PDA

View Full Version : Possibly OT: scooter recommendations

kohlboto
09-29-2019, 08:58 PM
So, my son is turning 10 in two weeks. He has been using a Razor scooter for the last few years to commute to school and fart around in the neighbourhood.

Lately, the boys have been heading to the skate park with their scooters.

Now, because of these trips, the standard Razor is now a bit underwhelming...

I’d like to upgrade his scooter but there seem to be a huge number of brands and configurations out there. Any experience with scooter brands and models I should be looking into? It would be mostly for commuting to school but the skate park is become a frequent destination as well.

It’s like buying a bike for the first time...wheel size? Bearings? Bar width? Deck size? I have no clue where to start.

Any opinions, info, sites, or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jay

Andy sti
09-29-2019, 09:06 PM
Our first nicer scooter was a Grit bought on Amazon. I believe it was right under $150 US. My son used that for a while then he upgraded to an Envy scooter. Was also bought through Amazon. I don't recall the price but it was probably double. Had better bearings and headset. Honestly for the first upgrade from a Razor just look online and stick below $100-150 it will be a huge upgrade from the Razor.

bronk
09-30-2019, 08:41 AM
My two oldest boys were skateboarders growing up and I knew nothing about skateboards other than how to drive them to the skatepark. By the time they were 6, they always knew what was cool and what they wanted next.

So, I'm guessing your 10 year old son knows exactly what he wants.