PDA

View Full Version : Zwift Alternatives

tjk23
10-13-2019, 07:48 AM
Looking for an alternative to Zwift. Just wondering what others are using. I have used TrainerRoad and The Sufferfest and wanting to try something other that those two.

Black Dog
10-13-2019, 07:52 AM
Walking, running, X-country skiing, hiking, basketball, hockey.....or just dancing...:banana:

sitzmark
10-13-2019, 08:07 AM
CycleOps Rouvy (previously CVT). Haven’t use the last couple of versions but previously could video your rides (combined with GPS data) in real time and ride against it on the trainer. Speed of video and distance traveled auto-synching with power/speed being put into trainer. There is a bank of rides from around the world to draw from so you can get a sense for what they are like - visually and tactically, especially if using erg mode trainer.

Hank Scorpio
10-13-2019, 08:19 AM
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/tag/trainer-apps

mflaherty37
10-13-2019, 09:20 AM
fulgaz app

teleguy57
10-13-2019, 01:50 PM
Here is a very helpful video on the topic. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8EbOD4f9-g&list=PLq3UJrMev0yID9Lrlu4WOW1SLuEqPf3a5&index=9&t=0s) Tariq has a great site with top-notch info. I sent him a question about something and we had a great email exchange where he dug in and went above and beyond to help me. Highly recommended.

tjk23
10-23-2019, 04:03 PM
Okay, so anyone else using Rouvy. I have got to get away from Zwift. Every time I ride I end up irritated. I can't seem to make myself ride slow on Zwift, feel the constant need to chase someone down or keep up with a faster rider. Also irritated with the Zwift heroes that can average 400+ watts for an hour on Zwift and can't break 16mph in real life. I enjoy the virtual riding just not sure how good Rouvy has gotten, mixed reviews online, looking for real user opinions.

dsimon
10-23-2019, 04:51 PM
My Wife and I use Fulgaz with a family plane 120 for a year I think its great I just wish it had some music or something

Geeheeb
10-23-2019, 07:09 PM
Okay, so anyone else using Rouvy. I have got to get away from Zwift. Every time I ride I end up irritated. I can't seem to make myself ride slow on Zwift, feel the constant need to chase someone down or keep up with a faster rider. Also irritated with the Zwift heroes that can average 400+ watts for an hour on Zwift and can't break 16mph in real life. I enjoy the virtual riding just not sure how good Rouvy has gotten, mixed reviews online, looking for real user opinions.

I use Rouvy on bad weather days because I don't like the gamification of zwift. Its great to ride in the desert when I live in Michigan.

I prefer the phone app display to the ipad version

makoti
10-23-2019, 07:22 PM
I use Rouvy on bad weather days because I don't like the gamification of zwift. Its great to ride in the desert when I live in Michigan.

I prefer the phone app display to the ipad version

Can you build erg workouts like you can in zwift? Or is it all riding the actual course? I usually do erg, but a change of scenery would be nice

Tommasini53
10-23-2019, 07:38 PM
Walking, running, X-country skiing, hiking, basketball, hockey.....or just dancing...:banana:
+1

I can only add..Kreitler rollers w/headwind fan if it is absolutely intolerable outside. As for zwift, if you can't fall over...you are not bicycling.

Jere
10-23-2019, 11:43 PM
Hi

I’m gonna use that saying, because many people ask why I have Rollers at my house and the Kids for indoor days.
If you can't fall over...you are not bicycling.

Thanks I like that.
Jere B

Pierre
10-24-2019, 04:15 AM
Okay, so anyone else using Rouvy. I have got to get away from Zwift. Every time I ride I end up irritated. I can't seem to make myself ride slow on Zwift, feel the constant need to chase someone down or keep up with a faster rider. Also irritated with the Zwift heroes that can average 400+ watts for an hour on Zwift and can't break 16mph in real life. .

You and me both, bud. Exactly how I feel.

I go with TrainerRoad while watching some good Netflix shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigoat
10-24-2019, 06:07 AM
I still use Rouvy occassionally, probably more so now that the warm riding season is almost over. It beats going to a spinning class in the winter. Rouvy has an excellent workout (ERG) interface. The workout interface has a huge virtual "button" that I like to use on the fly to increase and decrease my ERG power control. I use mostly my own custom workouts but they have a lot of options to choose from. I am also impressed with their road riding simulation that uses real routes with live Google maps. They also have some augmented reality routes which use real road recorded videos but with VR characters on the screen like in Zwift. Hope they will continue to improve the software, as Rouvy is the only indoor cycling app I use.

redir
10-24-2019, 08:47 AM
If I wanted to just ride I would definitely look into Rouvy. Rouvy is an augmented reality and puts you in what looks like a real world not a cartoon. Zwift seems more like a racers training too. I mean the video game aspect of it can be cool like riding on a glass pathway above a virtual city but it gets old. But when you are doing Zwift workouts or races the virtual world is secondary. Rouvy has 'real' sites so if you want to ride in an augmented realty Ireland you can. I never tried it but i looked into it last year and thought it was pretty cool.

madsciencenow
10-24-2019, 09:03 AM
I’ve used Rouvy and liked it better than Zwift. It was glitchy last Winter and didn’t always start-up correctly on my iPad so I turned it off for the summer in favor of Zwift. I’ll be turning it back on over the Winter months to see what they’ve added/improved.

cash05458
10-24-2019, 10:43 AM
I use Zwift mostly but am doing the two week free trial of fulgaz...why not as no card needed...it's actually pretty good and different...worth a look anyhow if you are interested...uses the filmed rides etc and works pretty much like zwift via your smart trainer...nice alternative actually to the gamey world of zwift...I am digging it so far and they seem to have a good selection of rides...did the tour of flanders route this morn...different than zwift...

kramnnim
10-24-2019, 12:39 PM
There's CVRCade (lol)

And Onelap if you use a translator

RoadGrandTours

And the thing the Mick Rogers was part of, can't remember the name. Virtugo?

tjk23
01-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Still searching for Zwift alternative. Looking at Kinomap, Rouvy, and BigringVR. Any user information would be appreciated. Not concerned about the social aspect just want realistic gradients and good UI.

