PDA

View Full Version : New Trek Domane - anyone ride?

rinconryder
10-03-2019, 01:44 PM
Looking at the new Trek Domane as my do it all ride. Mix of road and gravel riding. Seems like a good option for my intended use.

Has anyone here ridden one, especially if you put larger tires on it? Thanks!

Wes

commonguy001
10-03-2019, 04:40 PM
I picked up the new 2020 Domane and did the SL6 version. With the wide rims and Gravel King file tread tires in 32 they actually measure out around 35 now tubeless. Super comfortable ride and handles gravel just fine. I haven't tried to put bigger on yet but have a set of Teravail Rutlands in 42 on another bike with the same axles sizing so I could see if they fit.

I'm only a few road rides and a couple mixed surface rides in but so far I really like it. Some of the features are kinda gimmicky but gimmicky in a way that works for me. I actually like having the tool/tube and stuff in the down tube and run the integrated day flasher where I'd usually have a seat pack. The threaded bottom bracket is a nice addition as I've had press fits that make noise, etc.

Overall very happy, if you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer them.

blakcloud
10-03-2019, 05:47 PM
I bought the 2020 SL6 as well and absolutely love this bike. It is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. I like the gimmicky stuff like the tool compartment. The bike looks cleaner without having a bag hanging off the saddle. The T47 bottom bracket is what cinched the deal for me.

If I knew I was going to love this bike as much as I do, I would have bought the Di2 version. I bought it as kind of fourth bike so I didn't want to spend a lot, yet I find this is the bike I ride the most. If I had to chose only one bike of my four, this is the one I would pick.

GScot
10-03-2019, 09:05 PM
I have an 18 SL 6 which has the iso-speed front and rear. I bought the rim brake version as I needed a road bike but have a bad elbow that really appreciates a little forgiveness in the front end. Fits 30s easily with the Bontrager direct mount brakes. I know it has been updated but I really like this bike. Tracks where I look on sketchy descents, handles the occasional shortcut through a rutted rocky service road just fine.

Whenever I get around to adding another bike for rougher roads / gravel I'll check into the disk Domane first thing. Although I do have a soft spot for the Lauf gravel bike after a two day test ride.