PDA

View Full Version : Ultra eating tips?

jeffg
05-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Too Tall, BigMac, etc:

Just reviewing the preliminary results from my last double (and reflecting a bit on the experience), I realize that one of my weaknesses is rest stops. More specifically, as the ride goes on I find I am less able to eat on the bike. This means I end up spending a few extra minutes at the stop putting solid food into my body, washing it down and then proceeding. I saw most folks just grab something and continue -- what they were eating also didn't seem like enough food when you are going to burn 10,000 calories or more. The minimalist approach works for me over the first 100 miles if I am feeling good; however, after that I can really only do water in the bottles after that point (no more Sustained Energy, etc.) and much prefer solid food to Extran boxes. Also, I find a quick stretch really helps me. Are there strategies for optimizing your metabolism here and minimizing stops? 5 extra minutes per rest stop is 30 minutes over the course of a double! I really noticed it when I saw someone not stop at the last rest stop (I had to since my wife and son were waiting). When I caught up to him, he told me he had not gotten off his bike at all over 206 miles. This another facet of riding doubles I have not really though enough about. I would love to hear about your experiences.

best,

Jeff

:banana:

Too Tall
05-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Hokey Smokes Bullwinkle you did GREAT! It is quite an accomplishment. There is nothing wrong with a quick stop here and there esp. if you have trouble keeping calories up while riding. If you want to set a PR or just feel better and stay on the bike there are somethings to do and try. Eating while riding is learned.

First. 10,000 calories??? Yikes. I weigh 200 and when I'm in shape go on 250-300 / hr. and at the grab n' go rest stops will take an extra 200 cals. worth of this and that (cheese crackers, pretzels, chips, peanuts, beef jerkey). So, I'm throwing it out to you for some critical thinking about what you do eat/drink...like to eat and drink...and what your water and electrolytes are looking like.

If I was going to do an fast double out of pocket I'd do something like this:
1. 72oz camelback a must with plain clear water. Only fill as needed.
2. 2 big water bottles. 1 mixed with triple strenght Sustained Energy (good for 3 hrs. The other bottle filled with three dry servings of Sustained Energy. (refill after 3-5 hrs.)
3. Carry remainder of SE in slide lock baggies.
4. 4 full flasks of HammerGel. *One spare in case of delays.
5. 25 endurolytes (1-4 / hr.)

Eat at rate of about 250-300 cals. / hr. with 12-20 oz H2O (Sustained Energy counts) with 1-4 endurolytes / hr. or something salty.

At the rest stops, priority # one is to make bottles, chuck trash, relube yer bumm, check the queue sheet, look for departing riders, grab non-sugar salty goodies (fat is good) and boogie. *Pee BEFORE you get to the rest stops even if it means losing a wheel...you'll catch up.

Mind you can eat that 10,000 calories but you don't need to and will have to slow down or rest in order to ride hard.

Is that makin' sense to yez?

PS - I am very envious of the CA double scene. If I lived there couldn't get enough of that action.

BigMac
05-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Jeff:

God bless you, always trying to knock a little more time off your epic effort to set a PR under this years sweltering heat at DMD.

I have spoken with enough folks far smarter than I who have said I am buring a minimum of 8k calories riding DMD, probably closer to 10k if I am pushing really hard. The first thing you have to realize is that it is virtually impossible to consume that many calories in a day, its even more difficult under those conditions when your muscles need maximum blood-oxygen supply that your intestines would steal if you attempted to consume even 5k calories during the race. What to do? One of my secrets is to consume easily digested, high calorie food at least 1 hour prior to event, eat only enough to maintain proper electrolyte levels during event and look forward to a huge meal after event.

My 4:00AM meal is a huge bowl of grits, slathered in butter and topped with raisins. On the side is a cantelope or some other fresh melon, 4 slices of raisin bread, 2 bananas and several cups of tea with honey. All is readily digestable, provides reasonable amount of calories and body fuel.

