PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Varia Feature Comparison?

smontanaro
10-13-2019, 03:10 PM
Can someone comment on feature differences between the Garmin Varia 500 and 510? The 510 appears to be the new shiny toy, so the 500 turns up used here and there. I don't see any mention of the older unit on the Garmin website, often for less than half the list price of the newer unit. Are both units compatible with Wahoo Elemnt computers (providing they have the latest software update)?

kramnnim
10-13-2019, 07:10 PM
New one has much better battery life and brighter blinking leds. I think it only comes with one mount instead of two like the old one?

R3awak3n
10-13-2019, 07:24 PM
Get the new one

rnhood
10-13-2019, 07:50 PM
Yes, the new one has significant improvements. Not that the old one did not do its job, but the new one has a couple nice features. The light is vertical so stays in line with the seat post. Minor, but that is the way the original one should have been designed. The light is much brighter, and blinks faster as a vehicle approaches. If you don't use the radar, it still makes an excellent rear tailight. But the radar is a nice feature, especially if you ride alone. It doesn't take the place of a mirror, or looking behind you, but it sure provides a nice heads up with approaching rear traffic.

With the new Garmin 1030 head unit, you can change modes, turn it on and off, and a couple other things. This may be true with any of the newer Garmin head units (830, etc).

I never though the rear light on the original was very effective. The new one is.

kohagen
10-13-2019, 08:35 PM
New one has much better battery life and brighter blinking leds. I think it only comes with one mount instead of two like the old one?

It comes with a seat post mount with two inserts that work with round or tapered posts.

Davist
10-14-2019, 04:09 AM
I used a tail light and the old one as I didn't feel the light was bright enough to be a tail light. The new one is brighter and can be used standalone. I bought the old one to try it out for about $60 off a buddy and passed it on at the same $$ once I knew I liked it. Get the new one is my advice.

madsciencenow
10-14-2019, 06:26 AM
Like others have said above, get the new one! I owned both and have observed both on riders up the road and at 1/2 to 3/4 mile you can barely see the old one while the new one is clearly visible in day light. Beyond the other differences already mentioned, it seems to me that the new one may have a bit field of detection. I say this because it takes longer for cars to disappear from my edge device than it did with the old varia.

commonguy001
10-14-2019, 06:44 AM
I got the old one cheap from a friend and haven’t upgraded yet but I also use a separate flasher most of the time. I think of it as a radar only.
I’ll eventually upgrade as the vertical form factor and brightness would be worth it.

kramnnim
10-14-2019, 10:17 AM
It comes with a seat post mount with two inserts that work with round or tapered posts.

Old one also came with a clamp on mount for round posts. I guess a lot of new bikes don't use round posts anymore...

kramnnim
10-14-2019, 10:28 AM
I got the old one cheap from a friend and haven’t upgraded yet but I also use a separate flasher most of the time. I think of it as a radar only.
I’ll eventually upgrade as the vertical form factor and brightness would be worth it.

This is what I do, since the old LEDs aren't very bright, and I can't get much more than 4 hours out of the battery with them turned on.

Side note, as far as I could tell, you can't turn the LEDs off with a Wahoo. So if you plan to use a Wahoo and want the radar to last more than 4 hours, don't get the old radar unit...