PDA

View Full Version : So, they sent me a letter now :D

ultraman6970
10-09-2019, 03:50 PM
Ok, everybody knows the scam about the email sent looking for a relative of that millionare guy that died and is related with you, right?

Well I just got a letter in todays mail, comming from the UK saying that my old uncle whatever left like 30 million pounds and im the next in kin after they traced my lineage :D

Looks like the stamps are real and the letter is really coming from the UK?... the question is how in the world they got my address and stuff.... the other thing, who trying to scam somebody would send a letter and with not even the seals of the bank in the head of the paper? Even the signature at the bottom was made with a BIC pen or something, looks like my kid signed too :D

At least they are spending like 2 pennies :D Idiots!

:)

Blue Jays
10-09-2019, 04:04 PM
Congratulations on your your remarkable good fortune.

unterhausen
10-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Many of the current scams used to be done by mail. I think we got a letter like that some time ago. I would say that doing this particular scam by mail probably is more effective, especially if you go to the expense of having some good looking letterhead printed up. But I have heard that they intentionally use bad English so they only deal with stupid people

Matthew
10-09-2019, 08:42 PM
I got a phone call last week that had a taped message stating I would be charged $299 because I didn't update some sort of computer protection service. I let the message play out and then called the number back. Surprisingly, an actual human answered. Of course, he had a foreign accent. He politely stated I would be charged the $299 if I didn't pay for some sort of protection. I told him I didn't even have a home computer and said this is a scam isn't it? He didn't say another word and hung up. POS. Wonder how many people have fallen for this?

zmalwo
10-09-2019, 08:45 PM
Send the same stuff out to a million people someone will get scammed. Even if 1% gets scammed for $100 each that's still a million dollars.

Louis
10-09-2019, 08:51 PM
A few weeks ago I started to get an avalanche of messages on my home phone that all start the same way "This is (insert name) with (insert company) calling on a recorded line...."

They're all quite similar (at least at the start - I've never bothered to listen to one in it's entirety) and several of them are the same woman's voice, even though she uses a different name and company in them. Just how stupid do they think I am?

I don't even bother to answer my phone, and wish I could turn the ringer off completely.

OtayBW
10-09-2019, 08:52 PM
How much did you send them? :D

arimajol
10-09-2019, 09:07 PM
I got a phone call last week that had a taped message stating I would be charged $299 because I didn't update some sort of computer protection service. I let the message play out and then called the number back. Surprisingly, an actual human answered. Of course, he had a foreign accent. He politely stated I would be charged the $299 if I didn't pay for some sort of protection. I told him I didn't even have a home computer and said this is a scam isn't it? He didn't say another word and hung up. POS. Wonder how many people have fallen for this?

Check out this podcast, where one of the hosts got the same call and then kept calling them back
https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/6nh3wk

doomridesout
10-09-2019, 11:21 PM
I once spoke with "Computer Protection" for over 10 minutes to confirm my computer had a virus. I wanted to make sure that my symptoms were the symptoms necessitating protection.

My computer turned all the icons into pictures of baby ducks. Then it kept asking for cigarettes to be put in the USB port. When it wanted beer poured on the keyboard and asked to be left alone with pictures of female computers on its screen, I drew a line.

To my surprise, the scammer (who I presumed was from south asia from her accent), played along. She asked me how I knew my computer was male. She told me her computer was a woman who smoked too much, who had a broken heart.

I even talked them into calling me back-- this time, a man called and was quite businesslike about trying to get me to install whatever hijacking malware they wanted to put on my computer. He hung up when I gave him the same routine.

Scammers can be very fun.

2LeftCleats
10-09-2019, 11:34 PM
To the OP: I think we might be brothers. I got the same letter about my uncle leaving me the same amount.

zmalwo
10-09-2019, 11:36 PM
One time I was bored out of my mind so I actually called the number listed on a scam site. I pretended I was an idiot who knew absolutely nothing about computers and agreed on all the payment they asked me to send. at the end when they asked for my address I told them I was living in 1234 india street, Bangladesh, Europe. They threatened to call the cops on me because I was giving false information to them and needless to say I begged for their mercy. They were so confused if I was really dumb or pranking them.

Drmojo
10-10-2019, 05:33 AM
I love spoofing these bandits.
If on the phone: I start with urgent
plea “ wait, before we get started- have
you accepted Jesus as your personal
savior?
That shuts them down
Right quick

oldpotatoe
10-10-2019, 06:28 AM
Along the same lines, I just got an email, looked legit, right logos and such, that said my Amazon acct had been suspended for 'suspicious activity'(how ironic,eh?)..please log in 'here'
to 'unlock' and gave a link..bogus, of course. :eek:

merlinmurph
10-10-2019, 07:31 AM
Have your ordered your new Firefly, yet?

redir
10-10-2019, 08:04 AM
No offense to older people but that sounds to me like a target for older people who might not even use email still to this day or do on a limited bases, don't trust it, and are more easily susceptible to scams using real mail.

If you have not heard about it the USPS Informed Delivery is a good service.

ultraman6970
10-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Lol :)

to the op: I think we might be brothers. I got the same letter about my uncle leaving me the same amount.