PDA

View Full Version : Dura Ace 9100 vs 9000 Derailleur Cables

JeffWarner
10-04-2019, 11:38 PM
Outside of the new section of 240mm housing for the rear derailleur, is there any difference between the Dura Ace 9100 derailleur cable set vs the 9000 sets?

I've got a 9100 equipped bike and found a couple of sets of 9000 cable kits I stashed a few years back. I can't see the short tongue ferrules in the shifter body; but the housing, cables and long tongue ferrules all look the same.

The piece for the 9100 rear derailleur is different (housing and plastic guide with tongue that goes into the rear derailleur). A few on line vendors are selling that bit separate and I figure I can pick it up and use with the 9000 kit.

Gummee
10-05-2019, 07:54 AM
Easier to go to the LBS and buy SP41 by the foot and pick up some Optislick or Jagwire Pro/Elite Polished cables and go to town.

AFA the question: the new one says 9100

M

berserk87
10-05-2019, 02:42 PM
The piece for the 9100 rear derailleur is different (housing and plastic guide with tongue that goes into the rear derailleur). A few on line vendors are selling that bit separate and I figure I can pick it up and use with the 9000 kit.

I'm not sure that's correct. Coincidentally I installed a 9100 rear derailleur yesterday. Per the instructions, the housing end that goes into the derailleur is the one with the silver metal ferrule (see page 16 of the instructions: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RARD001-02-ENG.pdf).

The instructions are terrible. They are vague and confusing, so if I'm mis-reading them let me know. I set mine up with the metal ferrule feeding into the derailleur itself. It shifts nicely.

I didn't understand the comments in the instructions about the tongue. The rear derailleur adjusting barrel into which the cable housing goes had something like a tongue protruding from the bottom. Is that what is being referenced in the instructions?

In fact, that little missile-like tongue thing was not even in my cable set. I installed the RD and 9100 shifters yesterday and didn't see it.

sales guy
10-05-2019, 07:30 PM
The only difference is the small piece from the frame to the rear derailleur is slightly more flexible. Everything else is the same. I've used the normal SP41 for that smaller piece without issues. They made that piece more flexible due to the shadow style with the road link. It moves more and has a different entry angle than the normal style derailleurs.

JeffWarner
10-23-2019, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure that's correct. Coincidentally I installed a 9100 rear derailleur yesterday. Per the instructions, the housing end that goes into the derailleur is the one with the silver metal ferrule (see page 16 of the instructions: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RARD001-02-ENG.pdf).

The instructions are terrible. They are vague and confusing, so if I'm mis-reading them let me know. I set mine up with the metal ferrule feeding into the derailleur itself. It shifts nicely.

I didn't understand the comments in the instructions about the tongue. The rear derailleur adjusting barrel into which the cable housing goes had something like a tongue protruding from the bottom. Is that what is being referenced in the instructions?

In fact, that little missile-like tongue thing was not even in my cable set. I installed the RD and 9100 sifters yesterday and didn't see it.

Beserk, you got it right. The metal ferrule is the correct one to stick in the derailleur. The tongue I referencing is at the top of page 17 on the pdf you linked. On a new derailleur, its already installed. Its advertised a wear item, so it looks like the 9100 specific cable kit includes it.

The only difference is the small piece from the frame to the rear derailleur is slightly more flexible. Everything else is the same. I've used the normal SP41 for that smaller piece without issues. They made that piece more flexible due to the shadow style with the road link. It moves more and has a different entry angle than the normal style derailleurs.

Perfect, thanks!

Blown Reek
10-23-2019, 08:36 PM
Whatever. The housing on 9000 is dark grey, the 9100 is black. Same stuff, don't be fooled.