PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex Corsa Experiences

pjmsj21
10-12-2019, 06:04 PM
Merlin has a sale on these now and I am looking for some clinchers for winter riding. I love my Arenberg's but would like to have a clincher alternative realizing that I won't get the same experience but still looking for a good riding tire with reasonable flat protection. Thoughts?

Veloo
10-12-2019, 06:12 PM
I have them in 23 and the Masters in 25.
Ride the Masters more but they are the same. Never flatted on them and I have taken them through some unpaved areas.

I see the stock at Merlin are thin tires though. Dunno if I'd wanna ride 20mm.

thegunner
10-12-2019, 06:13 PM
i used to commute on them, but then i got sick of changing a flat every other week.

feel nice though when they're inflated ;)

Spaghetti Legs
10-12-2019, 06:28 PM
I love Veloflex Master/Corsa tires and I have never had a problem with excessive flats with these but I wouldn’t pick them specifically as a winter/trainer tire.

Dino Suegiù
10-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Like Veloo, I have used Corsas and Masters in 23/25 for many years.
They are really excellent, my favorite clinchers by far.

But for winter riding, especially in 20mm? :no:

pjmsj21
10-12-2019, 07:33 PM
Like Veloo, I have used Corsas and Masters in 23/25 for many years.
They are really excellent, my favorite clinchers by far.

But for winter riding, especially in 20mm? :no:

Good catch on the size and yes I agree to narrow for my needs.

Other winter training tire recommendations that have nice riding characteristics are appreciated....size 25-28 is what I am looking for.

Big Dan
10-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Panaracer Gravel Kings 28's are pretty nice for that.

bironi
10-12-2019, 09:53 PM
These are quite durable and nice riding in 28s.

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-tyres/schwalbe-pro-one-folding-tyre-twin-pack/11322998.html

simonov
10-13-2019, 04:06 AM
[/B]

Good catch on the size and yes I agree to narrow for my needs.

Other winter training tire recommendations that have nice riding characteristics are appreciated....size 25-28 is what I am looking for.

Corsas are available in 25 or 28, though they'll both be undersized. They're not the most durable tires, but they're not terrible and the ride is very nice. Panaracer makes a bunch of nice riding tires with decent durability in 25-28.

jamesdak
10-13-2019, 09:28 AM
I run several sets of Veloflex tires myself. Mainly using them on the C&V bikes that won't fit a 700 x 25c Conti GP 4000s II. The same size Veloflex is smaller on any given rim so helps with clearance issues. I find the ride very good as well as the grip. I don't flat much regardless and have only flattened on of these when I rode over a self tapping sheet metal screw that even ate into the rim. Used a little tire goo to seal the hole in the tire and am still using it.

All that said, I do run Gatorskins on my winter bikes. I don't trust the good tires to handle all the crap we get on the winter roads.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169431346.jpg

Duende
10-13-2019, 10:52 AM
Merlin has a sale on these now and I am looking for some clinchers for winter riding. I love my Arenberg's but would like to have a clincher alternative realizing that I won't get the same experience but still looking for a good riding tire with reasonable flat protection. Thoughts?

As others have said.. the Corsas are an amazing tire. But definitely not in the winter riding durability camp.

I used them all year long, but I’m in the bay and the weather here is rather mild compared to most places.

randomduck
10-15-2019, 11:37 AM
I've run the Veloflex Corsa, and they're fine, though not too flat resistant compared to, say, a Continental GP4000S2 or GP5000. The road feel is quite lovely with the Corsa, but I eventually went back to the Contis after having too many flats. Also, tire life was shorter than the Contis in terms of tread wear.

Note that the surfaces I ride on are mostly urban and suburban around the greater Washington DC area, with some more rural paved and graded surfaces mixed in. I ran the 25mm version of the tire.

dgauthier
10-15-2019, 12:43 PM
I ride Veloflex Corsa 23’s, and they are definitely “summer tires.” They are a little too slippery in wet weather.

jemdet
10-15-2019, 01:31 PM
They're great. I've used them for everything from commuting to longer road rides. The ride quality is excellent.

Not so great in wet weather, as others have noted.

2000m2
04-24-2021, 03:48 PM
I recently test rode a few bikes with Veloflex tires on them and loved the feel (lots of other variables, of course).

