PDA

View Full Version : Remove rear wheel in field (disc/thru axle)

pdmtong
10-02-2019, 06:09 PM
Any tips and tricks you guys like for pulling the wheel off and putting it back on in the field? Use the same approach as with a QR? mainly trying to avoid defaulting to flipping bike upside down and scratching up my hoods and saddle. If this was my mtb wouldn't be as deliberate.

oldpotatoe
10-02-2019, 06:14 PM
Any tips and tricks you guys like for pulling the wheel off and putting it back on in the field? Use the same approach as with a QR? mainly trying to avoid defaulting to flipping bike upside down and scratching up my hoods and saddle. If this was my mtb wouldn't be as deliberate.

Frame should have recessed area in dropouts so just a matter of getting the rotor in the caliper and axle ends in recessed places and axle thru hub. Just remember to not depress brake lever with no rotor in there..you can push the pistons out and have a large leak..and no ride.

nublar
10-02-2019, 06:14 PM
http://share.gifyoutube.com/vVAYk8.gif

joosttx
10-02-2019, 06:23 PM
I would shift the chain into the smallest cog.
Get behind the wheel putting each hand on one side of the dropout junction
unscrew the thruaxle, removing it.
lift the frame to release the wheel.

pdmtong
10-02-2019, 06:39 PM

thanks...this is actually what I do with a rim brake/QR...I pull the QR off and it makes things so much easier not having to dance the QR around the chain

Mike Bryant
10-03-2019, 08:43 PM
thanks...this is actually what I do with a rim brake/QR...I pull the QR off and it makes things so much easier not having to dance the QR around the chain

But the quick release staying altogether with the wheel is one of the beautiful functions of it.
Just don’t drop and lose the end nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spdntrxi
10-03-2019, 09:03 PM

yep... I can exactly get a TA wheel in the right place faster than a QR wheel.. the only thing that takes me longer is the actual unscrewing of the TA.