Vamoots58
01-12-2020, 06:11 PM
+1 for FulGaz!! Been having a lot of Zwift issues lately. Going to try a Zwift-free Feb, and just use FulGaz...

glepore
01-13-2020, 07:28 AM
Just a plug for Veloreality. The software is free, you purchase videos and they're reasonable. 4k if your computer can run it, hd if not. I use a projector and the experience is really immersive. All of the great Europe stuff, and some Utah/Colorado and California, along with some other misc. stuff. Really like it.

madsciencenow
01-13-2020, 07:43 AM
I used Zwift for a few years and switched to Rouvy this year. I feel like the resistance applied on climbs is realistic or maybe even a little harder than in reality but the cool thing is you can dial the reality level down in settings to decrease the resistance as needed. The only glitch I’ve noticed is descending big climbs where there are switchbacks or a need to slow down. On the trainer you don’t need to do this but obviously the person who shot the video did so there’s a tendency to have a pause in the video. Your virtual distance and speed are not impacted and the video eventually catches up. It pissed me off when it first happened but once I discovered that my distance and speed were/are still running I relaxed and just kept pedaling.

jb_11
01-13-2020, 11:12 AM

If your only issue with Zwift is the other riders, you can disconnect your internet connection after you start your ride. Everyone will disappear and you have the place to yourself. Just reconnect before you close if you want the data saved.

cash05458
01-13-2020, 02:52 PM
If your only issue with Zwift is the other riders, you can disconnect your internet connection after you start your ride. Everyone will disappear and you have the place to yourself. Just reconnect before you close if you want the data saved.

Interesting...did not know that!

cash05458
01-13-2020, 04:17 PM
There is a free one in beta...grand road tour I think its called... or maybe road grand tour? one of those anyhow...kinda a crappy version of Zwift but they must be pretty small people wise...worth checking out as it's free etc...

Pierre
01-13-2020, 04:49 PM
I have now started using xertonline. It does two really cool things: 1 - it takes your event power data from rides and computes an FTP for you (so no tests ever again unless you enjoy them!). It also provides very clever workouts which will get you to a given objective (say a race in three months time) based on where you suggest you want to end up. It also has “smart” workouts that actually adjust duration based on the power you are putting out. Did I mention it computes your FTP? Love it. It also has a “remote player” capability allowing you to run workouts from your phone while viewing stats on other screens.

justinrchan
01-13-2020, 05:53 PM
I just tried the free version of RoadGrandTour and it’s okay. Not super crowded so I like that fact. I mainly use a TrainerRoad and watch something on Netflix or a Prime.

mcfarton
01-13-2020, 05:56 PM
I have now started using xertonline. It does two really cool things: 1 - it takes your event power data from rides and computes an FTP for you (so no tests ever again unless you enjoy them!). It also provides very clever workouts which will get you to a given objective (say a race in three months time) based on where you suggest you want to end up. It also has “smart” workouts that actually adjust duration based on the power you are putting out. Did I mention it computes your FTP? Love it. It also has a “remote player” capability allowing you to run workouts from your phone while viewing stats on other screens.

I have been using them for 2-3 years. It works great if you only cycle. I started running and it has my training load all messed up. But it keeps good track of your ftp. If you have a garmin cycling computer they have some neat data fields.

Zmony
01-14-2020, 10:26 AM
You and me both, bud. Exactly how I feel.

I go with TrainerRoad while watching some good Netflix shows.

+1

Tried most online training platforms and have gotten most fitness gains from TrainerRoad. You are on your own for entertainment, but aside from that weakness it's solid.

laupsi
01-14-2020, 06:24 PM
Does it have to be one or the other? I use TR for interval work and compliment w/FulGaz. Combo keeps me mentally fresh and keeps me quite fit over the winter months

fiamme red
04-01-2020, 11:04 PM
+1 for FulGaz!!Review: https://cyclingtips.com/2020/04/fulgaz-indoor-training-app-review-2020/.

Clean39T
04-01-2020, 11:21 PM
I mainly use TrainerRoad and watch something on Netflix or a Prime.

Same. But YouTube. Or reading policy papers for work while listening to SigurRos.

robt57
04-01-2020, 11:28 PM
Surprised not one mention of https://ergvideo.com/ in this thread.
What I use with Computrainers, a pair still in service. Lots of service of late.

But listen to music de jour. But ErgVideo only does erg mode and plenty psychically challenging...

perdido2000
04-02-2020, 04:27 AM
Same. But YouTube. Or reading policy papers for work while listening to SigurRos.When doing TR workouts I can't really focus on anything so I watch CX races on YouTube. GCN channel has a bunch of them. They last roughly 1h and I can relate to those guys when doing VO2 Max intervals.

During the lockdown, when not doing a planned workout I've been using the Tacx App for easier spins and racking up the km.
Also RGT is good for the occasional spin as is free with a basic account. You do need 2 devices, a smartphone and a laptop or tablet.

Enviado desde mi SM-A405FN mediante Tapatalk