PDA

View Full Version : carbon or AL seatpost

steelbikerider
10-13-2019, 04:26 PM
I know this has been asked a million times before but I just discovered a line of corrosion eating into my AL seatpost that perfectly matches the slot on the seat tube lug and tube. It has eaten throught the black surface and started on the silver. Time for a new seatpost. I'm 200 lbs and it is a Ritchey WCS AL. Would a carbon WCS be ok for my weight or stick with AL.

The seatpost is at least 10 years old and I'm blaming myself for not greasing the seatpost more often.

boywander
10-13-2019, 10:15 PM
It sounds bad, but how deep is the corrosion? If it just through the anodize layer, just wipe it clean and inspect it. Chances are you can put anti seize on it and keep it.

ultraman6970
10-13-2019, 11:46 PM
200 pounds IMO is not a problem, im 200+... had some carbon seatpost and never had a problem.

As for the Aluminum seatpost, well... before installing put some lithium grease in the seat tube and seatpost plus some carbon paste and you should be ok. The other thing, twice a year just lose the seatpost and move it side to side a tiny bit.

BTW, carbon seatpost needs grease and assembly paste aswell, those can get stuck aswell eh.

R3awak3n
10-14-2019, 04:26 AM
Carbon post ok for your weight.

Never grease a carbon post but carbon paste recommended. In some instances its ok to run naked, I did on my alum frame. Try to find a ritchey superlogic, great post. Its expensive but I have been able to get em cheaper used here from the forum

oldpotatoe
10-14-2019, 06:05 AM
I know this has been asked a million times before but I just discovered a line of corrosion eating into my AL seatpost that perfectly matches the slot on the seat tube lug and tube. It has eaten throught the black surface and started on the silver. Time for a new seatpost. I'm 200 lbs and it is a Ritchey WCS AL. Would a carbon WCS be ok for my weight or stick with AL.

The seatpost is at least 10 years old and I'm blaming myself for not greasing the seatpost more often.

Another issue is which frame this carbon seatpost is going to go into. "steelbikerider' is your screen name..A lot of steel frames have the below way of securing the SP and 'can' crack one because the 'hole' doesn't stay real round. If you have a detachable collar, turn it around 180 degrees so the bolt is opposite the slot..so when tightening it stays rounder.

saab2000
10-14-2019, 07:17 AM
Another issue is which frame this carbon seatpost is going to go into. "steelbikerider' is your screen name..A lot of steel frames have the below way of securing the SP and 'can' crack one because the 'hole' doesn't stay real round. If you have a detachable collar, turn it around 90 degress so the bolt is opposite the slot..so when tightening it stays rounder.

That’s 180° to you, Airman.

oldpotatoe
10-14-2019, 07:35 AM
That’s 180° to you, Airman.

HA!!..I went to University of Colorado....so I can't count or read...:)

boywander
10-14-2019, 07:59 AM
HA!!..I went to University of Colorado....so I can't count or read...:)

It’s alright, we know what you meant.
Plus you screen name excuses you from it haha..

jamesdak
10-14-2019, 08:09 AM
Another issue is which frame this carbon seatpost is going to go into. "steelbikerider' is your screen name..A lot of steel frames have the below way of securing the SP and 'can' crack one because the 'hole' doesn't stay real round. If you have a detachable collar, turn it around 180 degrees so the bolt is opposite the slot..so when tightening it stays rounder.

Yep, this is a reoccurring concern when using on steel frames. I'm running a couple on some of my classic steel but check them often. I've never had an issue but to be honest I haven't used a C.F. seatpost on any of my builds in the past couple of years.

ultraman6970
10-14-2019, 08:28 AM
What potato says aswell... no idea what bike the op is talking about so the op needs to check on all of those tiny details.

If steel I would just go with an Aluminum seatpost and even with those ones I have my fav brand, crampagnolo. Used several brands an nothing but probably shimano comes close to what campagnolo made, Always talking about high end spectrum, in the low end even a kalloy high end seatpost works really well.

I do not know if this is just me or if another rider here feels the same (i know 3 that had the issue). With carbon seatpost my issue is that the "harmonics" of them kind'a mess me up with my pedaling. I rely in high cadence (but not climbing) so if the seatpost flex at my 230 pounds it does what it suppose to do (flex a little) but the bouncing mess my pedaling. That made me move to aluminum seatpost exclusively a few years ago.

mulp
10-14-2019, 09:53 AM
Like others have said, carbon would be fine but just don't think its worth the premium.

redir
10-14-2019, 10:19 AM
Get a Thomson and fuggetaboutit.

simonov
10-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Get a Thomson and fuggetaboutit.

Egads no. The only post I've cracked. Twice.

redir
10-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Egads no. The only post I've cracked. Twice.

Hmmm not a very good endorsement for sure. Most people have no problems with them.

Many years back when carbon posts were starting to become a thing I did one cyclocross race and I kid you not three carbon posts cracked right off the bikes for three individual riders. It was a big pro race at teh time and the announcer kept making jokes about yet another rider coming by the start/finish line with no saddle to sit on. It was crazy. After that I swore off carbon posts.