PDA

View Full Version : OT: Fitbit for mom - help

Irishgirl
10-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Got a call today from my mom - she’s in her 70’s asking about Fitbits and if she should get one. My first round of questions was to understand why she’s interested. So after listening to her answers I got:

Wants to know her steps
Wants to know her heart rate
Wants to know when her phone is ringing
Likes the colors
Her girlfriend has one and raves about it

Taking into consideration being in her 70’s and taking a better interest in her health as this year has had its fair share of concerns and excited she’s on a better health path it’s important to support her.

I’m unfamiliar with the FitBit or other bracelet/watch type fitness trackers and quickly looked online to discover this device doesn’t connect with cell phones.

She uses a galaxy phone currently and not sure if she will have a galaxy phone long term.

Questions for the group -
Are there FitBit type devices that aren’t tied to a specific phone?

And is there a better device to consider to track steps/heart rate without the notification your phone is ringing?

Thanks for the input/feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdmtong
10-03-2019, 01:52 PM
I have a FitBit Alta HR that I got upon release.

It's interesting to see my steps, sleep patterns and HR in the context of the device capability. I got it as part of a health plan so did not comparison shop for metric accuracy.

it's thin and unobtrusive. the face cannot be replaced so if it gets scratched theres no remedy. found this out after bouncing off some rocks while hiking. Its harder to read outside in direct sunlight.

it connects to an app installed on the phone via bluetooth. so not clear what your connectivity questions are?

Don't over think this, go get her one.