what are you looking for.

Hope this helps.

gasman
10-16-2019, 01:00 AM
I hate to say it but if you want to be comfortable on your road bike for longer rides your going to need about a 56-58 cm frame. You can move the components over from your Fuji. If you are not sure about how to move everything just do one step at a time ie. move the brakes, then wheels then derailleur then brake/shifters. You tube can be your friend.
If that feels like too much a good shop should be able to help.

Welcome , best of luck and keep us up with your progress.

zmalwo
10-16-2019, 01:03 AM
Can you do it yourself? if not it's not worth it to move your 2 generation old sora components to a new frame. your components worth half of what it would cost to move them by a shop. I would just sell the bike and get a used one for under $200 bucks. medium sized bikes are the most abundant kind on the market.

122294m040
10-16-2019, 01:08 AM
JUst to start 64 cm and 5'11 tall do not mix at all.

You could grab the parts and put them in a smaller frame, is doable but whats your budget? asking because if you are looking for like the same standard than the fuji then probably you are better getting a new use one in the right size you know. All depends on the budget.

You can put a bike together using old parts, the issue is to have parts that work together, no idea what you have there moving around and again you stop at the word budget because you could get the same fuji at CL for 250 bucks which probably will be a lot quicker than trying to make work a lot of parts you could have moving around.

Everyting now a days is tied to budget and what are you looking for.

Hope this helps.For a frame I was thinking around $300 on eBay?

And for a complete bike I wanna spend like $800. I seen a really nice gravel bike with drops and all that for $1300 but it is a little out of my budget. But I honestly don't plan on buying bikes frequently so maybe I can wait off till after winter and buy it?

Side note: I want to ride from Los Angeles to santa Barbara next summer. Just to see if I can do it.

122294m040
10-16-2019, 01:10 AM
Can you do it yourself? if not it's not worth it to move your 2 generation old sora components to a new frame. your components worth half of what it would cost to move them by a shop. I would just sell the bike and get a used one for under $200 bucks. medium sized bikes are the most abundant kind on the market.A lot of the nicer bikes are larger frame sizes. The medium sized frames look more beat up. Or are mountain bikes. But thanks. From what I'm understanding is it will probably be cheaper to sell it and buy a new one.

tctyres
10-16-2019, 06:12 AM
Welcome!
I wouldn't move the components. I'd just get a new bike. Both Fuji's and Diamondbacks are decent deals at your price point.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273979175671

Blue Jays
10-16-2019, 06:44 AM
My guidance would be to simply sell the big Fuji roadbike as-is without any changes.
This will minimize number of incompatible parts or dealing with worn components.
Then start from fresh with either a new bicycle or a really sweet used bicycle.

Good luck with the project! :banana: :hello: :banana: :hello:

ultraman6970
10-16-2019, 08:42 AM
WHat he says....

Sell it... you have a budget, add the 150 you could get from the fuji and start chasing for a newer bike in the right size and that can do what you want it to do.

Market is weak so you could find a good deal IMO.

122294m040
10-16-2019, 10:51 PM
I went down to REI to check out the bikes since I'm a co-op member of get a little cash back. The selection is small. But getting 10%-15% back seems pretty cool. I'm not so sure about spending the 1,300(ish) + tax on a bike I'm not in love with. And the new bikes for around 700 are all downhill hard tails. Which are cool but I don't see myself using the bike for what it's intended for.

Also going to check out a few local bike shops to sell my bike to over the weekend.

Dino SuegiĆ¹
10-16-2019, 11:04 PM
I went down to REI to check out the bikes since I'm a co-op member of get a little cash back. The selection is small. But getting 10%-15% back seems pretty cool. I'm not so sure about spending the 1,300(ish) + tax on a bike I'm not in love with. And the new bikes for around 700 are all downhill hard tails. Which are cool but I don't see myself using the bike for what it's intended for.

Also going to check out a few local bike shops to sell my bike to over the weekend.

Yes, but that 10%-15% dividend isn't so great when the bicycle you buy depreciates to 50% + in one day, and you're not sure it's the right thing.

