PDA

View Full Version : Spares for Campy 11 SR FD-source?

Steve in SLO
10-06-2019, 10:47 PM
Hi all,
On a hilly group ride today I noticed my front derailer was not shifting quite as crisply and looked down to find that the composite bridge that spans between the inner and outer plates had broken off at the mounting bolt. It shifted fine for the remaining 25 miles of the hilly pits, despite numerous up-and-down shifts. That being said, it seems like a part I should have :-). I looked on Branford and it wasn’t listed as a spare that I could see. Any other ideas would be welcome.
Thanks

YesNdeed
10-06-2019, 11:12 PM
Common failure, and why I now use Chorus FDs. Although a Record FD I've been using is holding up well. I was told the cage can be replaced with either a replacement part one taken from another FD, but I found it easier to just replace the FD. I wish Campy sold the spare bridge, but after looking pretty thoroughly myself, I couldn't find it.

Steve in SLO
10-06-2019, 11:34 PM
Thanks. After looking at their spares catalog it seems it only comes as part of a complete cage replacement, which is really expensive. I may just sub out a Chorus cage instead.

lhuerta
10-07-2019, 12:38 AM
...just find a used Chorus front mech on eBay and cannibalize the cage. The replacement cage will yield more positive/accurate shifting compared to the carbon cage. The Super Record RS gruppo introduced right before the 2015 redesign of Campy gruppos included a metal cage instead of carbon.

https://cyclingtips.com/2014/09/campagnolo-super-record-rs-groupset-review-2/

m_sasso
10-07-2019, 12:54 AM
A copy of my post from 2014;

On the SR front derailleur, I purchased a used 11 speed entire unit inexpensively with the customarily beat up carbon/Al. reinforced cage and some slight white logo blemishes, otherwise perfect.

I am not fond of the Campagnolo FD carbon/Al cages, seen way to many of them damaged through routine use. So rather than purchase a replacement cage, I purchased a new Centaur front derailleur for well under the cost of a replacement cage. On wear components I will gladly exchange/accept the minimal weight penalty for reliability.

The SR cage attachment pins and the Centaur cage attachment rivet/pins are the same size 4.0mm and the attachment spacing is almost equal, the slight difference being cage material thickness. Circular SS metric shim is available through McMaster Carr, 4.0mm ID, 8.0mm OD in various thickness starting at 0.1mm, 0.5mm thick, part number 98089A330 if required.

On the Centaur FD I drilled out the cage attachment pin/rivet peened heads, pulled the pins and removed the cage. On the SR FD I popped the C-clips on the cage attachment pins, pulled the pins, removed the cage.

The SR FD reassemble required some wrestling with the springs, pushing the attachment pins through the lined up actuating arms, springs, shims and cage attachment holes, snap the C-clips back on the pins and your done.

Oh, and there was some minor additional dabs of Phil waterproof grease in there also!

http://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-tech.com-vbulletin/680x510/80-srfront_derailleur1_63341ce0d95cf2ac49bf2fa3710baf 17e84254c0.jpg

http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-tech.com-vbulletin/640x680/80-srfront_derailleur_7fcd4df82fd86ab14380d5553c46ea3 5710e63ea.jpg

Steve in SLO
10-07-2019, 01:14 AM
Thanks, Marc!

oldpotatoe
10-07-2019, 06:10 AM
Common failure, and why I now use Chorus FDs. Although a Record FD I've been using is holding up well. I was told the cage can be replaced with either a replacement part one taken from another FD, but I found it easier to just replace the FD. I wish Campy sold the spare bridge, but after looking pretty thoroughly myself, I couldn't find it.

Not an uncommon issue and no, Campag does NOT supply that wee small part(they should, but alas)..Either find a donor front der, get a cage(big $), or get a Chorus, Athena, Potenza, Centaur metal front der. A 10s one will work fine and dandy.

Correction..front cage from EPS and different from the mechanical ones...

CDollarsign
10-07-2019, 06:35 AM
This happened to me on a record FD. I found a Chorus FD that someone was just selling as parts on ebays for cheap (~$20) and replaced the cage. It was not trivial as there’s a pretty heavy spring you’ve got to load and place...