PDA

View Full Version : Lip protection

p nut
10-06-2019, 11:22 AM
Anyone else deal with sunburnt or very chapped lips after a long ride in the sun? I have gooped on sunblock and chapstick to no avail. I can deal with chapped lips but not the sunburn. They swell up and start peeling. Short of covering my face with a Buff headwear, any other potential solutions?

Veloo
10-06-2019, 11:51 AM
Are you using the kind of lip sunscreen that leaves an almost opaque, white layer? I find those are the only ones that keep me from burning.

If I get a burn anywhere, I put on aloe vera.

Dired
10-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Not sure if this helps op, but the mad alchemy lip balm is absolutely fantastic.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

DeBike
10-06-2019, 12:17 PM
I have chronic issues with dry lips and oral tissue. Some of it just comes with age, some from medications. I always have chapstick on hand and almost never go anywhere without water to sip on.

I use original ChapStick moisturizer, blue and black outer wrapping, with an SPF of 15. I reapply frequently. I have used others, such as Blistex, but they leave a foul taste in my mouth. I sip on water a lot and swish it around in my mouth before swallowing. I also use small pieces of sugarless gum to help alleviate the dry mouth. I like Tic Tac gum as it is already small pieces. Regular stick gum I will use in 1/4 piece at a time.

Bruce K
10-06-2019, 12:48 PM
Carmex for relief of chapping

Great stuff

BK

commandcomm
10-06-2019, 01:03 PM
I use the stuff that Rivendell sells and works well. It is made for the lips.

https://www.rivbike.com/collections/soaps-goops/products/dermatone-z-cote-sungoop-25006

HenryA
10-06-2019, 02:41 PM
A visor on your helmet can do wonders in keeping your face protected from the sun.

MagicHour
10-06-2019, 10:34 PM
Kiss my face spf30 lip balm works pretty well. Their face factor sunscreen spf50 is good too.

tctyres
10-07-2019, 05:26 AM
Kiss my face spf30 lip balm works pretty well. Their face factor sunscreen spf50 is good too.

+1 very waxy, too

Irishgirl
10-07-2019, 07:14 PM
I carry lip balm with an spf in the same pocket as my Kleenex (I still haven’t mastered it the snot rocket) and reapply frequently. IMO reapplication may be the key to protecting your lips.

I also use a lip scrub which I find helps with dry/flakey lips which may fall into a category of “to much girl”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliedid
10-07-2019, 07:38 PM
Anyone else deal with sunburnt or very chapped lips after a long ride in the sun? I have gooped on sunblock and chapstick to no avail. I can deal with chapped lips but not the sunburn. They swell up and start peeling. Short of covering my face with a Buff headwear, any other potential solutions?

Possible dehydration issue?

lip balm in a vicious cycle so once you start you pretty much always use it.

I like Chicken Poop brand. https://ilovechickenpoop.com/

charliedid
10-07-2019, 07:38 PM
I carry lip balm with an spf in the same pocket as my Kleenex (I still haven’t mastered it the snot rocket) and reapply frequently. IMO reapplication may be the key to protecting your lips.

I also use a lip scrub which I find helps with dry/flakey lips which may fall into a category of “to much girl”.

You use that before or after chamois cream? ;-)

Irishgirl
10-07-2019, 07:42 PM
You use that before or after chamois cream? ;-)

You were given two hands for a reason...

charliedid
10-07-2019, 07:51 PM
You were given two hands for a reason...

Multitasking

p nut
10-07-2019, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the tips. I’ll try out some of those lip balms. I’ll have to remember to carry it with me on the rides and reapply often. Is there a handlebar mount for those things? :p

Hydration may be an issue as well.

verbs4us
10-08-2019, 09:16 AM
for decades, my go-to has been Dermatone, and like the newer stuff with Z-cote (whatever that is--probably zinc oxide. The tins have been increasingly harder to find so I get them on line.