PDA

View Full Version : Weird question but, what's the most neutral component brand?

zmalwo
10-07-2019, 10:20 PM
This sounds kinda weird but, which cockpit component brand do you guys consider to be the most "neutral" brand that can fit in any frame, any components, wheels etc? Deda feels like it only goes with campy stuff, Ritchy only goes with American stuff. Specialized goes with specialized bikes. maybe 3T? what do you guys think

dbnm
10-07-2019, 10:22 PM
Enve.

zmalwo
10-07-2019, 10:24 PM
Enve.

Enve only goes well with American stuff I feel like.

GOTHBROOKS
10-07-2019, 10:25 PM
dimenson and promax finishing kits on all the bikes in 2020.

bicycletricycle
10-07-2019, 10:29 PM
This sounds kinda weird but, which cockpit component brand do you guys consider to be the most "neutral" brand that can fit in any frame, any components, wheels etc? Deda feels like it only goes with campy stuff, Ritchy only goes with American stuff. Specialized goes with specialized bikes. maybe 3T? what do you guys think

Nitto

dookie
10-07-2019, 10:33 PM
Mavic, duh. The guys with the yellow cars.

Malinois
10-07-2019, 10:36 PM
Fizik. Fairly ubiquitous on modern builds.

rwsaunders
10-07-2019, 11:05 PM
Mavic, duh. The guys with the yellow cars.

That’s pretty good...your quick wit wasn’t lost in translation.

sitzmark
10-07-2019, 11:08 PM
The concept of "neutral" is a fleeting thing. With rapidly evolving aero/tech design, integration, and differentiation the idea of a universal cockpit group is a holdover from tube frame sets.

If talking about what company does the best job of branding and imprinting customer fantasy through marketing .... a different story.

FlashUNC
10-08-2019, 12:52 AM
All Simplex, all the time.

Blue Jays
10-08-2019, 12:56 AM
King Cage titanium waterbottle cages work nicely across a variety of builds.

Clean39T
10-08-2019, 01:49 AM

Yep. Same with gloss black Arundel Mandible cages.

BdaGhisallo
10-08-2019, 04:23 AM
How about folks just use whatever components they like on whatever bike they enjoy and stop worrying about what is "correct"?

merckx
10-08-2019, 06:01 AM
DT

The Swiss have never stepped into anything.

Dekonick
10-08-2019, 06:14 AM
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/

:banana:

madsciencenow
10-08-2019, 06:39 AM
I like the DT answer but I'll throw Zipp into the mix.

paredown
10-08-2019, 06:47 AM
King headsets?

When I came back to cycling, I thought it was some new cult--that you couldn't build a bike unless you installed a King headset...:banana:

R3awak3n
10-08-2019, 07:51 AM

Not with skinny tube steel, that would be the king cage SS cages.

The new 3t stuff fits with everything, most is black stuff and nice

Gummee
10-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Man but winter is going to be long if we're already this far into navel gazing

M

ERK55
10-08-2019, 08:04 AM
I didn’t realize that wheels/rims were considered “cockpit”.

unterhausen
10-08-2019, 08:28 AM
I didn’t realize that wheels/rims were considered “cockpit”.

I don't understand the question, is it just about bar tape, stems and handlebars? "Cockpit" suggests we're talking about brake levers to me.

Elefantino
10-08-2019, 08:32 AM
Anything without a logo is the most neutral.

benb
10-08-2019, 08:54 AM
I just use whatever I like.

That usually means Zipp handlebars & Fizik saddles. I like Mavic wheels. They're no-nonsense and I've had good longevity out of them. They don't do things like design the hubs for forced obsolescence like Shimano.

Stems are a major whatever. They need to be strong & not fail and clamp the steerer tube & handlebar effectively. They need to be the correct length and angle. That's all they need to do IMO. There are way better things to worry about than stem branding/fashion.

mktng
10-08-2019, 09:32 AM
stem and seatpost.

i feel like Thomson goes well with anything.

Jaybee
10-08-2019, 09:33 AM
Most manufacturers are on board with a contemporary minimal aesthetic, which means almost any part goes with any other part as long as they are functionally compatible.

