PDA

View Full Version : Potenza shift lever brake return problem

papa bless
10-07-2019, 06:30 PM
I’m hoping someone wiser than me can help me with a Campagnolo problem.

For the past week, my front brake doesn’t spring back into an open position, and I have to manually move my brake lever to keep the brake calipers from dragging on my rim. I just took things apart this evening, and it looks like the spring on my front brake is still fine and strong. However, my left Potenza brake lever has some friction (I don’t know if these levers are spring assisted, or if they rely on the calipers for return).

It looks like the lever is held in place with a pin. Could this be an issue of the bushings/washers on the pin between the lever and the shifter body getting clogged from road gunk? Or is a spring mechanism potentially broken?

Also, does anyone have an exploded diagram of a Potenza shifter?

ultraman6970
10-07-2019, 06:38 PM
Have a set of those levers and I did not see anything different than any other campy lever. that means a pin and like a bushing. TO remove the lever just pop the pin out.

See if the pin is sticking out the same amount at both sides, then adjust using a small mallet or hammer... the other thing you can do is to tap the pin to the left and then to the right and see if that helps.

prototoast
10-07-2019, 07:17 PM
My guess is it's the cable/housing.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2019, 06:18 AM
I’m hoping someone wiser than me can help me with a Campagnolo problem.

For the past week, my front brake doesn’t spring back into an open position, and I have to manually move my brake lever to keep the brake calipers from dragging on my rim. I just took things apart this evening, and it looks like the spring on my front brake is still fine and strong. However, my left Potenza brake lever has some friction (I don’t know if these levers are spring assisted, or if they rely on the calipers for return).

It looks like the lever is held in place with a pin. Could this be an issue of the bushings/washers on the pin between the lever and the shifter body getting clogged from road gunk? Or is a spring mechanism potentially broken?

Also, does anyone have an exploded diagram of a Potenza shifter?

These brake blades are all held in by a one direction pin. NO springs in there. You can tap the pin out, make sure the plastic bushings are OK, lube and reassemble.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2019, 06:19 AM
My guess is it's the cable/housing.

However, my left Potenza brake lever has some friction

Sounds like 'friction' with the cable disconnected.

papa bless
10-08-2019, 08:17 AM
Awesome, thank you guys. I think I may have just gunked up the pivot location around the pin holding the brake lever in place. I'll pop that pin out tonight and investigate.

zmalwo
10-08-2019, 10:23 AM
seems like your cables. sometimes even the angle of entry of your brake cable can be the problem.

papa bless
10-09-2019, 10:14 AM
seems like your cables. sometimes even the angle of entry of your brake cable can be the problem.

It turned out to be the pivot location around the pin holding the brake lever in place. I was still experiencing the brake lever sticking even when I had disconnected the cable from the brake and removed the housing.

I was able to lube the washers/bushings in the pin area and tap the pin in both directions to get the lube in there, and everything is back to normal. I think this winter when I deep clean my bike, I'll take the assembly apart for a better cleaning.

Thanks for the help guys!