PDA

View Full Version : Another fair price question

sjbraun
10-02-2019, 05:44 PM
I may regret this, but I'm considering selling My Hampsten Strada Bianca. Its a great riding bike, easily comparable to the Pegoretti Marcello I used to own. My riding is changing and while the Hampsten will easily clear 32mm tires, I now find myself wanting more tire clearance. The bike has been ridden and could use a new paint job and full disclosure reveals a VERY small ding in the top tube.
Is $1400 too much to ask?
Or $2,000 for the complete bike as built?

Columbus Pego-Richie tubing

TT 57cm

Wound Up carbon fork

Drive train
Centaur 10 speed shifters, the ones that allow you to dump multiple gears
Veloce FD
Centaur Long cage RD
Centaur silver crankset, 172.5mm, 50x24
Campy Cassette 12-28
KMC chain
Velo Orange Gran Cru brakes
Ultegra seatpost
Richey stem- 12cm
Deda bars, 42cm
Ultegra pedals
No saddle
Wheels-
C4 hubs
Kinlin XR-22 silver rims, 28 hole
CX-ray spokes, red brass nipples
Far and Near QRs, red (to match the nipples)
Schwalbe Race 1 tires, 28mm

Thanks for your thoughts

John H.
10-02-2019, 05:49 PM
2k is a pretty big ask in this day and age and market-
It is a nice bike for you- and still a good bike to ride.

Biggest things that hurt it are the ding in the top tube, older 10 speed parts and rim brakes.

I know there are people who like older 10 speed gear and rim brakes- But those people are usually not looking to pay much to get them.

If I were selling I would price at about $1000.

prototoast
10-02-2019, 05:58 PM
A new Strada Bianca from Hampsten is $2700, custom made to the buyer's own specifications. To buy yours for $1400, plus the cost of stripping, repainting, and rebuilding would easily put someone over $2000 just to end up with a bike that wasn't even built to the buyer's specs.

Based on your description, I'd say you'd be lucky to get $1000 complete, or $600 for the frameset.

quickfeet
10-02-2019, 09:30 PM
It is for sure a buyers market for anything rim brake road at the moment. My personal hoard is skyrocketing with items I could never had afforded just 3 years ago.

commandcomm
10-02-2019, 10:27 PM
I have a Waterford made lugged Rim brake bike that I was thinking of selling to get another bike. I usually sell a bike to buy one. However, looking at the current market prices, I would take too much of a hit on price and might as well keep it.

Regarding pricing. Put it out there for what you want and the market will quickly tell if you have it priced too high or too low.

prototoast
10-02-2019, 10:36 PM
It is for sure a buyers market for anything rim brake road at the moment.

If this guy can get 25% of what he paid for a 15 year old bike with bad paint and a dented top tube, that sure sounds like a damn good deal from a seller's perspective to me.

pdmtong
10-02-2019, 11:23 PM
Sorry to also hold up the mirror.

The build kit - components and cockpit are unremarkable as are the wheels

A steel frame custom to you with a small dent and in need of repaint? I wouldn't look at it at all.

Point is, if you want it gone, you need to price it so it will be gone.

$1400/2,000 nope.

otherwise, keep it and don't sweat it.