PDA

View Full Version : Convert to hydraulic disc

Schmed
09-30-2019, 08:29 PM
I'm tired of my BB7 brakes on my gravel bike. Currently Sram derailleur. 1x10. Thinking of upgrading to hydraulic.

What would you do?

- electronic shifting while I'm at it?
- switch to Shimano?

I haven't really paid attention to cycling technology lately, so I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Bike is Indy Fab Planet-X. Bike is worthy of upgrade. Rider? Not so much. Not looking to spend a fortune.

Gummee
09-30-2019, 08:52 PM
The answer to SRAM brake problems is always Shimano.

AFA the inexpensive way to upgrade: Juin Tech/Yokozuna mechanically actuated hydros are actually pretty good.

I'm pretty sure that there are more than a few folks running Di2 on off-road bikes with zero problems, but I'd rather replace a mechanical derailleur than a Di2 derailleur $$ wise. Old adage says 'if you go off-road, ya gotta pay to play.'

My $.02

M

sonicCows
09-30-2019, 09:14 PM

AFA the inexpensive way to upgrade: Juin Tech/Yokozuna mechanically actuated hydros are actually pretty good.
Just don't forget the compressionless housing...

vqdriver
09-30-2019, 09:33 PM

eh???
op is using avid brakes

whether sram or shimano is up to you how you like your levers. if you want to keep costs down, stick with mechanical shifting. fwiw, you're already 1x, you could just go sram force 1. easy entry into hydro with current crankset tho you'd have to change cassette/chain.
dunno if shimano has a road 10sp hydro option

xeladragon
09-30-2019, 09:46 PM

OP, if you wanna try the Juin Tech brakes, I'll have a barely used pair (post mount, upgraded to SwissStop pads) for sale shortly. Nothing wrong with them... I just prefer full hydro. PM me if you're interested.

R3awak3n
10-01-2019, 06:13 AM
go hydraulic and be done with it. sram etap or axs will be super nice and work fantastic.

I just set up force 1x and also have etap hydraulic and they brake fantastic.

fmradio516
10-01-2019, 07:17 AM
Ill be selling a set of Sram Guide T brakes all set up and ready to go if you wanted to go that route.

edit: my mind is in mountain mode. COMPLETELY missed that you have a road setup. :)

Andy sti
10-01-2019, 09:35 AM
The “not looking to spend a fortune answer” is to buy a Force or Rival 1 shifter set with brakes and an 11 speed cassette and you’re done. Your 10 speed Sram RD will do 11 speed perfectly. Not sure if your rear wheel is 11 speed cassette capable though. If not you will need a freehub swap or a new hub/wheel.

NHAero
10-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Won't mountain 11 speed cassettes fit on 10 speed freehubs? I'm running Ultegra 11-34 and XT 11-40 cassettes on the White Industries 10s freehub on my Anderson.

The “not looking to spend a fortune answer” is to buy a Force or Rival 1 shifter set with brakes and an 11 speed cassette and you’re done. Your 10 speed Sram RD will do 11 speed perfectly. Not sure if your rear wheel is 11 speed cassette capable though. If not you will need a freehub swap or a new hub/wheel.

shoota
10-01-2019, 10:17 AM
The "not spend a fortune" answer is to just replace the calipers with better ones. Done. Easy.

cp43
10-01-2019, 10:51 AM
The "not spend a fortune" answer is to just replace the calipers with better ones. Done. Easy.

Do you have a recommendation for better ones?

I have TRP Spyres on my gravel bike. I'm not thrilled with them. I ran BB7s on my previous gravel bike, also wasn't super happy.

I'm thinking about the Paul Klamper.

Thanks,

Chris

R3awak3n
10-01-2019, 11:02 AM
spyres are garbage... BB7s are garbage. Pauls... I never tried them but aren't they $300? you can get hydro for that and you will be better served...

unless you have a travel bike, no reason to be on cable discs (unless $$$ which I totally understand but then Pauls will not be in the budget).

shoota
10-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Do you have a recommendation for better ones?

I have TRP Spyres on my gravel bike. I'm not thrilled with them. I ran BB7s on my previous gravel bike, also wasn't super happy.

I'm thinking about the Paul Klamper.

Thanks,

Chris

We’ve had good luck with Hayes CX calipers around here. You might look into those.

foo_fighter
10-01-2019, 11:45 AM
TRP HyRD >>> Spyres. Those Juintechs might be nice too.

cp43
10-01-2019, 12:36 PM
spyres are garbage... BB7s are garbage. Pauls... I never tried them but aren't they $300? you can get hydro for that and you will be better served...

unless you have a travel bike, no reason to be on cable discs (unless $$$ which I totally understand but then Pauls will not be in the budget).

We’ve had good luck with Hayes CX calipers around here. You might look into those.

The Paul's are expensive, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I'm on cable disc because no one makes a triple left shifter for hydraulics.

I'll check out the Hayes.

Thanks,

Chris

vqdriver
10-01-2019, 12:44 PM
you're just going in circles with different iterations of mechanical disc.
for appreciable change, you have to change platforms. full hydro>mech hydro>mech
if you must use cable, try the trp or juintech, that'll get you an improvement over full mech, tho it doesn't compare to full hydro.
for the OP, you can use a shimano 11sp mtn cassette on the 10sp freehubs. going from bb7 to spyre or pauls isn't worth the effort or money

Schmed
10-01-2019, 09:22 PM
I think I'll go down the "Andy STI" route - grab some shifters/brakes and go with a 11 speed mountain cassette. I have a 10 speed mountain cassette on there now which works well for my 1x setup.

Agree with you vqdriver: Going with another cable-actuated brake setup seems like a band aid based on the reviews that I'm reading. I've used multiple branded hydraulic mtb brakes and are all working great.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

R3awak3n
10-01-2019, 09:28 PM
The Paul's are expensive, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I'm on cable disc because no one makes a triple left shifter for hydraulics.

I'll check out the Hayes.

Thanks,

Chris

thats very fair. Personally I would probably check out the juin techs instead as I have heard decent things about them. You could always also do TRP hydros with bar ends (but I am not a fan of bar ends so I would understand why someone would not want to do that)

Gummee
10-02-2019, 07:38 AM
thats very fair. Personally I would probably check out the juin techs instead as I have heard decent things about them. You could always also do TRP hydros with bar ends (but I am not a fan of bar ends so I would understand why someone would not want to do that)

TRP hydros have a spot in the body for Di2 shifter bits so you can always go that route

M

R3awak3n
10-02-2019, 08:30 AM
TRP hydros have a spot in the body for Di2 shifter bits so you can always go that route

M

and that as well which I always thought was pretty cool.

wallymann
10-02-2019, 09:14 AM
i'm in the process of changing over from BB7s to juin-tech X1s. that appeared to be a better option than TRP hy-rd to work with the braking pull of campy ergo 10 levers (no full hydro option).

i'll be using the same compression-resistant braided housing...we'll see how the braking compares.

benb
10-02-2019, 09:23 AM

Don't forget the answer to SRAM front derailleur shifting issues is always Shimano too!

Ignore that SRAM will try to sell you on no front derailleur at all of course. :banana: