PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the new Silca seat pack/roll?

54ny77
10-12-2019, 10:53 AM
How do you like it?

Do you think it'll hold (or will it actually hold) 2 lightweight tubes & 2 Co2 cartridges?

pdmtong
10-12-2019, 11:41 AM
what do you mean by new? the seat roll premio has been out for a few years.

if that is the one you mean ($48) IMHO it will NOT hold two tubes. The probelem is if you put too much into each third of the roll, you cannot close it. In fact all the stuff below took some trial and error to find the locations that work best for closure.

Mine has
- tube (michelin aircomp 700x25)
- (2) levers
- (2) CO2 16g
- CO2 head
- patches/small tube of glue
- glueless patches
- surgical gloves

54ny77
10-12-2019, 11:50 AM
too funny. the silca webpage made it seem like it was new: "this changes everything" says the intro page to the seat roll. i just assumed it was new....:p

what do you mean by new? the seat roll premio has been out for a few years.

if that is the one you mean ($48) IMHO it will NOT hold two tubes. The probelem is if you put too much into each third of the roll, you cannot close it. In fact all the stuff below took some trial and error to find the locations that work best for closure.

Mine has
- (2) levers
- (2) CO2 16g
- CO2 head
- glueless patches
- surgical gloves

OtayBW
10-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Try an Arundel Tubi....:hello:

pjbaz
10-12-2019, 03:01 PM
I have the Silca EOLO wallet and it holds enough for me. I put it in the center pocket of my jersey instead of using a roll on the bike.

Tube (usually wrapped in an old sock)
Silca multi-tool
2 Pedros levers
2 16g CO2 and a small inflater head
$10 bill
Park patch kit (the little square ones)
Car key and fob if I drove to the ride.

cgolvin
10-12-2019, 03:07 PM
IMHO it will NOT hold two tubes. The problem is if you put too much into each third of the roll, you cannot close it. In fact all the stuff below took some trial and error to find the locations that work best for closure.

Mine has
- (2) levers
- (2) CO2 16g
- CO2 head
- glueless patches
- surgical gloves

Yep. Mine is similarly stuffed except I have a multitool instead of a second CO2 (I generally default to a pump).

My one complaint about the bag's design, as I've told Josh, is that the elastic strap that goes around one end loses its stretch pretty quickly so is kind of useless. Fortunately, it isn't essential.

jadedaid
10-12-2019, 03:24 PM
I have one and I am not a fan. It doesn’t hold much and on really bumpy stuff tends to come undone - I’ve had it spill its contents more than once...

At a stretch I can get in one tube, one co2, oneco2 regulator, tire levers and my multitool. I’ve moved to thinner/lighter/more expensive tubes to give me some more breathing space as once you fill it, closing it satisfactorily is often a challenge.

Clancy
10-12-2019, 03:25 PM
I have the Silca and like it ok. I find the Speedsleev seat bags to hold more and attach quicker and easier but still hold securely. The only thing I didn’t like about the Arudel is how it attaches, had one pop off jumping a speed bump. The Speedsleev’s are my favorite, come in 3 sizes.

I feel like the Silca is maybe over engineered, the BOA is cool but excessive to me for a seatbag

clarendon
10-13-2019, 01:42 PM
I like mine but it doesn't hold 2 regular butyl tubes along with levers, co2 and multitool. I have been putting either 1 butyl tube or 2 tubolito tubes in there. Tubolitos are expensive but aside from the weight benefit are much more compact and do seem to be more resilient to punctures.

572cv
10-13-2019, 01:54 PM
I like it. The boa provides a secure mounting that doesn’t rattle or come loose. One tube, a multi tool, two levers, a weeny Swiss Army knife, emergency patch. Enough space for me. Every seat bag is a compromise, always will be. .... that’s why there’s always room for improvement ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jpritchet74
10-13-2019, 02:12 PM
I have the Silca EOLO wallet and it holds enough for me. I put it in the center pocket of my jersey instead of using a roll on the bike.

