PDA

View Full Version : Run-Flat tires (for cars)...love 'em or hate 'em?

VTCaraco
10-12-2019, 03:37 PM
Curious...
My specific interest is for a set of winters for my e46, but I'm curious to hear what folks think of them.

jamesau
10-12-2019, 04:30 PM
Hate. They're expensive, ride harshly, and not as easy to come by when far from home during your long-planned vacation.

Your E46 carries a full-size factory spare on matching rim (mine did).
My RWD E46 with dedicated snows was more sure-footed than any AWD with all-seasons. I took my chances and did not equip my spare with snow-rubber.

Ken Robb
10-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Some versions of e-46 don't have room for a regular spare. My 2004 ZHP model did not. I still ran regular sets of staggered-size tires for over 100,000 miles without a flat. I replaced run-flats on my MINI Cooper S with regular tires and never had a flat in 60,000 miles. I onlyhave 5,000 miles on my 2019 Civic Si with high-performance summer tires and so far-so good.

I think the latest run-flats are much better in ride/handling compared to the earliest versions but they still don't match regular tires.

I was surprised to see the tires on my Si that was built in Toronto came with Goodyear F1 Max Performance tires made in Germany. International trade for sure. :)

VTCaraco
10-12-2019, 05:04 PM
The run flats are about 40% less than the comparable "normal" tire...warehouse clearance that I can tap into through a friend that runs a nearby shop.

And I think it's relevant to consider that these would be dedicated snow tires, so in the season that I wouldn't push the car (though I drive more and more like an old man each week).

witcombusa
10-12-2019, 06:16 PM
Hate. Ditch the run flats and get real tires.

Our e46 330ci with four Bridgestone Blizzaks was about a 7 out of 10 for heavy snow use, particularly uphill. 'Traction Control' is not a good substitute for a proper limited slip rear diff. Our previous e36 w/limited slip put the e46 to shame. The e46 would lurch and steam it's way slowly up our hill in 3-6 inches of snow, sometimes not getting to the top at all. The e36 would just drive right up under similar conditions. Sadly now BMW only has LSD on the M cars.

Myself, I'll take AWD and 4 dedicated premium winter tires. I can stop on the hill and start right back up at will.

VTCaraco
10-12-2019, 06:30 PM
My e46 is an XI.

I've run Hakkas for the last 4 years and the vehicle is terrific in snow. With the balance and such, we like it better than our Subaru with studded Hakkas (though that does feel like it could climb a wall, we both pick the e46 for driving regardless of road conditions).

Per the current Hakas, not much tread left and they've developed a good bit of road noise.
Hence the shopping...

Matthew
10-12-2019, 06:36 PM
They suck. Harsh riding.

gbcoupe
10-12-2019, 07:08 PM
At 40% less than regular sidewalls, I'd do that for winters.
They're better than when they 1st came out, but I'm still not a fan.
Replaced them on my 2002 Mini Cooper S just after purchase. They sucked.
Weren't so bad on my wife's 2013 BMW X1, but we replaced them with regular sidewalls when they wore out.
Please note, many shops will not repair a runflat, no matter where the damage is. logistics for repair are no different re sidewalls... that's just their policy.

Ken Robb
10-12-2019, 07:32 PM
At 40% less than regular sidewalls, I'd do that for winters.
They're better than when they 1st came out, but I'm still not a fan.
Replaced them on my 2002 Mini Cooper S just after purchase. They sucked.
Weren't so bad on my wife's 2013 BMW X1, but we replaced them with regular sidewalls when they wore out.
Please note, many shops will not repair a runflat, no matter where the damage is. logistics for repair are no different re sidewalls... that's just their policy.
My guess is the shop can't tell how far or how fast a run-flat has been driven after a puncture so they fear the tire might be fatally flawed and they don't want to be blamed for a subsequent failure.

gbcoupe
10-12-2019, 07:52 PM
I have no doubt it's for liability reasons, but if the puncture is well inside the sidewall, there's no difference.

p nut
10-12-2019, 08:17 PM
Do not like them. Had them as OEM part on our van. Very subpar mileage we got out of them. We got Michelin Defenders (non-run flat) and are enjoying a more plush ride, better MPG and life. Also got AAA membership.

tv_vt
10-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Have them on my 328 (F31 wagon) and they seem fine to me. Only car I've had with them and no issues. Have them for summer and winter tires on two sets of wheels.

Pinned
10-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Run flats will ride poorly by nature - I remove them immediately.

If you're worried about cost, the General Altimax Arctic is a phenomenal dedicated snow tire that's pretty inexpensive. They're softer than the performance winters out there (Bridgestone or Nokian Hakkapelitas), but my experience in New England was that nothing came close for value and traction. General also has some very good performance all season and summer tires right now - I'm using the G-Max AS and am very impressed. Made by Continental, so you know they're well engineered.

everbeek
10-13-2019, 04:25 PM
Have them on my 328 (F31 wagon) and they seem fine to me. Only car I've had with them and no issues. Have them for summer and winter tires on two sets of wheels.

F31 wagon as well. Been driving semi-sporty cars for 40 years and I didn't mind the OEM run flats at all. I do have have standard tires (UHP all season) on now and risking being stuck with a flat and don't notice a big difference.
-Mike

kohagen
10-13-2019, 05:10 PM
I have an F15 (the BMW, not the plane). The Pirelli Scorpion Winter tire at Tire Rack is $159 for the 255/55R18. The Pirelli Scorpion Winter Run Flat is $215, or 35% more expensive. Plus, they ride harsher and are heavier.

I take the run-flats off my cars and substitute non-run flats. Their ride is much less harsh, and I can get the type of tire I want. for peace of mind, I carry a Conti Inflation Kit, which is a 12 volt compressor and a can of sealant.

Mr. Pink
10-13-2019, 05:45 PM
First thing I did when I bought a fresh used Mini S was replace the run flats with Blizzaks, since it was December. The Blizzaks, snow tires, were superior to those awful run flats. Went with Yokohama Avid Envigors for summer tires. Those were awesome.
Made sure my AAA was always up to date and got one of those goo flat fix kits, since the Mini had no spare. Never needed both.

lhuerta
10-13-2019, 09:40 PM
...per everyone above, they are horrible...I'll b replacing original run flats on my f30 in about a month.

Run flats for cars are the equivalent of Continental Gatorskins for bikes...the worst riding tires you can mount on your rides...

Search forums on bimmerpost and bimmerfest for VOLUMES of threads agreeing with the strong sentiment against run flats, already expressed above...

...with go flats, simply carry a scissor jack, small compressor and plug kit, and if u have the trunk room, a space saver spare.