PDA

View Full Version : Italian Bottom Bracket

H.Frank Beshear
12-25-2006, 10:03 AM
I'll be installing my first italian threaded bb this week. Other than threading is there anything else I need to aware of? Is a little blue locktite on the non drive side a good idea or not? I'll be installing a chorus bb in the Corsa extra that's supposed to be here on Wed. :banana: Thanks Frank

rePhil
12-25-2006, 10:36 AM
On the two Marinoni's I had, I used grease and a good fitting wrench to get the drive side Tight. I never had one come loose. I am sure you will hear other opinions suggesting Loctite, which I am sure would be fine too.

Cary Ford
12-25-2006, 11:22 AM
A little white pipe tape (or whatever that stuff is called) helps keep things tight.

MRB
12-25-2006, 11:43 AM
With the older style "loose ball" (non cartridge style) bb, I have had the fixed cup loosen. I would recommend getting the fixed cup in very tight, so that it does not loosen on you.

HTH,

JA

Dredd
12-25-2006, 11:52 AM
What type of bottom bracket, and model are you installing?

chrisroph
12-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Use some grease and torque between 10 ft/lbs less that spec and spec and it won't come loose. If you get some binding as you approach torque spec, then you will need to back off on the torque and use some loctite. Read the instructions that come with the bb or off of the campy site and you won't go wrong, although some people (including me) use a bit less torque than spec'd by campy, without loctite.

dave thompson
12-25-2006, 01:49 PM
I don't use Campy but with my Dura Ace BBs I've found the use of good grease (Phil for me), several wraps of Teflon tape and proper torque keeps the BB tight and without creaks or other noises.

michael white
12-25-2006, 02:16 PM
ditto,

in the past I have had to use loctite or teflon tape, but usually can get away with grease now with cartridge bb's. NOTE: with Loctite sometimes the threads won't tighten as tight as with grease, and that leads to very annoying creaks.

merry christmas,

mikey

Too Tall
12-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Frank, a real live fixed cup install tool is the deal. Go to a shop. Install with just good ol' assembly grease. Big 10-4 in getting that tight.

Cary Ford
12-25-2006, 10:07 PM
ditto,

in the past I have had to use loctite or teflon tape

"TEFLON" tape..yes, that's the word I was looking for. Great stuff, that teflon.

labratmatt
12-25-2006, 11:01 PM
I've been runing an cartridge Italian Chorus BB for thousands of miles and haven't had any issues. I didn't use any locktite, just torqued it to specs with some standard grease. No trick that I know if. I think the unthreading thing is not as common as you might think providing you torque it to specs.