Tube (usually wrapped in an old sock)
Silca multi-tool
2 Pedros levers
2 16g CO2 and a small inflater head
$10 bill
Park patch kit (the little square ones)
Car key and fob if I drove to the ride.

This is exactly how I roll as well. Love it.

pjbaz
10-14-2019, 10:03 AM
This is exactly how I roll as well. Love it.

Seeing your signature, should I mention I also have a Duende? lol

jpritchet74
10-14-2019, 10:50 AM
Seeing your signature, should I mention I also have a Duende? lol

You, my friend, have excellent taste!

EB
10-14-2019, 11:12 AM
I have one of these. I renamed it the Silca Tool Ejector Button.

chiasticon
10-14-2019, 12:51 PM
I have one and I am not a fan. It doesn’t hold much and on really bumpy stuff tends to come undone - I’ve had it spill its contents more than once...

At a stretch I can get in one tube, one co2, oneco2 regulator, tire levers and my multitool. I’ve moved to thinner/lighter/more expensive tubes to give me some more breathing space as once you fill it, closing it satisfactorily is often a challenge.agree with these points. had a friend ditch it after it spilling all of its contents a few times, once for good. I've had OK luck with it, but I only put a tube, patches and a small multi-tool in it. even then it's kind of big for what's inside.

I like the Arundel Uno, but it loses velcro "stickiness" too quickly (especially if you move it from bike to bike regularly). a simpler canvas tool roll is what I use now, similar to the ones from Roadrunner and others.

everbeek
10-14-2019, 02:10 PM
I'm happy with mine coming off of years worth of Jandd Mini Mountain Wedge(s). The Jandd was easier to pack. I get a cartridge, spare tube, two plastic irons, PB Swiss multitool, and inflator head into the Silca with careful wrapping, but that is the limit. Turn the Boa dial down tight and I have not had any problems with anything coming loose. It fits up tighter under the saddle than the Jandd.

pdmtong
10-14-2019, 02:42 PM

At a stretch I can get in one tube, one co2, oneco2 regulator, tire levers and my multitool. I’ve moved to thinner/lighter/more expensive tubes to give me some more breathing space as once you fill it, closing it satisfactorily is often a challenge.
I bought the silca specifically for the BOA. you can crank on it so the roll is tight and smashed up under your seat. I asked the BOA people how much can you crank it and they replied as hard as you want. it's metal teeth and the BOA won't break under the load. I cannot imagine it coming undone.

OTOH if you had it packed so much it wasn't tri-fold closing then perhaps thats the answer. it's an absolute PITA tryig to figure out the right placement of the stuff inside.

jtakeda
10-14-2019, 02:59 PM
I had one and I didnt particularly like it but Ill be the first to admit I'm a chronic OVERpacker.

2 tubes, 2 tire levers C02 and regulator and multi tool and some patches.
Ive also been known to stick my phone in there.....
I now use an outershell roll top saddle bag--I can roll it as big or small as i need and its super secure whether topped up or lightly packed.

zennmotion
10-14-2019, 03:43 PM
If you want a roll, I'll do a pitch for Velocolour's roll- I have an older model that's cranked tight to the seat with a toe clip strap. Looks like they've changed the strap but I'd still use the toe clip strap. I (over)pack with 2 tubes, flat-profile multitool, tire lever (wrapped with duct tape for a tire boot, never used it) $20bill, and an energy bar for emergency bonk. I use a frame pump so no need for CO2- it's fat and tight but it all fits.
https://www.velocolour.com/shop/dynamiteroll

Edit: they made it smaller. So, for me that's not as good as what they had

teleguy57
10-14-2019, 08:56 PM
Try an Arundel Tubi....:hello:

My go to. Very secure on the saddle, nice narrrow profile.

oh, and of course, put your spare tubular in it, as intended :beer: