PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo Bolt with Garmin Varia 510: First Ride

metalheart
10-01-2019, 06:55 PM
Some time ago I was on a group ride in back of a fellow with the first generation Garmin Varia radar unit. Each time the light on his unit went on I checked my mirror for traffic and found the combination of the radar notification and the mirror useful.

After Wahoo implemented support for the Garmin Varia, I bought the newer 510 Garmin unit and paired it with m Wahoo Bolt and went for a ride today. The combination let me know when traffic was behind me well in advance of when I would normally notice it. The LED's on the top of the Bolt would turn orange when a car was first detected, then red when the vehicle was closer, and finally green when it passed. A couple of times I also heard it "beep", but the combination of wind noise and my issues in hearing high frequency beeps made that feature mostly useless.

In bright sunlight, the orange LED's were hard to see, but the red ones were better. The vehicle icon on the Bolt display was helpful to show approaching vehicles, but when I saw the orange/red light I looked in my mirror to check the vehicle's trajectory. For my riding -- 80% solo rides on lots of country roads -- the combination of the Varia/Bolt and a mirror seem to work well.

i wish I could hear the beep. A heads-up display would be ideal. I might spring for a larger unity like the Roam or Elemnt in hopes the LED's might be more visible and attention-getting, but as is the Bolt/Varia should improve my situational awareness.

R3awak3n
10-01-2019, 09:20 PM
I just bought a garmin 830. Never considered a wahoo because I love the varia, its a must for me (I ride by myself a lot). Good to know it now works on the wahoo. Maybe it will be finally time to try a wahoo after my 830 kicks the bucket. I do really like the 830 though, its been great so far.

smontanaro
10-02-2019, 07:05 AM
I read an article about the Wahoo+Varia combination (maybe it was from Wahoo). It wasn't clear to me which Varia models worked with the Wahoo. Do all work with the Wahoo devices?

glepore
10-02-2019, 07:43 AM
I read an article about the Wahoo+Varia combination (maybe it was from Wahoo). It wasn't clear to me which Varia models worked with the Wahoo. Do all work with the Wahoo devices?

The radars do. Not sure about light control.

The beep is loud enough for most...I can hear it while listening to podcasts. You can adjust alert volume in the app.

I was a skeptic but love this thing, best part is it indicates multiple vehicles and relative spacing, and alerts usually before you can hear a car. Knowing whether its one or three cars is really nice.

R3awak3n
10-02-2019, 08:29 AM

The beep is loud enough for most...I can hear it while listening to podcasts. You can adjust alert volume in the app.

I was a skeptic but love this thing, best part is it indicates multiple vehicles and relative spacing, and alerts usually before you can hear a car. Knowing whether its one or three cars is really nice.

I have been saying it for a while. One of the best cycling things I ever bought. Its impressive how it can detect 2, 3 cars

Lewis Moon
10-02-2019, 08:46 AM
On my Christmas list.
This just seems to be a no brainer.

Lewis Moon
10-02-2019, 09:06 AM
PS: Is it distracting in high traffic areas? I ride in downtown Phoenix for my commute and get passed by a lot of cars.

cash05458
10-02-2019, 09:20 AM
I think the idea that these units can tell you about cars coming behind is great...tech question tho? Does the bolt or the garmin do that on it's own or need to be paired with a smart phone to make that happen?

weiwentg
10-02-2019, 09:29 AM
...Not sure about light control.

Wahoo hasn't yet implemented the ANT+ light protocols. Shane Miller (aka GPLama, a frequent commenter on power meters) said his impression was that it wasn't that simple to implement.

ANT+ lighting protocols may be on Wahoo's list of things to do. However, in a comment (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/hands-on-wahoo-adds-radar-support-for-elemnt-bolt-roam-confirms-trainerroad-connectivity.html#comment-3300986) on DC Rainmaker's site, they indicated that that they weren't sure when it would be implemented (see comments #81-84 in the link). They're aware that a number of people actively expressed interest in this.

KarlC
10-02-2019, 09:39 AM

I have been saying it for a while. One of the best cycling things I ever bought. Its impressive how it can detect 2, 3 cars

The concept sounds good, to know if a car is coming, but Im not getting how that really helps. How is it beneficial ?

Its not like its going to help prevent from any close calls or getting hit by a car right ?

metalheart
10-02-2019, 10:49 AM
The concept sounds good, to know if a car is coming, but Im not getting how that really helps. How is it beneficial ?

Its not like its going to help prevent from any close calls or getting hit by a car right ?

