PDA

View Full Version : OT: Summer Tires (cars)

Ozz
10-10-2019, 02:05 PM
For those of you who run summer performance tires on your cars, when do you change them out to winter or all-season tires?

My understanding is that temperature is the primary consideration here...correct?

(looking to buy a new car...one I found has summer tires...trying to figure out how critical to change right away)

Thanks.

Also...have any of you purchased refinished OEM wheels online? Any favorite reliable sellers?

AngryScientist
10-10-2019, 02:07 PM
temperature yes.

when temps are consistently below 40 off with the summer tires.

if you drive well below the tires limits, it's not a big deal unless there is ice or snow on the ground though.

batman1425
10-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Depends on the tires. The warranty on my Conti is void if they are even on the car when temps go below 30. The compound gets so hard at low temps it can crack even with just the weight of the car. They are also scarry unpredictable below about 45deg, even in the dry, but especially so if there is any moisture on the ground.

I keep an eye on the temps and swap when the mornings are dipping into the 40's regularly. I guesstimate that I have about 2 or 3 more weeks before I'll have to swap them out for my winters.

C40_guy
10-10-2019, 02:42 PM
I run "all season" Conti DWS as summer tires and Nokian R2/R3 as winters. Typically change just before Thanksgiving (in New England).

I've picked up used wheels on ebay and CL. I'd prefer used over refinished...when most people say refinished, what they mean is "rattle-can painted."

You can find flawless used wheels very cheaply priced on CL, especially if you go down one size...For instance, I run 18" summers on my allroad, and 17" winters, 19"/18" on the Q7 and the daughter's Q5...

Many people go plus 1 (upsizing) and dump their original wheels...

R3awak3n
10-10-2019, 02:45 PM
The temperature consensus is 45 degree. But I would not go switching as soon as we hit 45 (well i would already be on winters since we already got into the high 30s). I pretty much wait until we are consistently at 45 during the day and then put my winters on. Sure summer tires on low temps suck but they are not going to explode and/or all of a sudden give 0 grip on the road.

gasman
10-10-2019, 02:48 PM
I bought some used OEM wheels off Flea-Bay. Well packed, good condition with a tiny bit of surface rust on one wheel and a heck of a lot cheaper than new. I don’t remember the seller but they had a very good rep.
I had them powder coated so the tiny bit of rust wasn’t a big deal.

Ozz
10-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Thanks all....the vehicle I am looking at specs Run Flats (BMW) and there are no all season options in the 20" wheels....

Looking at getting another set of wheels in 19" and putting all seasons on them...

Other options is to not go with run flats....I think I have only had 1 flat in 40 yrs of driving.....I'll just keep my AAA paid up.

I know I am probably overthinking this....

deechee
10-10-2019, 03:15 PM
over in our lovely province, it's the law to have winters by Dec1. So that means massive lineups come October all the way through December. It's really annoying.

Lots of people dump/trade their steel wheelies on kijiji etc. And like others have said, lots of people upgrading and dumping their stock wheels which is great. As long as it fits, I couldn't care less.

cderalow
10-10-2019, 03:25 PM
Thanks all....the vehicle I am looking at specs Run Flats (BMW) and there are no all season options in the 20" wheels....

Looking at getting another set of wheels in 19" and putting all seasons on them...

Other options is to not go with run flats....I think I have only had 1 flat in 40 yrs of driving.....I'll just keep my AAA paid up.

I know I am probably overthinking this....

you may find that the run flats ride like absolute crap and you'd rather traditional tires anyway.

sitzmark
10-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Does depend on the tire(s). Many summer treads are bi-compounded with softer rubber over harder blocks under. Soft provides the grip and harder structure under provides cornering stability.

Had some Conti UHP CrossContacts on for 2nd season that I did not bother swapping off for winter. Soft compound wears fast - basically gone and it was a relatively mild New England winter. A couple of modest snow storms driving between MA and ME one or two weekends, but with attention to conditions no worse for the wear. (TIC)

Find out how many miles on tires and then check online reports for tread life to estimate what grip tread you might have left. Maybe time for new shoes anyway. If you don't have severe winters your call if you want to leave them on for a while.

Have sourced wheels from RTW in Houston a couple of times with good success. Always like new and dial out round. Have sourced from a couple of other refurb shops with no complaints either - just don't recall company names.

PS - can't carry a compact spare because won't fit over upgraded calipers on one vehicle. Ran run flats for a while - very heavy tires which affects unsprung and handling. Dumped RFs in favor of compressor/sealant and roadside assistance. Called for assistance 1x in 20 years.

AngryScientist
10-10-2019, 03:28 PM
my BMW came with run flats and i ditched them as soon as i could.

pjm
10-10-2019, 03:37 PM

Ditto

Ozz
10-10-2019, 03:47 PM

Do you have a spare? No room in the new cars for one...don't think they offer an compact spare.

kohagen
10-10-2019, 03:54 PM

+1. I got a Conti tire inflation kit, which consists of a 12V air compressor and a can of sealant. Never had to use it, but it does provide some peace of mind.

Ozz
10-10-2019, 03:57 PM
+1. I got a Conti tire inflation kit, which consists of a 12V air compressor and a can of sealant. Never had to use it, but it does provide some peace of mind.

good idea....thanks.

avalonracing
10-10-2019, 04:35 PM
I had performance-rated summer tires on my rear-wheel-drive Mercedes and the grip was crazy-good. I all but couldn't get the car loose. As soon as the temp dropped into the upper 30's it was like someone greased my treads. And if it snowed 1/2" I all but couldn't go up any hills. I got some winter tires on some inexpensive, but decent looking, alloys from Tire Rack and had great winter traction. It also prolonged the life of the summer tires which wear out quickly.

AngryScientist
10-10-2019, 04:57 PM
Do you have a spare? No room in the new cars for one...don't think they offer an compact spare.

yes, i purchased a full sized spare and keep it in the trunk. it takes up some space yes, but i prefer the confidence when i'm far away from home and civilization that a flat tire will not ruin a weekend trip.

picture this: you are about to leave for a trip saturday evening and you puncture your run flat 100 miles from home. that runflat is good for maybe 50 miles of slow speed driving. by the way no tire shops are open on sunday. double by the way, the only one you can find open is going to gouge your eyes out on the price of a replacement and expedited service.

or, you can just carry a spare :banana:

Ozz
10-10-2019, 05:02 PM
yes, i purchased a full sized spare and keep it in the trunk. it takes up some space yes, but i prefer the confidence when i'm far away from home and civilization that a flat tire will not ruin a weekend trip.

picture this: you are about to leave for a trip saturday evening and you puncture your run flat 100 miles from home. that runflat is good for maybe 50 miles of slow speed driving. by the way no tire shops are open on sunday. double by the way, the only one you can find open is going to gouge your eyes out on the price of a replacement and expedited service.

or, you can just carry a spare :banana:

you really are a buzz-kill...

(said with utmost respect and love.....;))

FriarQuade
10-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Just get a summer car and leave the tires on it year round. Remember, Miata is always the answer.

Some of the ultra high performance summer tires have a very hard temp threshold. If you're running more mundane summer in the 300 tread wear range they don't perform at low temps but you're not going to ruin them like you will the super sticky stuff.

Zee
10-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Summer tire performance tapers significantly near 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Air temp and road temps are not the same thing. You do not want to have to rely on a product in an emergency situation when you are knowingly operating outside of its intended operational range.

The easy thing jingle to remember for when to swap is turkey to tax. Your local climate may necessitate something different (snow on the ground in many locations now or within the next 48 hours).

jfranci3
10-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Tires - yes temp extremes are the main consideration. Traditionally, R-comp tires don't work below 50f (like 50% traction loss); dedicated performance tires below 30 (drop off not as bad). Winter tires will just make a lot more noise, not have the same hydroplaning performance, and wear quicker at warmer temps (you can knock a full year off their 6yr life over a summer).

Another consideration, I run winters on smaller rims 16 v 17". Winter tires have MUCH softer sidewalls. In the spring/fall - Run winter tires into May-ish until after pot holes are fixed, run summers during the rainy season.

I've got an inflater kit in my car, but its been there for YEARs. I should really just put a plug/patch kit and bike pump in my car.

cderalow
10-11-2019, 12:19 PM
I had performance-rated summer tires on my rear-wheel-drive Mercedes and the grip was crazy-good. I all but couldn't get the car loose. As soon as the temp dropped into the upper 30's it was like someone greased my treads. And if it snowed 1/2" I all but couldn't go up any hills. I got some winter tires on some inexpensive, but decent looking, alloys from Tire Rack and had great winter traction. It also prolonged the life of the summer tires which wear out quickly.

that's pretty much every BMW, Mercedes and Euro car owner in the DMV area every winter. hard part is 90% of them don't even realize their cars came with 'performance' tires and they wind up stuck along some road when we get a dusting.

nothing funnier than a MB or BMW SUV stuck spinning its tires in 1/2" while I can plod along in 8" in my minivan or car without any issue.

Ozz
10-11-2019, 01:19 PM

OK - Conti has discontinued their kit (according to Tire Rack), but there looks to be other options including a BMW OEM kit ($150) and something AirMan ResQ Pro+ ($60) that look pretty good....

I think one of these and regular (not run flats) are the way to go.

thanks all!

PacNW2Ford
10-11-2019, 01:30 PM
that's pretty much every BMW, Mercedes and Euro car owner in the DMV area every winter. hard part is 90% of them don't even realize their cars came with 'performance' tires and they wind up stuck along some road when we get a dusting.

nothing funnier than a MB or BMW SUV stuck spinning its tires in 1/2" while I can plod along in 8" in my minivan or car without any issue.

Unless they nose into the curb in front of you and can’t back up due to the road crown. It is pretty funny if you can get by them, less so if not.

Here in Portland I put on winter performance tires around Thanksgiving and take them off in mid-April as someone said “turkey to tax”.

C40_guy
10-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Tires - yes temp extremes are the main consideration. Traditionally, R-comp tires don't work below 50f (like 50% traction loss)

You're not even supposed to store R-compound tires where they'll go below 40 degrees...

A real PITA, but so good when you've got the setup right! :)

C40_guy
10-11-2019, 04:58 PM

I've done this for many years too...but as spare tires (and spare tire wells) get smaller...and tires themselves get bigger...

For a while, my matching summer tire (+1 in size) for the A4 would only fit in the spare tire well if I deflated it. You'd think that would defeat the purpose of a spare, but I autocross, and carry an electric air pump in my tool kit... :)

It's also helpful to have that fifth matching tire in the tire rotation, all the tires last longer.

We picked up an (unfixable) screw in a winter tire last spring, and the tire, a Nokian R2, had been discontinued. Tire shop offered to sell me four new tires. Instead, I swapped over the summer tires and eventually found a matching replacement R2. Didn't have that fifth matching tire...19" SUV tire takes up a lot of space in the back of an SUV...

Ozz
10-17-2019, 11:01 AM
OK - pulled the trigger last weekend....dumped the uber-reliable 2003 Honda Pilot and jumped with both feet into the unknown of a 2017 BMW X5.

As of now, leaving summer tires on wheels shown. Dealer had another customer who was selling some unused 18" BMW wheels with all-seasons mounted for $1000 (Style 446 / Michelin Latitude Tour HP ZP)...dealer will store for me. Seemed like a deal.

I have a few things to work on...

Initially I need some crossbars so I can use my roof box (Thule Spirit - 90.5 x 14.2 x 32.7 inches). Does anyone know if the Thule AeroBlade Edge sit high enough so that the box clears the shark-fin antennae?

I also need to get a trailer hitch mounted....looking at StealthHitch...any opinions on this option?

So far, fun car....much different that the Honda.

Thanks.

JLQ
10-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Does anyone know if the Thule AeroBlade Edge sit high enough so that the box clears the shark-fin antennae?

I can confirm my Thule 7602 crossbars give you clearance, Clarence.

C40_guy
10-17-2019, 11:26 AM
I also need to get a trailer hitch mounted....looking at StealthHitch...any opinions on this option?

Thanks.

Congrats on the purchase. With regard to the hitch, what's the intended use? Trailer, bike rack, rear mounted barbie or toilet seat?

I generally like to stick to OEM, particularly for towing anything substantial.

Ozz
10-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Congrats on the purchase. With regard to the hitch, what's the intended use? Trailer, bike rack, rear mounted barbie or toilet seat?

I generally like to stick to OEM, particularly for towing anything substantial.

No towing....bike rack (Thule T2)....maybe someday a small teardrop type trailer, but probably more dreaming than actuality.

OEM runs about $2500 to install...Stealth or other will probably be $1000 to $1500.

Ozz
10-17-2019, 11:33 AM
I can confirm my Thule 7602 crossbars give you clearance, Clarence.

Great! I think the new model is the 7603....but will confirm.

JLQ
10-17-2019, 12:26 PM
Pretty sure the 7603 is identical in profile, just wider.