I've been riding Vittoria Corsa G+ 4C's on one bike, but was getting a lot of flats. I had some Michelin Lithion 2 Reinforced tires around and switched to those as they've been very durable, yet sacrifice ride quality.

Curious about folks experiences with Veloflex tires and flats? From reading above, maybe the 28's are the way to go to get great ride quality and some better puncture resistance? Riding in the wet isn't a concern around where I live.

glepore
04-24-2021, 05:05 PM
Good tires. Durable as a Vit Corsa, maybe a bit more round and supple. But none of these supper supple high end tires have the same mission statement as a gp gatorskin, so I don't even get why that's being discussed. I really like cheap Costco Sauv Blanc, but its no Cloudy Bay.

ojingoh
04-24-2021, 06:46 PM

Curious about folks experiences with Veloflex tires and flats? From reading above, maybe the 28's are the way to go to get great ride quality and some better puncture resistance? Riding in the wet isn't a concern around where I live.

25s were sublime. First clincher that felt genuinely supple like a tubular using a butyl tube. It feels like a race tire, best clincher I’ve ever ridden. They didn’t expand a lot. Quantitatively faster than anything else I ride. Normal tire is a 25mm (27 really) Michelin Pro 4 endurance.

I caught my first flat about 3 weeks after ownership, then three more within 2 weeks. Basically no center rubber left, I could peel it it off with my thumbnail. Overall less than 500 miles on the rear wheel.

Summer, 25 mile exercise route, smooth pavement, 215 pound rider.

2000m2
04-24-2021, 07:01 PM
I caught my first flat about 3 weeks after ownership, then three more within 2 weeks. Basically no center rubber left, I could peel it it off with my thumbnail. Overall less than 500 miles on the rear wheel.

Wow, that’s pretty rough

herb5998
04-24-2021, 07:56 PM
Running the new Corsa Evos in 28, really good, fast, smooth, and even did 30 miles on the mixed surfaces today and they held up, no punctures and very smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

berserk87
04-25-2021, 09:53 AM
Both the Corsa and Master Veloflex tires are the nicest riding tires I've ever owned. Plush as can be. I got mine at deep discount, so I didn't feel as bad when I found out they wore like cheese. A few flats, but a lot of cuts and chunks taken out of the rubber that became worrisome. I'd buy them again if they were cheap enough. The pickle is the great ride feel versus the lack of durability.

54ny77
04-25-2021, 10:06 AM
"Wore like cheese."

A more apt description of these tires cannot be made!

(And yes, I like 'em. But only for the looks. :cool:)

Both the Corsa and Master Veloflex tires are the nicest riding tires I've ever owned. Plush as can be. I got mine at deep discount, so I didn't feel as bad when I found out they wore like cheese. A few flats, but a lot of cuts and chunks taken out of the rubber that became worrisome. I'd buy them again if they were cheap enough. The pickle is the great ride feel versus the lack of durability.

2000m2
04-26-2021, 12:41 PM

Not sounding like the Veloflex's are a whole lot better than the Vittoria's on the puncture front. Bummer.

fredd
04-26-2021, 01:31 PM
Anybody with longer term experience on the newer models? Specifically curious about the Corsa Evo TLR, which is supposed to be their more durable training tire.

jtbadge
04-26-2021, 01:47 PM
Not sounding like the Veloflex's are a whole lot better than the Vittoria's on the puncture front. Bummer.

IME Vittoria Corsa G are in a completely different realm of durability than Veloflex, both in resistance to puncture and mileage vs tread wear. Veloflex clinchers might as well be made of paper.

lavi
04-26-2021, 03:08 PM
I thought this was about Veloflex tires.

However, I have had nothing but good experiences with Vitt Corsa G's. They wear well and seem fine at puncture resistance.

I'm not interested in supple tires that are no good at being a bit robust relating to wear.

Spaghetti Legs
04-26-2021, 04:59 PM
More than half my bikes have Veloflex Corsa or Masters for the past several years. I can only recall one flat and that was a cut and exploded tire when I didn’t realize my pump gauge was jacked and massively overinflated the tire. I love ‘em.

I will take extra tubes on my next ride; I’m sure I just jinxed myself.

rustychisel
04-26-2021, 06:26 PM
More than half my bikes have Veloflex Corsa or Masters for the past several years. I can only recall one flat and that was a cut and exploded tire when I didn’t realize my pump gauge was jacked and massively overinflated the tire. I love ‘em.