In general, when I know a car is behind I use my mirror to take stock of vehicle behavior and trajectory. It may not prevent getting hit, but I can usually assess the need to take any action because of the vehicle's trajectory. A specific reason is knowing about what is behind is on lower traffic roads where I here take the lane to stay out of debris that often accumulates near the road edge. This is especially useful for me on descents where the middle of the road is often smoother and has less debris. In these circumstances it helps to know when to look in the mirror to see what is behind and the radar alerts me when to look.

glepore
10-02-2019, 12:35 PM

No. But knowing when a car is there enables you to get as close to road edge as you can, making it safer for you and less frustrating for the car. Its not going to save you from a distracted driver.

cash05458
10-02-2019, 12:41 PM
so again...does the unit do it itself or does it need to be paired with a smart phone...just curious as I dont use cell/smart phones...cheap like that...

teleguy57
10-02-2019, 12:47 PM
In the Garmin head unit world the Varia Radar connects directly via BT. No phone needed.

And I'm a huge fan of my Varia. I couple it with an Italian Road bar end mirror; when I get a ping I can easily look back as well as seeing number of vehicles, speed etc on the display. Often surprised at how far back vehicles are when the Varia picks them up.

cash05458
10-02-2019, 12:50 PM
cool ...thanks...

kramnnim
10-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Bolt does work with the older Radar.

The Radar isn’t really that useful and can be annoying if there’s a constant stream of cars passing you. Great on rural roads.

glepore
10-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Just a minor point, the radar connects via ant. The protocol is open, so in theory any maker can implement it on their headunit.

R3awak3n
10-02-2019, 03:37 PM
Bolt does work with the older Radar.

The Radar isn’t really that useful and can be annoying if there’s a constant stream of cars passing you. Great on rural roads.

yes. useless and annoying in a major city.

Also nice that there is a nice blinker that starts blinking more when there are cars (as far as I understand, never been behind one). I have got cars that slowed down to tell me how easily they saw me because of the light. Tail lights at all times when ridding is where its at.

teleguy57
10-02-2019, 03:57 PM
Just a minor point, the radar connects via ant. The protocol is open, so in theory any maker can implement it on their headunit.

Ah, yes... my bad on thinking it was BT. Still a direct connection with the head unit regardless.

mcteague
10-03-2019, 07:15 AM
Count me in the camp that just does not get the advantage of this. On busy roads I know there will be cars behind me. On quieter roads, I almost always hear a car long before it gets next to me. Even knowing this, what am I supposed to do? Does knowing a car is behind cause me to ride differently? Maybe I scooch over a bit more but, hearing the car, I generally do that anyway. Do you guys hear the beep and then ride into a ditch to avoid the car? I just don't get it.

Tim

madsciencenow
10-03-2019, 07:35 AM
Count me in the camp that just does not get the advantage of this. On busy roads I know there will be cars behind me. On quieter roads, I almost always hear a car long before it gets next to me. Even knowing this, what am I supposed to do? Does knowing a car is behind cause me to ride differently? Maybe I scooch over a bit more but, hearing the car, I generally do that anyway. Do you guys hear the beep and then ride into a ditch to avoid the car? I just don't get it.

Tim

My personal experience is as follows with regard to your question. If I'm on a busy road I can use the Varia 510 and display on my head unit to see approximately where cars are at behind me. If there is a nasty patch of road or a pothole that I'm looking to not go through I can time when I move six inches toward traffic or not. In addition, If I need to make a turn it's helpful knowing how close a car is behind me and how many there are.

On rural roads the value is that I will often ride toward the middle of my lane to avoid the rougher patches of road on the edges or where cars typically drive. If I hear a beep I move more toward the shoulder and "share the road".

One more point is that on busy or semi-busy roads cars will slow and wait for a clear section of road to pass. It's really nice to know when they make this decision so I can try to reciprocate their patience by being over enough to make the pass easier.

I take your point that it's a bit challenging to really understand how this works until you've actually used it. I had the earlier version for a couple years and then ended up with a Wahoo when my edge 1000 broke so I sold the first Varia. I really missed having the beep and display on my screen but it wasn't impossible to ride or anything like that. When I got fed up with my Wahoo's inability to route me to where I wanted to go I picked up an edge 1030 and went back to the Varia 510. Personally, it's helpful to keep me aware of what's behind me and the brighter light on the 510 is nice as well. I was riding with two individuals who both have a Varia, one the old version and one the 510. They were up the road about 1/2-3/4 of a mile and I could see the 510 while the older version was barely visible (this was during the day).

Anyway, YMMV but I thought it would be worth sharing my experience.

kramnnim
10-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Radar beeps a couple seconds before the car can be heard. More if it's noisy due to wind, etc.