At each aid station I receive a Luna lemon bar or Cliff bar, usually alternating and 2 packets of Cliffshot or Gu. I also carry 2 20oz water bottles with plain water and a 3rd small water bottle of 1/3 diluted Gookinade which I stuff in rear pocket. Call it strange or what have you but I wear a Camelback during most training rides but refuse to wear one at supported event. My stomach is not overly sensitive unless under duress of event, then it becomes very sensitive and I need to dilute energy drinks in order to prevent indigestion. I also struggle to consume certain energy drinks, Cytomax is the worst for me, Gookinade and Gatorade are no problems as long as they are diluted. Its a trial and error method to know what works best for you.

The best part is the end. Just about the 175-180 mark, I'm usually pretty spent and just want to get it over with. Its at this time that I simply focus on my favorite foods which I know my wife will have waiting for me at the finish. Call it cheap psychology but I honestly zone out during the last 20 miles just focussing on that meal which usually finds me actually spinning faster and pushing harder despite fact that I thought I had been spent.

You've done enough of these rides by know you probably know what works best for your gastric system. As for the rest stops, they do not work for me, I stop briefly for lunch, always moving and stretching to stay limber even while eating. At all other rest stops, I grab my food and water and pedal through. Are you comfortable riding hands-free? If so, give this a try. Your body may need the rest breaks. If I stopped at each rest area, I fear my muscles would tighten up and I'd never get going again. During your training rides, how long do you pedal w/o stopping? The rest stops on DMD are spaced 30 miles or so. Can you ride 60 between breaks during training rides? How 'bout 90? That may save you 10-20 minutes and you still get a couple breaks if your body needs'em. Experiment a little, personally I'd be so elated about a PR under those conditions I don't think I'd change a thing but I do admire your eagerness to push the envelope.

Speaking of calories and pushing the body to extremes. There was a book I read last year by the gentleman who made the 1st succesful crossing of Antartica. Because of the limited weight and space as well as the extreme temperatures the body burns incredible amounts of calories just staying warm. The dogs were fed meat for protein as well as lard, the men consumed lard as their primary food source with vitamin supplements. It was chosen because it had the highest calorie/density-volume of any known food source. Disgusting but true.

Ride on! :banana: :banana: :banana:

jeffg
05-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Too Tall, BigMac --

I know I don't need to eat that much -- I just see some of these folks hardly eating anything. Given that the fastest time on this year's DMD was 12:57 (I was just in top 20 about 2:30 back -- slow and steady finishes at least ;), there are some serious calories to be burned here.

Camelback: I should probably use one, but I have to say I'm with BigMac on this one. I bring one on training rides when route is very remote and/or heat is a major factor.

I also read the right combo of fats before a ride/race can improve endurance performance quite a bit -- I will try and find the article.

BigMac: I am probably obsessing a bit, but we do work hard for these rides and losing time not riding seems a shame. My body needs rest only in case of foot cramps (rare now that I have orthodics), or if I happen to hit the wall and really need some food. Your breakfast routine sounds smart. I am generally nervous before a ride and probably don't eat enough. On the TT, with the heat (if like last year with 118 on Skaggs), it's just a struggle to keep enough water and get anything down until you reach the coast.

This is probably too much of a reach, but I really want to break 13 hours at the Terrible Two in Santa Rosa on June 19th. We'll see.

best,

Jeff

BTW, Too Tall: Why not do a DC in CA? I am flying out from NYC, after all! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Too Tall
05-11-2004, 12:55 PM
You are riding fast chief, adding some refined nutrition strategies to your arsenal will be fun to watch.

D@@d! I fly out to CA to ride across the USA. Not for a Dbl. century ;)

Before you discount the camelback, re-read my fuel strategy for doing a double out of pocket. It is a timesaving hat trick otherwise I agree it is not required for a supported event. It's kinda geeky but saving 4-5 mins 4 or 5 times amts. to something.

Too Tall
05-12-2004, 05:48 AM
http://www.fitnesslogs.com/calories3.htm