Nearly every bike part I own was manufactured in China or Taiwan regardless of it's American/Italian/Japanese/whatever branding, so I'm not going to worry too much about throwing a Deda stem on a Cannondale.

madsciencenow
10-08-2019, 09:35 AM

M

Preach it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbill
10-08-2019, 09:39 AM
Back in 87, I was a rebel and put Modolo bars on my Mercian. Should have gotten a tattoo.

Bostic
10-08-2019, 10:07 AM
Back in 87, I was a rebel and put Modolo bars on my Mercian. Should have gotten a tattoo.

I liked the Modolo x-tenos 8 bend ergonomic bars. Both my Trek 2100 and 1400 had them in the early 90's.

berserk87
10-08-2019, 10:32 AM

M

Yeah. I'm not sure if I legitimately don't understand the question being posed, or if my brain is trying to block my understanding of it for my own protection. In any event, I have to confess that I don't understand what is being asked.

fiamme red
10-08-2019, 10:36 AM
The answer is easy: Campagnolo Neutrons. :)

GOTHBROOKS
10-08-2019, 10:36 AM
my japanese “gruppo”

Big Dan
10-08-2019, 10:46 AM
Most of the stuff is made in Taiwan.

sales guy
10-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Ritchey- a more basic/utilitarian brand for bikes. They make nice high-end parts also, but it's still more a US/utilitarian brand.

PRO- obviously perfect for the Shimano builds cause they are owned by them. Higher end bikes, more Euro bike brands.

Enve- US, Europe, higher end bikes. Not many Asian brands though.

Deda- Europe, Asia, Italian. Mainly high-end bikes.

3TTT- US, Asia, Europe. Mainly middle end bikes.

Zipp- Mainly US and mainly higher end bike.

Cinelli- Not a ton of companies/brands stock it. So it's the uniques that use it. Asia mainly.

Thomson- US, Europe. Mainly middle end bikes.

Nitto- the unique builds.

House brands- obvious on this one.

FSA- aftermarket for repairs. Not many custom builds. US, Europe, Asia.

Fizik- not very popular. More custom bikes. Asia is bigger market.

ATMO of course. Not trying to sound stereotypical but the Asian market loves Italian products. Huge market. So things like Deda, 3TTT, Cinelli, Fizik, they will all have a bigger market there and more kits on bikes. That's how I know based my list above. Working for a couple global bike companies.

steamer
10-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Yeah. I'm not sure if I legitimately don't understand the question being posed, or if my brain is trying to block my understanding of it for my own protection. In any event, I have to confess that I don't understand what is being asked.

You're not alone

colker
10-08-2019, 08:20 PM
You're not alone

Agree. It´s just prejudice for the sake of nothing. Have your own style and obey no rules.

zmalwo
10-08-2019, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I shouldn't care about the small stuff like this.

philhan89
10-08-2019, 10:23 PM
zipp aluminum components are subtle to the wallet and eyes. no crazy drops or sizes, though they do offer. go the beyond black option, black matches with everything. Ti hardware. the only minor gripe is that its T25.

also pleased with fizik products but more branding.

zmalwo
10-08-2019, 10:27 PM
zipp aluminum components are subtle to the wallet and eyes. no crazy drops or sizes, though they do offer. go the beyond black option, black matches with everything. Ti hardware. the only minor gripe is that its T25.

also pleased with fizik products but more branding.

Fizik does seem like the solution since even the pros use fizik saddles regardless of their sponsors. Their stems are aesthetically pleasing to look at.

sales guy
10-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I shouldn't care about the small stuff like this.

That's part of my job is worrying about these details. It's someones dream bike and my job is to make it happen and help them thru all the tiny details. So I got your question. I posted that list in the hopes of helping. But since you listed what you have, that will help.

For the Colnago, go with a Deda kit. It's great kit and they offer it in silver/alloy if the frame or components are alloy or have chrome. And they offer a silver alloy quill stem. So a great option. And if it's a carbon kit, they have the Superleggera/o which looks awesome and performs that way as well.

For the Tarmac, honestly, anything will work but I'd go with a PRO kit. I really like their parts. Well designed, look great, not horribly expensive and if you have an aero frame, you can get something like their Vibe Stealth bar with the one piece bar/stem design. Obviously getting a S kit would be fine too. But outside that I would get a PRO kit.

GOTHBROOKS
10-08-2019, 10:50 PM
you cant run pro with campy.