R3awak3n
10-04-2019, 05:06 AM

Tim

You dont always hear cars. There is wind, some cara are ver quite. You just have to try it. Of course its not going to be for everyone. I was a naysayer too and now will not ride without it

Also the radar tell you if car is going very fast. Starts blinking red, I always take extra care with those cars. Move over wven more and look back to make sure they actually see me

mtb_frk
10-04-2019, 05:21 AM
I really like that it shows multiple cars also. My usual assumption is if there is one car passing me there will be more. But to know for sure is nice. I only ride gravel, so I don’t get passed by too much traffic. But cars usually seem to clump up and before having the radar and only relying on my hearing has surprised by me more than a few times.

superbowlpats
10-04-2019, 05:40 AM
My personal experience is as follows with regard to your question. If I'm on a busy road I can use the Varia 510 and display on my head unit to see approximately where cars are at behind me. If there is a nasty patch of road or a pothole that I'm looking to not go through I can time when I move six inches toward traffic or not. In addition, If I need to make a turn it's helpful knowing how close a car is behind me and how many there are.

On rural roads the value is that I will often ride toward the middle of my lane to avoid the rougher patches of road on the edges or where cars typically drive. If I hear a beep I move more toward the shoulder and "share the road".

One more point is that on busy or semi-busy roads cars will slow and wait for a clear section of road to pass. It's really nice to know when they make this decision so I can try to reciprocate their patience by being over enough to make the pass easier.

I take your point that it's a bit challenging to really understand how this works until you've actually used it. I had the earlier version for a couple years and then ended up with a Wahoo when my edge 1000 broke so I sold the first Varia. I really missed having the beep and display on my screen but it wasn't impossible to ride or anything like that. When I got fed up with my Wahoo's inability to route me to where I wanted to go I picked up an edge 1030 and went back to the Varia 510. Personally, it's helpful to keep me aware of what's behind me and the brighter light on the 510 is nice as well. I was riding with two individuals who both have a Varia, one the old version and one the 510. They were up the road about 1/2-3/4 of a mile and I could see the 510 while the older version was barely visible (this was during the day).

Anyway, YMMV but I thought it would be worth sharing my experience.

I think Madscience sums it up really well. Last night it was windy and I couldnt hear a car until it was just passing me. but i knew it was there because of the Varia. The added SA is priceless imho, best $200 i have ever spent on a bike purchase.

R3awak3n
10-04-2019, 05:59 AM
And it has got a nice light to boot. They go for $150 on sale, a nice light is $50 so for $100 you get something that adds a ton of safety to your rides.

kohagen
10-04-2019, 06:18 AM

Tim

On my way home on some of my rides, I’m on Vermont Route 4, the main east-west state highway in south central Vermont. I need to make a left turn from a left turn lane while going downhill at about 35 mph, with cars traveling around 50. Having the Varia gives me more traffic info so I know when I can safely get into the turn lane. Otherwise, I’m concerned that I’ve not seen one of multiple cars.

It also affects how I ride on rural roads. With the freeze/thaw cycles here, the roads can be somewhat lumpy, and the shoulders can get eroded a bit. The Varia gives me the ability to pick the best line, knowing I have plenty of time to move to the side of the road when a car approaches.

And I appreciate the high powered taillight. I set it to flash during the day, which makes me more visible to drivers, regardless of what color jersey I’m wearing.

glepore
10-04-2019, 07:18 AM
All of the above.

I'll add that I have limited neck mobility due to an old serious injury. It is VERY nice to not have to look back every time I want to take the lane, whether for debris, speed on a descent, or left turns.

And for those that listen to stuff (not that I'm advocating it, but I do listen to podcasts) its even more helpful.

eddief
10-04-2019, 07:34 AM
would the radar work fine mounted to the back of my helmet?

madsciencenow
10-04-2019, 07:58 AM

really good question and I'm not sure because I've not tried it. Any chance you can fit it between the seat stays and the just below the post collar?

How would you mount it to your helmet? If you don't get an answer I can give this a go and see if it works. You may get some false positives if you move your head to the side etc.

teleguy57
10-04-2019, 08:11 AM

I've found that false positives increase if I'm not generally pointed back down the road, and I'd be concerned with the amount of movement on the helmet.

I have mine mounted to the NDS seatstay using a cygolight bracket and shapeways adapter. (sorry I don't have a pic with the bracket showing more clearly). I started with the OEM mount at the junction of the ST and SSs, but that was marginal.

