PDA

View Full Version : I think Time missed the boat...

Gummee
10-08-2019, 06:33 PM
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/time-cyclo-gravel-pedal/
https://images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/21/2019/10/time-cyclo-pedals-08-0af5221.jpg?quality=90&lb=940,626&background=white
I don't see double sided.
I don't see a whole lot of mud clearance

Not quite sure what's going on.

M

FlashUNC
10-08-2019, 06:38 PM
They already make the ideal gravel pedal in the ATAC.

ultraman6970
10-08-2019, 06:41 PM
As usual they need to show that they have something new.

They designed the perfect stuff many years ago IMO

Between you and me looks like keywin road pedals but with the look linkage.

simonov
10-08-2019, 06:50 PM
The perfect gravel pedal is the Shimano SPD-SL.

p nut
10-08-2019, 07:05 PM

That’s what I use. Very satisfied with them. Don’t see a need to create a “gravel” specific pedal.

jtakeda
10-08-2019, 07:08 PM

Yup. Stocked up over here :).

p nut
10-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Yup. Stocked up over here :).

On the older versions? I’ve got a few of the new ones that I use for road, gravel, and MTB. Never tried the old versions.

jtakeda
10-08-2019, 09:14 PM
On the older versions? I’ve got a few of the new ones that I use for road, gravel, and MTB. Never tried the old versions.

The 90s ones. I think I have 4 sets on deck. And one set of newer ones where I mysteriously broke a spring so they’re sitting in the donate pile

mtechnica
10-08-2019, 09:28 PM
The perfect gravel pedal is the Shimano SPD-SL.

You mean SPD?

GonaSovereign
10-09-2019, 05:43 AM
Claimed to be "specifically designed with the needs of gravel, cyclocross and touring cyclists in mind." It's a two-bolt cleat design, so I buy the touring element.

If it provides more support than an mtb pedal such as SPD or ATAC, that makes sense in some long day all-road scenarios.

No one will ever use those for cross. Never.

R3awak3n
10-09-2019, 05:44 AM
Claimed to be "specifically designed with the needs of gravel, cyclocross and touring cyclists in mind." It's a two-bolt cleat design, so I buy the touring element.

If it provides more support than an mtb pedal such as SPD or ATAC, that makes sense in some long day all-road scenarios.

No one will ever use those for cross. Never.

And most probably not for gravel either, 2 side is nice to have for gravel imo.

oldpotatoe
10-09-2019, 05:46 AM
"specifically designed with the needs of gravel, cyclocross and touring cyclists in mind."

A big maybe for cyclotourists and gravel, who knows, but NO cyclocross racer is going to EVER opt for a one sided pedal..

cal_len1
10-09-2019, 08:08 AM
In this article they mention CX, but in the cyclingtips article they say that Time doesn't recommend them for CX. So idk...

chiasticon
10-09-2019, 09:45 AM
one sided for CX? nope. I have enough trouble immediately clipping in at the gun or during a re-mount, I don't need to fight one-sided pedals too.

Butch
10-09-2019, 11:59 AM
Ditto - FlashUNC - ATAC works great MTB and gravel

simonov
10-09-2019, 02:30 PM
You mean SPD?

Nope.

DfCas
10-09-2019, 02:33 PM
I cannot like the new Time pedals because I would then have to replace the 13 pairs of ROC ATACs I currently have. Hate em.

glepore
10-09-2019, 05:29 PM
The double sided Time platforms just replace xpressos on my gravel bike, so not sure what the new pedal accomplishes, other than grams.

Spoker
10-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Might be an ideal road pedal.
Personally I like 2 bolt designs with some play over any current road cleat design.

Dekonick
10-09-2019, 10:44 PM
ATAC's on all of mine. Love them.

ultraman6970
10-10-2019, 08:54 AM
Wonder if the cleat for this new pedal is compatible with other time line up, because usually they redisign even the cleats making all of the other stuff guys have non useable, new shoes... etc etc...

That was the main reason i never went to expresos or even i-clic road pedals, or I was going to swap the pedals in all my bikes or stay with what I had. At least at my budget was a no no... the other problem is that for example the i-clic at the begining did not have too good reviews due to quality issues.

At the end moved to keywins which kept their design unchanged since a very long time ago. THey do have mountain bike pedals aswell and those the same, they havent changed the cleat design either.

jtakeda
10-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Wonder if the cleat for this new pedal is compatible with other time line up, because usually they redisign even the cleats making all of the other stuff guys have non useable, new shoes... etc etc...

That was the main reason i never went to expresos or even i-clic road pedals, or I was going to swap the pedals in all my bikes or stay with what I had. At least at my budget was a no no... the other problem is that for example the i-clic at the begining did not have too good reviews due to quality issues.

At the end moved to keywins which kept their design unchanged since a very long time ago. THey do have mountain bike pedals aswell and those the same, they havent changed the cleat design either.

The article said it would use normal atac cleats

FlashUNC
10-10-2019, 11:11 AM

Time's stuck with the iClic cleat design for a decade now. I doubt it's going anywhere any time soon.