Be patient and careful:
Test ride some bicycles at your LBS's; find the correct size; scour your local Craigslist, your LBS's bulletin board, the classifieds here, and eBay for candidates; and then decide.

And sell the Fuji as-is as others have advised.

prototoast
10-16-2019, 11:08 PM

$700 or so can get you a pretty good used bike. Where are you located? There are a lot of forum members who may be looking to sell something, and could probably let you test ride first.

122294m040
10-16-2019, 11:14 PM
$700 or so can get you a pretty good used bike. Where are you located? There are a lot of forum members who may be looking to sell something, and could probably let you test ride first.Very close to Cal State LA. Yeah I've been looking in offer up more than Craigslist. And I'm super new to the forum. I was looking through during my lunch break but nothing stood out? I'm not in a rush I want something that will last me a few years. And a bike that when I look at it it makes me want to go for a ride. I fell in love with my fixie and went on a 40 mile ride one weekend just cause it was sunny lol I want to feel the same about the road bike. The fixie I use to commute to the gym/ market when I don't want to lose street parking.

Ken Robb
10-16-2019, 11:31 PM
Isn't there a good deal on a complete bike 57-59 in our classifieds? This is almost always a better/safer place to buy than Craigslist.

122294m040
10-17-2019, 12:59 AM
Ok I couldn't reply to the classified section cause I'm a new member and need to reach 30 posts or something.

But what do y'all think of this?

I know it's out of my price range but I'm not in a huge rush so I can save a little more and i can get something similar or if it's still available ill make an offer.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Ethepaceline%2Enet %2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D243335&share_tid=243335&share_fid=60324&share_type=t&link_source=app

tctyres
10-17-2019, 08:58 AM
That's a pretty nice bike. High quality 10s group.

Not sure where you are in LA, but I know that the REI in Santa Monica often has road bikes. The next sale is going to be in Nov (see here (https://mschausprojects.blogspot.com/2015/05/rei-member-sale-and-coupon-timing.html) as discussed in this thread (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=243156&highlight=rei)). IMO, if you can get a Cannondale CAAD12 or 13 on sale there, you're way ahead of the game.

Also, you haven't really identified your size. I ride a fixed/ss that is smaller than my road bike. You might want to get a tape measure and a friend and do the competitive cyclist fit calculator: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp
That's going to give you a good idea of what fits within a cm.

122294m040
10-17-2019, 09:56 AM
That's a pretty nice bike. High quality 10s group.

Not sure where you are in LA, but I know that the REI in Santa Monica often has road bikes. The next sale is going to be in Nov (see here (https://mschausprojects.blogspot.com/2015/05/rei-member-sale-and-coupon-timing.html) as discussed in this thread (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=243156&highlight=rei)). IMO, if you can get a Cannondale CAAD12 or 13 on sale there, you're way ahead of the game.

Also, you haven't really identified your size. I ride a fixed/ss that is smaller than my road bike. You might want to get a tape measure and a friend and do the competitive cyclist fit calculator: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

That's going to give you a good idea of what fits within a cm.My closest REI is the one in Arcadia. I went yesterday. As I slowly do more research I'm liking gravel. Cause you can do a little more with it? Not sure that I would do anything off road but It would be nice to have the option.

cash05458
10-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Yep, I would sell the fuji...figure out your size (you sound def. like a 56 or maybe 57) and keep your eye on craigslist...a buddy of mine wanted to get into road stuff and we found him a perfectly fine Lemond Zurich with all ultegra in great shape for 300 bucks...there are some good deals out there for sure in the used market...

beeatnik
10-17-2019, 02:05 PM
My closest REI is the one in Arcadia. I went yesterday. As I slowly do more research I'm liking gravel. Cause you can do a little more with it? Not sure that I would do anything off road but It would be nice to have the option.

I'm in the Boyle Heights/East LA/City Terrace/University Hills/Alhambra/Monterey Park/Hillside Village/El Sereno/South Pas area. I have a few sources/bikas in mind for you. Also, I'm sure we have a few mutual friends. DM me en el Insta

https://www.instagram.com/beeatnik/

and don't buy a "gravel bike"