The mount is OK but I'm open to a better option that could get the light/radar a bit higher. My LBS mechanic worked for a number of US-based pro teams so I've got him noodling on something creative.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48543678587_62bb7ed7e9_k_d.jpg

smontanaro
10-04-2019, 08:16 AM
I have several bikes and already have a helmet-mounted light, so easily moving the Varia would be nice. I am able to move my Wahoo mounts easily (I have two Garmin mounts which attach using silicone o-rings and a Garmin-to-Wahoo adapter). Something similar for the Varia would be great.

eddief
10-04-2019, 08:19 AM
https://magicshine.us/product/helmet-mount-allty-300500/

really good question and I'm not sure because I've not tried it. Any chance you can fit it between the seat stays and the just below the post collar?

How would you mount it to your helmet? If you don't get an answer I can give this a go and see if it works. You may get some false positives if you move your head to the side etc.

eddief
10-04-2019, 08:31 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin%EF%BC%8C-Rtl510-Mount%EF%BC%8C-Seatpost-Saddle/dp/B07NTZ6HWK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=corki+Varia+Mount+for+Garmin&qid=1570195850&sr=8-4

Davist
10-04-2019, 08:37 AM
I mount mine on a Fizik saddle with a shapeways adapter, works really well for me. link below if you wish to take a look.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N95UNJGSF/garmin-quarter-turn-arm-for-fizik-mount-system

kohagen
10-04-2019, 01:05 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin%EF%BC%8C-Rtl510-Mount%EF%BC%8C-Seatpost-Saddle/dp/B07NTZ6HWK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=corki+Varia+Mount+for+Garmin&qid=1570195850&sr=8-4

It looks like this mount could take up space the OP might want to use for a saddle bag.

smontanaro
10-06-2019, 06:38 AM
This thread has me very curious about the potential of a radar setup. I've never looked at them before, however. Why does this unit (image nicked from eBay) have two major components? Is one a head unit in case you don't have something like a Garmin or Wahoo cycle computer?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333348184344?ul_noapp=true

R3awak3n
10-06-2019, 06:40 AM
This thread has me very curious about the potential of a radar setup. I've never looked at them before, however. Why does this unit (image nicked from eBay) have two major components? Is one a head unit in case you don't have something like a Garmin or Wahoo cycle computer?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333348184344?ul_noapp=true

Thats exactly correct. You can run the radar without a garmin or wahoo unit.

kohagen
10-06-2019, 10:19 AM
Thats exactly correct. You can run the radar without a garmin or wahoo unit.

You can buy just the rear facing radar if you have a compatible bike computer, or both components if you don’t.

metalheart
10-06-2019, 02:42 PM
OP here, I have been riding with the Varia/Bolt combination this week and it has some issues for me, specifically the volume of the beep as implemented on the Bolt. With any wind noise, I cannot hear it beep.

Today I rode with a friend and we paired his Garmin 510 with the Varia and he had no issues hearing the beep. He was sold on riding with the Varia after today's ride while I am still on the fence about keeping it.

I called Wahoo support about the beep volume (which cannot be adjusted on the Bolt but it can be on the Roam and I'm not sure about the Element) and they indicated that it is a firmware issue and that in the past they have received comments that the beep is either too loud or too soft, so it is what it is for now.

I may try to compare the beeps on the Roam and Bolt and see if there is any difference......

kohagen
10-06-2019, 04:20 PM
OP here, I have been riding with the Varia/Bolt combination this week and it has some issues for me, specifically the volume of the beep as implemented on the Bolt. With any wind noise, I cannot hear it beep.

Today I rode with a friend and we paired his Garmin 510 with the Varia and he had no issues hearing the beep. He was sold on riding with the Varia after today's ride while I am still on the fence about keeping it.

I called Wahoo support about the beep volume (which cannot be adjusted on the Bolt but it can be on the Roam and I'm not sure about the Element) and they indicated that it is a firmware issue and that in the past they have received comments that the beep is either too loud or too soft, so it is what it is for now.

I may try to compare the beeps on the Roam and Bolt and see if there is any difference......

I realize YMMV, but I don’t have an issue with the volume. It would be nice if there were a way to adjust the volume through the app.

metalheart
10-06-2019, 04:29 PM
The volume issue is clearly mine as I have compromised hearing and on today's ride my friends ability to hear the beeps on his Garmin illustrated that for me. He had no issues I did. I am sure that for the majority of Bolt/Varia users the beep is not an issue, but for aging ears, it can be.

kramnnim
10-06-2019, 09:35 PM
Weird, I thought the Bolt beeping was a bit too loud compared to my 1030.