PDA

View Full Version : Richmond-San Rafael Bridge almost open for cyclists.

XXtwindad
10-08-2019, 01:41 PM
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Cyclists-anxiously-await-new-bay-crossing-14493540.php

Would any of the Paceliners in the Bay Area use this? It seems like a great idea on paper. I'd do anything to avoid the GGBridge for Marin rides...

A few key quotes from the article:

“We’re looking at an hour bike ride from downtown Richmond to downtown San Rafael,” said Bjorn Griepenburg, policy and planning director for the Marin County Bicycle Coalition. With the advent of electric bikes, the journey should be lot faster and easier for a wide variety of people — not just spandex-wearing cyclists, but also regular commuters."

Still, the bike path hit resistance from some politicians and commuters who want it to serve cars and trucks instead. Some cite the success of the lower-deck lane, which has made evening commutes quicker for people heading from the North Bay to homes in Contra Costa. They want to see it replicated on the upper deck, by turning the bikeway into a lane for westbound traffic.

“We have a lot of teachers and custodians who live in the East Bay because they can’t afford to live in Marin, and they can’t ride a bike to work,” said Greg Knell, president of the San Rafael school board. He proposed that the barrier be removed and the bike lane opened to vehicles during the morning commute.

jtakeda
10-08-2019, 01:43 PM
When it opens some friends we’re talking about riding to work. Richmond bridge around to golden gate.

Easy peasy access to China camp

donevwil
10-08-2019, 01:51 PM
A co-worker living in Richmond has been commuting to Petaluma by bike for about a year. If his daughter can't ferry him over the bridge he resorts to CHP or bridge staff. He's going to love it, but all the other employees who live in (and drive from/to) the east bay are seeing red.

FlashUNC
10-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Gonna be hella windy on that top deck some days.

Hindmost
10-08-2019, 02:02 PM
It's the right idea. I have lived at both sides of the San Rafael bridge. It's pretty exposed to the elements; the GG bridge can be a cycling challenge sometimes. It would likely appeal to strictly the hardcore. If it has to compete for space on the bridge with automobiles the politics favor automobiles. (What if there were shuttle buses for cyclists?)

prototoast
10-08-2019, 02:17 PM
Is there a safe way to ride to/from the bridge from either side?

Now what I'd really like would be a safe cycling route between Vallejo and Novato.

EB
10-08-2019, 02:42 PM
Not a ride for the deep section wheels!

andrew+
11-19-2019, 11:45 AM
This opened on Saturday - anyone try it yet? I'm wondering what access to/from it is like.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Bicycling-where-none-have-bicycled-before-14841020.php#photo-18621963

donevwil
11-19-2019, 11:56 AM
This opened on Saturday - anyone try it yet? I'm wondering what access to/from it is like.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Bicycling-where-none-have-bicycled-before-14841020.php#photo-18621963

Co-worker did it yesterday (commutes from Richmond as mentioned above), but I didn't have time to get much detail last night (he works nights). Will ask him this eve.

FlashUNC
11-19-2019, 11:57 AM
Heard positive reviews from the weekend, but winds were generally calm too. I am curious about it as a long commute/training route into San Francisco.

Probably take, what, better part of an hour to 90 minutes to clear both bridges and get into the city?

82Picchio
11-19-2019, 12:35 PM
Heard positive reviews from the weekend, but winds were generally calm too. I am curious about it as a long commute/training route into San Francisco.

Probably take, what, better part of an hour to 90 minutes to clear both bridges and get into the city?

Depends on where you start in the East Bay...

FlashUNC
11-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Depends on where you start in the East Bay...

Yes, but referring strictly to the bridge to bridge, for lack of a better term. Haven't seen much about estimated times from the start of the San Rafael to the end of the Golden Gate, or vice versa.

Willy
11-19-2019, 11:46 PM
Rode it today - great path on the Richmond side. The bike path access is very well done. Hope a lot of people use it and it becomes permanent.

One thing I noticed is that it is not as noisy as the other bridges.

jtakeda
11-19-2019, 11:56 PM

I know someone who started in Berkeley and it took about 3 hours to get To downtown SF

joosttx
11-20-2019, 08:59 AM
20 million dollars of waste. At least that what it was estimated to cost. Now there is no shoulder for cars to pull off when they break down on a 5+ mile 2 lane bridge. Well, there is they just need a zipper vehicle to move the barriers :/.

The Richmond bridge is a better bridge to commit suicide than the GGB. Now you just gave an opportunity for suicidal people to access to jump. I have not seen any protection to prevent suicidal people from jumping.

Cannot wait til a gust of wind blows someone off the bridge

Cannot wait til a gust of wind blows a truck into the barriers wiping out a few peds and cyclists

No shoulder will cause huge back ups when there are already backups.

I just cannot support it when there was a bus that would take cyclists across the bridge before this project.

XXtwindad
11-20-2019, 08:55 PM
Some friends of a friend did an ALC training ride using it. Said it was great.

joosttx
11-20-2019, 09:14 PM
5.5 miles

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49098374232_64ea3afc5e_b.jpg

Willy
11-20-2019, 09:56 PM

Sorry about the orientation.

Duende
11-23-2019, 04:57 PM
Just road from my house in the Mission district to my sisters in El Cerrito/Richmond.

Big thumbs up from me. Less cross winds than the Golden Gate due to the enclosed sidings. However this makes Head/Tail winds a bit worse. The roughest spot is getting to the bridge once you pass San Quentin prison. Some sketchy shoulder riding along side the free way. It’s much cleaner on the Richmond side and Pt. Richmond is a sweet little town.

Anyways, lots of folks were on it today. I’m hoping it’s here to stay. Sorry Houston! But hey... look on the bright side... now you can ride to Wildcat Canyon on your bike! Some great MTB trails over there!!!!

Spdntrxi
11-23-2019, 06:03 PM
too me it sounds like they have not made up their mind on it yet from the story. Drivers want a third lane(breakdown)...so it better get some use. How nice of them to open it up once the rainy season begins and I have a feeling they will end up saying not enough ppl used it.