PDA

View Full Version : remember the bike i asked you to helpme paint?

swoop
12-23-2006, 05:07 PM
well, i'll take some nice pics with a real camera and not my laptop soon...
the bike is perfect. i'll do a formal breakdown later.. just wanted y'all that helped .. have a look. it is the perfect crit bike (16lbs as is).
75 degree seat tube angle
6.5 bb drop
as stiff as they can make it (it is far more stiff than any bike i've been on.. including the canonndales we raced last year). it is a supremely nervous bike in the best way.... yet tracks dead on with your hands off.

i'm one lucky boy for seven and helen's to get behind me this year.
the color is bad in the photo.. it's a metalic green to match the shoulder panel in the seven kit.

i better get some decent results this year.. because i look like sucha wannabe 12k dreamer with stuff this pretty.

catulle
12-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Very nice. Congratulations. I like the green as it appears on my screen; it looks close to Bianchi celeste. Good luck and better health.

L84dinr
12-23-2006, 05:18 PM
I can't believe nobody caught the miss-spelled name on the seat tube...

Sven?

Hah, made you look.

actually my eyes are killing me lately and that is what i "saw" the first time I glanced at the pix. nice looking bike, man i drool over the Reynolds wheels.

af2004
12-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Damn hot bike.

Great colors.

But i think the Stem is a little bit to fat for the frame.

swoop
12-23-2006, 05:55 PM
um.... yeah... no the stem is perfect. big stiff stem means no flex in bars for sprint. but it looks wrong in the pic and better in tha' flesh.
(time carbon sans logo)

Ginger
12-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Ah...now those blue tires make sense...

Cary Ford
12-23-2006, 06:20 PM
That was fast, dude. I thought you weren't getitng the thing until Feb.

Looks nice. Meet you on the bridge when I get back home.

Zard
12-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Nice!

Also, tell us about your new wheels.

swoop
12-23-2006, 06:37 PM
That was fast, dude. I thought you weren't getitng the thing until Feb.

Looks nice. Meet you on the bridge when I get back home.

friggin Harm just nailed the geometry. it reads my mind, man.
yeah... bridge for sure. i'm sick.. too many suicidal patients in one week...
st johns rode it and he couldn't get it to flex.... (he is at lest 40lbs heavier than me). the workmanshipmakes me have religious feelings about the folks at seven. if people knew how good this bike was... they'd have one.

how's sante fe? stern will be there monday.... it's such a small town... you'll prolly cross paths...

swoop
12-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Nice!

Also, tell us about your new wheels.

i'll get into details when i post pics in the custom gallery. i think i'll be selling my cosmics. which is sort of like me selling what's left of my hair.. it's just something i'd never thought i'd do on purpose.

Zard
12-23-2006, 06:44 PM
i'll get into details when i post pics in the custom gallery. i think i'll be selling my cosmics. which is sort of like me selling what's left of my hair.. it's just something i'd never thought i'd do on purpose.

oh my!

Len J
12-23-2006, 06:48 PM
on the logic behind the 75 degree STA.....you sure you're not talking about HTA? I don't get the weight distribution this would create. Seems like all the weight would be forward. What don't I understand (I know...more than I think :D ) what size bike is it?

I love the look of the frame BTW...great job. Glad you love the ride too.

Len

swoop
12-23-2006, 06:55 PM
on the logic behind the 75 degree STA. I don't get the weight distribution this would create. Seems like all the weight would be forward. What don't I understand (I know...more than I think :D ) what size bike is it?

I love the look of the frame BTW...great job. Glad you love the ride too.

Len

you're already overthinking it. my femurs are short. seat tube angle is about leg length, crank length, and foot length. all of these levers tell you where you can out your buns on relationship to the bb in order to get to deliver your wattage and optimal cadence effectively.

in order to get myself exactly a hair just behind the spindle where i am most efficient.. and also to let me use the 172.5's i favor... i need a steeper seat tube angle.
front center, rear center.. wheelbase, fork rake.. all that stuff puts me in relationship to the wheels.

you can't just look at a guys waist size and tell him his suit doesn't make sense. his waist size is one thing, his inseam another, his chest and neck each another....

and so my femurs and feet and cranks all add up to 75 degrees being the correct answer.

it's like that.

bironi
12-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Very nice, and good luck on the season ahead. :beer:

Tailwinds
12-23-2006, 07:08 PM
I like!!! Enjoy!

Fivethumbs
12-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Awesome bike! Now when and where can I see this thing in action.

Len J
12-23-2006, 08:38 PM
it's just an unusual angle is all.

