PDA

View Full Version : Tubing Aesthetics?

tuscanyswe
10-08-2019, 12:27 PM
So im having built a "budget" titanium frame.

Ive gotten the drawings for it and im thinking about tubing diameters.

Its got a 34.9mm dia seattube and a 44.5mm downtube which i think will be fine. The toptube is only 31.8 and the headtube is 44mm.

Im wondering if a slim 31.8 tube may look less than perfect attached to a 44mm headtube. Anyone got some thoughts on this or even pictures of a bike with 44mm ht and 31.8 toptube?

I realize tubing selection normally would come from other aspects than aesthetics but im not putting a side any potential riding charasteristics here im just thinking only about the visuals in this thread :)

Its also got 19mm seatstays which to me may sound bit to wide visually. I can choose 16 as well without issues for my weight. On a gravel frame ish like this i usually like thinner seatstays as thicker can look a bit mtb ish (to me). But not sure of the actual measurements on these but rather just an impression when i see them from time to time in pics.

Suggestions and comments like you are insane are welcomed :)

donevwil
10-08-2019, 12:41 PM
You're a big guy right (?) and this sounds like a big guy frame. 31.8mm (1.25") may seem small in conjunction with a 44mm HT and 44.5mm (1.75") DT, but I'm no frame designer. Maybe it'll enable it to plane?

My Potts has the same HT and DT, but a 38mm (1.5") TT. It was designed for me, however.

Do you trust the builder?

bigbill
10-08-2019, 12:42 PM
I can only see my frame when I'm off the bike. I can only feel it when I'm riding. I'd trust the builder.

David Tollefson
10-08-2019, 12:49 PM
I've built frames with 28.6 top tube mated to 44 down tubes (and 36 heat tubes or 44 head tubes). Doesn't look out of place. Your main torsional stiffness for the frame comes from the HT-DT-BB-CS links. The top of the frame gives it some room to be uncomfortably rigid or have some nice vibration attenuation. I like to go thin on the seatstays and top tube.

Try drawing it up full scale, pin it on a wall and step back a bit. I'm sure you'll find it's fine.

simonov
10-08-2019, 12:52 PM
I can only see my frame when I'm off the bike. I can only feel it when I'm riding. I'd trust the builder.

My philosophy is to either trust the builder or a find a different builder you trust. Don't get involved in tubing selection, though.

tuscanyswe
10-08-2019, 01:02 PM
My philosophy is to either trust the builder or a find a different builder you trust. Don't get involved in tubing selection, though.

Well im talking about aesthetics. No builder can tell me this looks better with any more accurancy than myself or my fellow forumites.

Considering this frame is beeing made in china and they have not even asked me my weight before sending me this drawing im not to concearned with sticking to their tubing selection.

I get to learn and tinker in the process, its good fun :)

Could i find a different builder? Yes. Would he offer me the same price? Not even close.. Hence i went down this route and thus far im really happy with the choice.

tuscanyswe
10-08-2019, 01:04 PM
You're a big guy right (?) and this sounds like a big guy frame. 31.8mm (1.25") may seem small in conjunction with a 44mm HT and 44.5mm (1.75") DT, but I'm no frame designer. Maybe it'll enable it to plane?

My Potts has the same HT and DT, but a 38mm (1.5") TT. It was designed for me, however.

Do you trust the builder?

Well im tall not really big. Only around 75kgs. Im 188cm tall or something like that.

Id love to see a picture of this if you have it? Edit: Oh yeah i have seen your beautiful bike. I just dident remember it was yours. Yeah looks proper with a 38mm tt as well.

donevwil
10-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Well im tall not really big. Only around 75kgs. Im 188cm tall or something like that.

Id love to see a picture of this if you have it?

I think David Tollefson nailed the reasoning behind the TT and likely SS choices.

I weight 225# (102kg) and my Potts (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=136466) was intended to be a large tired road bike, nothing gravel was ever discussed although Steve does refer to it as his first "gravel" build (of well).

tuscanyswe
10-09-2019, 01:57 AM
So does anyone know they have a ti bike or other perhaps with a 31.8 tt tube matched to a 44mm headtube?

Pic much appreciated. thanks

ChristianWong
10-09-2019, 02:14 AM
Is a tapered headtube an option? I've always preferred that look to the 'beer can' aesthetic of a 44mm headtube.