PDA

View Full Version : hangin' up my running shoes for good

Climb01742
12-24-2006, 11:02 AM
i started running when i was 12. i'm 52 now. i ran yesterday after riding all spring, summer and fall. oh man. running pounds you in ways cycling never does. when i woke up this morning, every joint hurt. it's hard to imagine how i ran for 40 years, and for at least 25 of those years i ran every day, sometimes up to 100 miles a week. i love the simplicity of running. i know with time i could get my body back into running shape and the aches/pains would lessen, but that would just mask how much running pounds you. and on this morning's ride i felt another "truth": riding is just more fun for me. it's a bit sad to think about never running again but after 40 years i think my body has just taken as much running abuse as it can handle. thanks heavens for riding, and how much kinder it is to a body with a few miles on it. :rolleyes:

sellsworth
12-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Good move to give up running. Now you should take up rowing if you haven't already. Rowing is arguably the best overall workout and a great compliment to cycling. And if done right there are no aches and pains.

Lincoln
12-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Climb, Nothing wrong with your decision but in my experience it only takes a couple of painful runs to get back to where you go out for a few miles without those aches and pains.

Lincoln

marle
12-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Climb your bones need some sort of weight bearing excercise. If not running, maybe you should consider lifting (eg squats). Good luck.

Smiley
12-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Retire from running and start walking Ed , That is once chick magnet of a dog Climb ( I hope SO is not lurking these threads :) )

Fixed
12-24-2006, 02:59 PM
bro I might be the biggest dummy here but i know one thing (maybe)
never say never
imho
cheers

itsalldark
12-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Go buy a NEW pair of running shoes from a store that knows what they are doing. If your shoes are more than a year old, even if they haven't been worn, they need to be replaced. Then go for a run---you should notice a big difference, and as said in another post, you will feel much better after a couple of runs and your form returns.

Sandy
12-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Retire from running and start walking Ed , That is once chick magnet of a dog Climb ( I hope SO is not lurking these threads :) )

I had my daughter's dog Darby for 6 months. He LOVED going for walks and trying to chase everything that moved. He and I walked mutiple miles, seven days a week. About that chick magnet deal- The only thing that seemed attracted to me were fleas!! :)

Scratching Simple Sandy

Len J
12-24-2006, 07:11 PM
43 years ago, after running a couple of world class age group marathons, I developed some pain in my hips....after it got increasingly worse, I finally broke down and went to an MD.....who immediately sent me to an orthopod.......after a series of tests.......I'll never forget this moment, he said: "If you want to walk when you are 35, you'll stop running today." I was devastated! Running was the first thing I was ever any good at....and I had a chance to be very good. It also was my escape from some bad home stuff.

I took up cycling for my own sanity.......and have been riding ever since. Combination of Tai Chi & cycling & now at 51, I'm still walking.

Running pounds the hell out of you.....& most people don't know how to run which makes the pounding worse. About once a year I jones for a run & go out.......I still feel it, I'm like a junky, but the hangover the next day in my joints has me going cold turkey again.

"Early morning, the house is deep forest still, seemingly lifeless as I quietly check on DC and gently slip out into the virgin day. Stretching, as the first hint of light comes from the eastern horizon, I sink into my salvation ritual. I start out running at an easy pace, relishing the hints of protest as my sleep stiff body awakens and prepares itself. A mile in, I turn off the access road and into the path through the park, alone save for the approaching hint of memory. As I accelerate to increase the distance, the wall of discomfort rises, blocking out everything but the drumbeat of my footfalls, the certainty of the moment and the reality of being alive. Nothing matters save the battle between managing the physical hurt and staying ahead of the real pain. In the running, I feel most alive, and remember the least. I am in control and relish the escape.
Too soon, always too soon, I see my house in the distance, my pace slows and the memories catch me. Quietly, I slip back into my life."

Climb....I understand.

Len

sokyroadie
12-24-2006, 09:53 PM
43 years ago, & now at 51, Len

Mathmetics lesson 18+43=61, so your either lying about your age ;) or your math sucks :rolleyes: . J/K BTW running sucks.

Jeff

Grant McLean
12-24-2006, 09:55 PM
bro I might be the biggest dummy here but i know one thing (maybe)
never say never
imho
cheers

the bro is a wise man.

g

Len J
12-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Mathmetics lesson 18+43=61, so your either lying about your age ;) or your math sucks :rolleyes: . J/K BTW running sucks.

Jeff

& I'm old too.... :crap:

Len

Climb01742
12-25-2006, 06:23 AM
my shoes are new. and i agree, with a few runs, it would be_less_painful. but for the last few years i've been dealing with quite a few injuries, while i was running and riding. the last two years, when i rode 99.9% of the time, i've made good progress on the injuries. i'm not biomechanically gifted, to say the least. while i love running, imperfections in my gait have taken a toll. in the process of rehab, i've been lifting with a strength coach the last 3 months. squats are part of the program. just this past week i got up to using big boy plates (the 45s), so i have the weight bearing part covered. bottomline for me is, cycling is more fun these days and far gentler to my body. watch some folks run, as they glide over the earth, and they were born to do it. my running was always will over biomechanics. i have a triathlete buddy who is staring a hip replacement in the eye. we've run together and ridden together. his body was never made to run, either. he's not quiting running. while i understand his passion, i'd rather keep my own joints. :rolleyes:

Smiley
12-25-2006, 08:09 AM
New Balance Shoes , Climb , I think even if they are new you can use them mowing the grass on the Climb estate :banana:

How's Ed , more pix's please :)

Too Tall
12-25-2006, 09:08 AM
It's been a good run. As they say.
Add rowing? Good for former runners too :)

William
12-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Y'all know me.
Y'all know how I make a liv'in.
I don't want no mates, there's too many "captains" on this Island.
Y'all know my take on rowing.
Run'in will swallow ya whole. No pound'in, no tenderizing, no gummin.
Hit the weights, ride the bike, and get a Concept 2.

That's all I have to say bout that.

William ;)