Thanks for the schooling teach !

Len

BoulderGeek
12-23-2006, 08:48 PM
That bike, and you in your kit, make me feel old and fat.

Perhaps it's also tonight's cabernet, and the filet mignon with bacon, brie and morels talking.

Regardless, that's pretty sweet. Best wishes for your season.

swoop
12-23-2006, 09:20 PM
i'm a almost 43 year-old aspiring manorexic. your way is better!
:beer:

Climb01742
12-24-2006, 05:37 AM
that's a racing machine, for sure. really nice. school me, please, on the bars. especially why the curve on the drops? ride fast, my boy.

soulspinner
12-24-2006, 05:55 AM
Wow. I want one in old guy parallel 73 angles and lots of bb drop. Keyboard cleanup to follow......who knew Pavlovs response could be to a bike..

stevep
12-24-2006, 06:21 AM
no triple crank this year swoop?

terry
12-24-2006, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=swoop]if people knew how good this bike was... they'd have one.

so true. many seem turned off by something or other re Seven but i think they are as good as any ti builder. i love painted ti and while it makes more sense to leave ti bare on my sola i keep thinking of painting it. this has me revisiting those thoughts again. great color scheme.

shralp
12-24-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm sure those aren't K-Wing bars because they're "the lamest bars ever made." (thread....FSA K-Wing (looking for opinions))

What are they?

93legendti
12-24-2006, 10:32 AM
TTT carbon bars, iirc.

swoop
12-24-2006, 12:14 PM
i love my g*y bars!
3T biomorph. these ones aren't even 'out' yet in the usa.
they look ridiculous and make me chuckle...

but, for whatever reason, they are the perfect shape on top, on the flats of the tops, against the hood, and in the drops. the reach and drop suit me to a T.

and that swoopy thing on the bottom drops.... has no discernable function but to embarrass the owner... and it does. i could chop it off.... but... it is amusing to me...
and so, i love my g*y bars... but i don't make any pretense about thinking they are cool.... like a classic bend... because they aren't. and if i don't have these i'd use a classic shallow drop.... 40 c to c.

k-wrongs...came with the bike i was riding last year..thankfully oval was the bar sponsor and we pulled them off as soon as the ovals showed up. but for a week i was on k-wings.. and couldn't find one decent hand position on them. hence the 'lameness'. the fugliness was just a bonus.
funny thing about fsa is that the integrated bar stem (k-force?) actually offers great hand postion and i would use them in a second if they came narrower and at the length i need.. if only they didn't have sucha hi-rise 90 degree stem and were tilted a little more down at the base of the drops they'd be flawless..

the thing that puts the k-wings over the top is that they don't even get the mold bag all the way out from inside the bars.... they just seemed like sh*te incarnate to me. bad shape, bad functionality, bad execution.. lame!

these 3 t's look fruity as can be... but the functional aspect makes them my bar of choice. so much so that i chased the set down via the interweb from a shop in england to get them.

obtuse
12-24-2006, 12:28 PM
3t bio-morphs are the liberace of handlebars. there is no gayer gay bar; but inspite or perhaps because of this they are pretty much perfect. they have a nice position in the hooks and that strange looking bend provides a nice sprinting position that is missing on almost every handlebar. you just can't really admit you like'em to anyone you're trying to impress.

see i use my five minutes of availble interweb time to comment on gay bars and include a liberace reference. i miss you guys.

alive and well and in new mexico,
obtuse

Serotta PETE
12-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Great looking bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PETE

swoop
12-24-2006, 01:29 PM
no triple crank this year swoop?

i am only doing races that go downhill... and i'll fake a flat if it gets hard.

saab2000
12-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Is that a new 2007 Record setup?

Talk about the crank!! Is it noticably stiffer? Or just cooler?

Talk also about the shifting! Is it any different with the new QS?

I almost bought a Seven once. Almost.

Fixed
12-24-2006, 03:13 PM
bro imho that is a race bike for a mature racer who knows what he wants and how to get it.
cheers

swoop
12-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Is that a new 2007 Record setup?

Talk about the crank!! Is it noticably stiffer? Or just cooler?

Talk also about the shifting! Is it any different with the new QS?

I almost bought a Seven once. Almost.

the campy looks jewel like in real life. the cranks feel stiff.. but not any stiffer than dura ace nor any less stiff. the shifting feels agricultural and perfect (i love the clunk). the throw between shifts is shorter and it's truely quicker. i love campy.. and think this iteration is as close to perfection as they've come. the brakes modualte better than dura ace and handle the carbon rims as well as aluminum.

zap
12-24-2006, 04:02 PM
um.... yeah... no the stem is perfect. big stiff stem means no flex in bars for sprint. but it looks wrong in the pic and better in tha' flesh.
(time carbon sans logo)

Great looking bike.

