PDA

View Full Version : jersey pocket sweat/humidity build up: "waterproof" iphone in a case

pdmtong
10-02-2019, 10:35 AM
For the people with "waterproof" iphones that you've "protected" with a case (speck, spigen, etc...).

have you noticed any moisture build up between the phone and the case after a ride? particularly when its in your jersey pocket underneath a jacket?

my about to be replaced iphone isn't water proof, so its naked inside a timbuktu case.

I realize a "waterproof" iphone doesnt need any cycling moisture protection but wondering if sweat/humidity buildup between the phone and case is something to note. also, the idea of riding around with a $$$$ phone in my pocket with no case doesnt seem smart. am I back to a ziploc despite the phone being "waterproof"?

i'll probably buy the $199 apple care too just because the glass back if cracked requires a phone replace to fix (was told $549...)

Blue Jays
10-02-2019, 10:45 AM
My phone resides in a LifeProof case.
This is then inserted into either a padded GoreTex sleeve or into a padded Silca zippered case.

My sense is it is part of my "sporting equipment" and tend not to worry.
I do have AppleCare on most of my Apple devices should things go sideways.

Lewis Moon
10-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Ziplock.

stien
10-02-2019, 10:54 AM
I also use a life proof case. It's extremely well sealed and pretty immune to drops as well. I ride with the screen against my back in case anything happens. Never had anything get inside the case. Their warranty is also pretty liberal. As in Oprah style:You get a new case....You get a new case!

RKW
10-02-2019, 10:58 AM
Call it a habit, but I've always put my phone in a snack-sized ziploc bag.

Ozz
10-02-2019, 10:59 AM
call it a habit, but i've always put my phone in a snack-sized ziploc bag.

+1

Messes up the facial recognition, but I can still use the touch screen

bart998
10-02-2019, 11:01 AM
I carry the Timbuk2 Iphone wallet. Keeps my phone, as well as a few bucks, I.D., and atm card nice and dry. https://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/11/12/another-iphone-wallet-case/

azrider
10-02-2019, 11:10 AM
freezer ziplock in quart size ;)

veggieburger
10-02-2019, 11:11 AM
Call it a habit, but I've always put my phone in a snack-sized ziploc bag.

Me too. Makes my back sweat though.

m_moses
10-02-2019, 01:41 PM
I just put my phone in my jersey pocket because I like to be able to get to it quickly if I want to take a photo.

I usually put it in there with the screen against my back but that causes inadvertent dialing when my jersey is damp with sweat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chiasticon
10-02-2019, 02:07 PM
I have a "waterproof" iPhone but I still use a case (Rapha waterproof essentials case). I'd rather be safe than sorry should I get caught out in a rainstorm. plus the case has compartments for storing other items it's nice to have along (house key, cash, ID, etc).

ojingoh
10-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Sandwich bag

jischr
10-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Zip lock bag. Easy to use, cheap to replace, touch screen and swiping still work.

dimitris77
10-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Another vote for zip log bag

joosttx
10-02-2019, 04:48 PM
I have never put my iphone in anything but the jersey pocket for years and have never had an issue. My caveat is if it is raining I will put it in a ziplock bag.

makoti
10-02-2019, 05:01 PM
I have a Rapha plastic sleeve case that I don't know where I got it. Maybe an add on to an order, but the thing is great. The plastic is a bit textured so you can easily use the touch screen on the phone. I don't see them for sale, or I'd grab another.

pdmtong
10-02-2019, 05:17 PM
I have never put my iphone in anything but the jersey pocket for years and have never had an issue. My caveat is if it is raining I will put it in a ziplock bag.
I would tend to do this as well BUT I am wondering if the phone is in a plastic case if there is any sweat/humidity build up between the case and the phone to be concerned with. and yes if raining why tempt fate - zip loc for sure.

Andy sti
10-02-2019, 09:04 PM
I have a Lifeproof case and it works perfectly. Never worry about my phone and I’ve even dropped it while riding. No need for a bag.

joosttx
10-02-2019, 09:25 PM
I would tend to do this as well BUT I am wondering if the phone is in a plastic case if there is any sweat/humidity build up between the case and the phone to be concerned with. and yes if raining why tempt fate - zip loc for sure.

I have the standard silicone case. No issues.

54ny77
10-02-2019, 09:29 PM
i have a very inexpensive waterproof and weatherproof solution that runs maybe a penny or so: a ziplock bag.

:cool:

pdmtong
10-02-2019, 10:28 PM
Yes the iPhone 5 I paid $199 for is not the iPhone 11 pro 256 i am about to buy tomorrow welcome to 2019

sitzmark
10-02-2019, 10:28 PM

Playproof case (rhonoshield) on my iP7 - one of the original "11 foot drop" cases. Have slid the phone/case into my center jersey pocket for 3 years now without any issues - including rain riding. Initially rode with screen to my back for more screen protection, but perspiration did build up on the screen. Case fit is very snug but figured water vapor was more likely to penetrate the seam around the face more than around the smaller camera opening on the back. Still in like new condition front/back. Holding out for a smaller phone before upgrading but looks like not gonna happen.

pdmtong
10-02-2019, 10:41 PM
Playproof case (rhonoshield) on my iP7 - one of the original "11 foot drop" cases. Have slid the phone/case into my center jersey pocket for 3 years now without any issues - including rain riding. Initially rode with screen to my back for more screen protection, but perspiration did build up on the screen. Case fit is very snug but figured water vapor was more likely to penetrate the seam around the face more than around the smaller camera opening on the back. Still in like new condition front/back. Holding out for a smaller phone before upgrading but looks like not gonna happen.

this is the type of feedback was interested in. thank you.

I too prefer a "smaller" phone but at this point the best we all can do with apple is a 5.8" diagonal. and, I am becoming more ok with the price since this essentially will eliminate the canon PnS I typically have ad hold me over until the bag of money for a leica Q shows up (if ever)

Ronsonic
10-02-2019, 10:58 PM
freezer ziplock in quart size ;)

This. Along with the $$ and / or cards necessary.

CAAD
10-03-2019, 04:27 AM
I like the bontrager ride wallet. Fits my Samsung s8 active. Durable and has a sleeve for credit cards inside.

VTCaraco
10-03-2019, 05:02 AM
I've struggled with the same...
Picked up a jersey wallet, but that was subject to condensation/moisture build up from sweat.
Had a goretex pouch that came with some motorcycle gear that I had and started using that. That held up for a little while, but I've had condensation with that lately, too.
I used to do the ziplock and have been thinking I'd go back to it.

I DO have a newer phone that has a waterproof rating, but I'd rather not have it subject to that sort of condensation. Even if it's not being damaged, per se, it's kind of gross (as it's typically from perspiration).

Maybe the baggy is the best, albeit an inelegant, solution.

charliedid
10-03-2019, 06:42 AM
I use a Bellroy ride wallet (as my always wallet) and combined with my iPhone Xs and leather case it provides super protection without completely sealing it off in an airtight environment that seems a little weird to me.

I usually have it in a bag but will ride with it in a jersey. I just wipe it down every so often with a wet cloth.

Like everyone else I used zip lock bags for decades. Until I got a phone.

AngryScientist
10-03-2019, 06:46 AM
i've had the same iPhone 7 for years now, the first model with the waterproof rating.

it's in a thin snap on moshi case that looks like below. straight into the rear jersey pocket for years now, in every type of weather. i love being able to pull it straight out to make a call, look at the map or snap a pic. zero issues with moisture.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81YlyI2UC2L._SX569_.jpg

happycampyer
10-03-2019, 07:06 AM
I have the standard silicone case. No issues.

This is what I use too, with no issues with an iPhone X. The phone back is against my body.

Veloo
10-03-2019, 07:52 AM
My 5S is in a Quadlock case. I put it in my jersey pocket with case facing the body so it keeps the phone from making contact. No issues at all with moisture.
I even stopped using a screen protector cuz they just bubble, loosen or get dirty and it gets really annoying.

I may ride with one of those tool bottles and I carry a small Green Guru bag for change so I figure if I get caught in rain, the phone can go into one of those two for shelter.

ghammer
10-03-2019, 08:29 AM
I too sweat a lot, and find that pricey alternatives defeat the purpose. Recently I discovered this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092S5G6E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a set of 30+ and gave some away to friends. Best investment ever.

johnniecakes
10-03-2019, 06:31 PM
I have my iphone 7 in an otterbox case for drop protection, it does nothing to protect from moisture. The question I have is does putting an iphone in a ziplock bag in anyway affect the gps or bluetooth signals?

charliedid
10-03-2019, 08:25 PM
I have my iphone 7 in an otterbox case for drop protection, it does nothing to protect from moisture. The question I have is does putting an iphone in a ziplock bag in anyway affect the gps or bluetooth signals?

I don't think it does.

That said, one of the reasons I don't put my phone in a plastic bag is because if I stick my sweaty hand into it to use the phone or grab money or whatever I just added sweat to the inside of the bag where my phone lives. I'd rather not do that. I'm not saying it will kill a phone but I don't like the idea.

Cbh
10-03-2019, 11:07 PM
I use the Rapha essentials case and it works well for me. I am in Texas so it withstands a bunch of sweat in my jersey pocket and keeps my phone, keys, credit card/money dry. Come sin regular and large to accommodate a range of phone sizes.

CunegoFan
10-07-2019, 10:41 PM
I too sweat a lot, and find that pricey alternatives defeat the purpose. Recently I discovered this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092S5G6E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a set of 30+ and gave some away to friends. Best investment ever.

Thanks for this. I just upgraded to an iPhone 11 and sandwich zip bag are too small. The phone may be water proof (resistant) but I am not too sure about sweat proof.