PDA

View Full Version : Cable stops inserts for internal cables?

tuscanyswe
10-13-2019, 05:15 AM
So what is the most neat looking solution for this on a titanium frame.

Im ordering a titanium frame for mechanical gears. How best to hide them inside the frame? Or perhaps there is no real neat solution and better to go with regular cable stops?

Havent decided if i want for both front and rear shifting yet or if im doing only 1x drivetrain. I will start with a 1x11 drivetrain for my first set up tho. Perhaps i will never see the need for a double crank. There is one solution ive been suggested for double gearing in same insert into the frame. Just no sure what this would look like as there are no good pictures i can find of it.

The rear brake housing will be internal either way so would be neat to hide both brake and gear cable/cables on the non driveside.

Do you have any good suggestions for doing this neatly? I cant have internal gear all the way to the rear so they will exit again under downtube close to bb as the builder dident want to integrated into chainstays

Thx

rwsaunders
10-13-2019, 06:42 AM
I bet that Firefly has built such a frame...don’t click on their gallery page because you just might buy one...or two!

tuscanyswe
10-13-2019, 10:13 AM
I would think so but unfortunately most ffs are picured just once from the driveside so havent been able to see any pictures of similar solutions if there are any.

simonov
10-13-2019, 05:47 PM
I would think so but unfortunately most ffs are picured just once from the driveside so havent been able to see any pictures of similar solutions if there are any.

Go to their flickr page. Dozens of photos of every frame or bike they build.

sales guy
10-13-2019, 08:30 PM
I've done both of these for customer builds. I really like the one with the interchangeable/replaceable places. Allows the use of any set up- Di2/EPS, eTap Mechanical, 1x, 2x. Everything.

Mikej
10-13-2019, 08:41 PM
I’d run full housing. Pretty sure this just came up but it was a di2 frame and the cables were run. 9100 FD has a stop built in. Then you could also run di2.

tuscanyswe
10-14-2019, 10:27 AM
How silly of me forgetting about their flickr page.. I will have a look.
I do like the firefly image with a regular braze on for gears and then the hole for the rear brake. Looks clean.

tuscanyswe
10-15-2019, 07:13 AM
I've done both of these for customer builds. I really like the one with the interchangeable/replaceable places. Allows the use of any set up- Di2/EPS, eTap Mechanical, 1x, 2x. Everything.

Those Looks Nice!

Can u Change out the insert plates to fit say 2 gear housings + 1 brake housings? Or even 1 gear + 1 haudralic brake housings?

I imagine these are for full length housing so no stop, correct?

Thx

sales guy
10-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Those Looks Nice!

Can u Change out the insert plates to fit say 2 gear housings + 1 brake housings? Or even 1 gear + 1 haudralic brake housings?

I imagine these are for full length housing so no stop, correct?

Thx

You can switch out the plates for whatever you want. And the plates have stops or no stops. There are like 8 different plates. They are pretty cool to play with.
The frame pictured was as follows
Rotor Uno hydro kit-
1 side was a Di2 grommet for the front derailleur hose
the other was a Di2 grommet for the rear derailleur hose and an open hole for the rear brake housing

All those hoses we're hydro

I did a mechanical one with stops but I think they work best with full runs. Oh, and these were on a titanium frame.

tuscanyswe
10-15-2019, 10:59 AM
Thanks for info!

Yeah i see now that its what looks like the first E of an ti enigma on the red one. Nice!

I think this is the option i will go with cheers

mulp
10-15-2019, 01:33 PM
Do you guys feel a difference running full housing to shifters? Every bike shop I've talked to have told me they highly discourage that due to the added friction for mechanical groupsets, obviously not an issue with di2. I just cant imagine the friction being that big of an issue.

jtbadge
10-15-2019, 01:42 PM
Do you guys feel a difference running full housing to shifters? Every bike shop I've talked to have told me they highly discourage that due to the added friction for mechanical groupsets, obviously not an issue with di2. I just cant imagine the friction being that big of an issue.

Total non-issue. I've had a few instances of the same mechanical groupset (Ultegra 6800) installed on multiple frames, using both a "traditional" housing/stops setup and a full housing run, and it shifts great either way.

If you're running cables through your frame, use full housing 100% of the time. Fishing bare inner cables through is a nightmare.

sales guy
10-16-2019, 08:31 PM
Tusc,

Here are the pics I told you about. I'll let you know what I find out about who makes them.

tuscanyswe
10-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Many thanks!

Dino Suegiù
10-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Those add-on things are going to look pretty inelegant especially on a titanium frame, imo.

A more elegant approach on ti would be "jet vents" and run the housing full length, as advised above. That solution is much cleaner (looking and actually), quieter, and easier to maintain.