PDA

View Full Version : Black Mountain Road vs Monster Cross

deechee
10-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Does anyone have both the Black Mountain Monster Cross and Road bike? Is there any real world difference?

I have a Monster Cross, but I feel like its a bit too clunky (with fenders, rack, and the mish mash of cheap 9 speed parts it was built with). I'm more than happy with the 33mm Jack Browns I have on it at the moment - which made me realize maybe I would be better served with the road bike? But then, what's the difference if I just stripped the bike and rebuilt it with nicer parts? Is the road bike significantly lighter? (I'm not a weight weenie, but I live on a 2nd floor duplex)

I want a bike I can grab to go out the door to the park or for a quick 10 min ride to run errands.

donevwil
10-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Have had both, still have the MonsterX because it runs 44s. The road will clear ~37mm tires no problem and is probably a bit lighter, but beyond that the geo is surprisingly similar.

Significantly lighter? No. Same tubing, fewer braze-ons. Assuming you don't have a 65cm Gen 1 (screwy tubing spec Mike fixed on Gen 2) the difference is minor.

That said, BMC Roads can be had cheap and if 33s are all you want it may be everything you need.

AngryScientist
10-08-2019, 12:39 PM
if a lighter bike is what you're after, the move would be to get a BMC road bike and pair it with a Whiskey mid reach carbon fork.

i really love my BMC road bike, but no doubt the fork is a tank. replacing that with something lighter would significantly cut weight and still offer generous clearance.

of course, if you're going down that logic train, it might also be worth just looking for an All City Mr Pink, that comes with the whiskey fork already.

just some thoughts!

p nut
10-08-2019, 12:51 PM
...I have a Monster Cross, but I feel like its a bit too clunky (with fenders, rack, and the mish mash of cheap 9 speed parts it was built with)...

Why don't you take off the fenders/racks, get some decent wheels. I bet that would liven it up.

deechee
10-08-2019, 01:51 PM
Thanks everyone,

I have to first say, I do love the Monster Cross, something about it this year just didn't work for me. The Merckx orange on the Road has also been tempting for a while (my Serotta is orange too). So... n+1...

I didn't think the Road would be much lighter, and I like that the geometry is similar. Thanks donevwil.

AngryScientist, yeah I was thinking about the fork change too - it does seem a bit overkill-ish. That said, the geometry and paint of the BMRoad is what appeals to me most.

p nut, funny. I forgot about my rear rim being banged up. Definitely wouldn't hurt to replace the rim. I know I'm in the minority, but I was never super happy with the HED C2s from the get go (hence being relegated to commuter duty.)