I will take extra tubes on my next ride; I’m sure I just jinxed myself.

All of my road bikes have Masters or Corsa tyres. they're basically race tyres. .. run them hard, as they are designed to do... there is a sweet spot in terms of pressure... so try decreased pressure at your peril... I ride mine on road, hardpack and gravel, depending solely on where I am... no more issues with punctures than any other tyre...

Wakatel_Luum
04-26-2021, 10:20 PM
I use Veloflex clinchers with Silca latex tubes, the feel is just sublime. I rarely get punctures possibly, even prior to using Veloflex. Combination of tire pressure, road conditions etc.

picstloup
04-27-2021, 03:24 AM
All of my road bikes have Masters or Corsa tyres. they're basically race tyres. .. run them hard, as they are designed to do... there is a sweet spot in terms of pressure... so try decreased pressure at your peril... I ride mine on road, hardpack and gravel, depending solely on where I am... no more issues with punctures than any other tyre...

quick question please...what is the 'sweet spot' for pressure...

what do you use? tire width, pressure combination, please?

I have two pairs in waiting. One 28mm and the other 25mm.

My 28mm is the Corsa with a tread that looks like the old Vittoria clinchers from twenty years ago.

Also recently bought Corsa Evo with a very weird new tread in 25mm. It is kind of a stippled surface. Not sure that's the right word for it.

thanks for info

some additional info : the veloflex 28mm size says 5-8 bars. the 25mm says 6-9...

on some current tires I use, both 25mm, conti gp 5000 and 4 season models i generally use 7 bars on the rear tire and 6.5 on the front...

rustychisel
04-27-2021, 04:33 AM
I think with 6.5 and 7 bars you are in the right area. It depends upon rider weight and the way the ride, and where, but all tyres are designed to perform within a given range of variables, and race tyres on a race bike seem to have a narrow range of efficient return.

My concern is when people try to 'push' that envelope in a way that was not intended; softer for 'more comfort' for example. I find an underinflated tyre feels like a wallowing pig and does not perform predictably.

That said, 9bar for a Veloflex 25c is pretty high pressure IMHO. At the moment I'm running a fixed gear with 25 back and 23 front, at 6 and 7 bar respectively. Rider weight 86kg.

picstloup
04-27-2021, 06:50 AM
I think with 6.5 and 7 bars you are in the right area. It depends upon rider weight and the way the ride, and where, but all tyres are designed to perform within a given range of variables, and race tyres on a race bike seem to have a narrow range of efficient return.

My concern is when people try to 'push' that envelope in a way that was not intended; softer for 'more comfort' for example. I find an underinflated tyre feels like a wallowing pig and does not perform predictably.

That said, 9bar for a Veloflex 25c is pretty high pressure IMHO. At the moment I'm running a fixed gear with 25 back and 23 front, at 6 and 7 bar respectively. Rider weight 86kg.

thanks rc for these details...and i never run pressure to max possible, despite my weight floating around 100kilos these days...about 15 k overweight...

i realize the continental tires aren't built like the veloflex so I'll have to play slightly up, maybe on the rear tire, i think more so on the 25mm...but i'll try first at what i've been using...

my riding is leisurely, fairly good to great weather, as it doesn't rain a lot down here and i try to avoid the wet weather...seems these days the only place i pick up good speed is down the gently curving descents...

even there, i scrub speed so i don't take chances...i'm not being paid for this :) but i do like a good thrill...

rustychisel
04-27-2021, 08:31 AM
thanks rc for these details...and i never run pressure to max possible, despite my weight floating around 100kilos these days...about 15 k overweight...

i realize the continental tires aren't built like the veloflex so I'll have to play slightly up, maybe on the rear tire, i think more so on the 25mm...but i'll try first at what i've been using...

my riding is leisurely, fairly good to great weather, as it doesn't rain a lot down here and i try to avoid the wet weather...seems these days the only place i pick up good speed is down the gently curving descents...

even there, i scrub speed so i don't take chances...i'm not being paid for this :) but i do like a good thrill...

I hear you... and you do live in a very nice part of the world. :hello:

2000m2
05-05-2021, 11:28 AM
I decided to give the clincher Corsa Evo 28s a try. I can change out a tube if needed, so we'll see how it goes. Based on some other recent threads here about tubulars though, I am tempted to go that route in the future with a little sealant.