I have to ask, how were the Time logo's removed.

swoop
12-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Great looking bike.

I have to ask, how were the Time logo's removed.

i told the stem jerry lewis jokes and they fell off.

no um, one of the decals had a bubble.. i picked at it... made a little mess of it. grabbed an exacto and pried the rest of them off. followed with 1000 grit and then 1500 wet sand... and in the course of an hour it was done.

i like the time logo.. but if you pick you must commit. it was a matte finish clear coat on it...and kudos to time for making a superior product.. what was underneath the mess i made was some nicely applied clear coat.

af2004
12-24-2006, 04:40 PM
(time carbon sans logo)

Okay, good argument. :)

zap
12-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Swoop thanks.

Mine has the glossy finish and despite the color clash, can't really bring myself to send it out for fresh paint. I need the bike.

Anyhow, enjoy the ride.

swoop
12-24-2006, 06:03 PM
bro imho that is a race bike for a mature racer who knows what he wants and how to get it.
cheers

butch.. you are the man.

saab2000
12-24-2006, 08:03 PM
the campy looks jewel like in real life. the cranks feel stiff.. but not any stiffer than dura ace nor any less stiff. the shifting feels agricultural and perfect (i love the clunk). the throw between shifts is shorter and it's truely quicker. i love campy.. and think this iteration is as close to perfection as they've come. the brakes modualte better than dura ace and handle the carbon rims as well as aluminum.

Cool! Thanks. I have Record on all my bikes, 'cept one. And it has Chorus. Oh, and a couple have friction Record, but that's a whole 'nuther story.

But my main, modern rides have Record 10-speed and I like it. Never a problem. They have the traditional aluminum cranks, but my Look has the carbon crank. But not the new generation, which really looks nice. I have never thought that my old-style cranks were a problem at all, but it is nice to see Campagnolo come out with a new design.

I am curious about the brakes and the shifting too.

I am a bit bummed that they don't have any silver stuff left at the Record or at least Chorus level. But that's another story too.

Thanks for sharing your bikes and thoughts on the stuff! You always have some good opinions!

mosca
12-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Nice design - very modern looking, sort of a deconstructed panel graphic. mosca like!

swoop
12-25-2006, 06:35 PM
hey mosca, you 'got it'... it was all about deconstrutcing the panel and trying to find a way to make it seem contemporary. good eye over there.
now i want one in white and candy metallic orange.

Cary Ford
12-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Swoop - Have you crashed it yet?

swoop
12-25-2006, 10:24 PM
oh cary.... i've been in bed for three days. i rode to catalina for coffee during the donut ride... and that's it.

today i was able to drink water and eat a poptart. thank godness it was a rest week.

when are you back? hows hanging with mom and dad?

swoop
12-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I wanted to add one last note to this thread: I've had a few rides on this bike.... and it is amazing. If anyone (with defference and respect to the good folks at Serotta and their amazing product) is in Santa Monica/LA and interested in Seven.... feel free to drop me a PM and i'll do what I can to see you through the process and get you in the right hands....

I couldn't feel more passionate about this bike.... and want anyone that loves bikes to feel as happy with what they are riding as I do with this.

obtuse
12-29-2006, 01:08 PM
I wanted to add one last note to this thread: I've had a few rides on this bike.... and it is amazing. If anyone (with defference and respect to the good folks at Serotta and their amazing product) is in Santa Monica/LA and interested in Seven.... feel free to drop me a PM and i'll do what I can to see you through the process and get you in the right hands....

I couldn't feel more passionate about this bike.... and want anyone that loves bikes to feel as happy with what they are riding as I do with this.

now that's the type of privelaged nancy-boy self-entitled bike racer every sponsor is looking for! good for you swoop; and i don't dounbt your sincerity at all.

obtuse

swoop
12-29-2006, 01:28 PM
now that's the type of privelaged nancy-boy self-entitled bike racer every sponsor is looking for! good for you swoop; and i don't dounbt your sincerity at all.

obtuse

'tuse "gets it". i'd buy a bike from him blindfolded and know i'd have a happy ending.

petitelilpettit
12-29-2006, 02:20 PM
'tuse "gets it". i'd buy a bike from him blindfolded and know i'd have a happy ending.

Just take a look :D at Jack Brunk's new 595 in the Custom Bike gallery! I wouldn't be afraid to step out and say that about obtuse.

Pettit