PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

dbnm
09-28-2019, 11:39 PM
Anyone riding this bike (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-roubaix-dura-ace-di2/p/128885?color=240074-128885)?

I am seriously considering it as my first ever carbon bike and would love some feedback about it.

avalonracing
09-28-2019, 11:59 PM
I've ridden my friend's brand new Roubaix. His is the non-SWorks model so it wasn't quite as fancy but it was a nice bike. It was smooth and felt quite stable. You could feel a bit of the shock absorption working on standing climbs which made it feel (to me) a bit less direct in power transfer than my fairly stiff Ti Seven. But I don't know that it would actually make it any slower as they say less skittering around might be more efficient. Would I consider buying one? Probably, if I needed a bike that smoothed out the road a bit. That said, my friend doesn't like it as much for spirited road riding compared to the very high-end Trek Emonda that he had before it but that is also comparing a $10000 13.5 pound race bike (Emonda) to one that is $4000 (his Roubaix) that is much heavier and is made for rougher roads.

zmalwo
09-29-2019, 12:20 AM
top end frames really aren't for daily rides simply because lower-end models are actually more durable than hign-end models of any brand. The walls are thicker, more durable features like alloy dropouts, BSA BB etc. unless you have a team car following you ready to replace your broken bike stay with Elite - Comp range... Not to mention DA vs Ultegra... Ultegar is more durable than despite dura-ace have a word DURA in it...

Matthew
09-29-2019, 12:28 AM
Can you test ride it? That would be your best indicator of ride and fit, etc. I know the Roubaix was and likely is still a very popular model for Specialized. Never ridden one myself but friends have them and love them. One buddy has the S-Works version and it is his every day ride. Absolutely could be for you too.

citycyclist247
09-29-2019, 04:32 AM
I thought it was an ebike version for a second. ‘Not that there’s anything wrong with that...’ 😅

simonov
09-29-2019, 04:33 AM
top end frames really aren't for daily rides simply because lower-end models are actually more durable than hign-end models of any brand. The walls are thicker, more durable features like alloy dropouts, BSA BB etc. unless you have a team car following you ready to replace your broken bike stay with Elite - Comp range... Not to mention DA vs Ultegra... Ultegar is more durable than despite dura-ace have a word DURA in it...

I've always heard DA was more durable than Ultegra. Apart from wear and tear on lighter weight cassettes, that is. What DA parts on DA break more easily?

kiwisimon
09-29-2019, 04:52 AM
I'd buy a lower model spec'ed with Ultegra and use the balance to go on holiday with the new bike. If you aren't at the pointy end of races I don't see why S'Works would appeal. But it's your money.

PaMtbRider
09-29-2019, 06:52 AM

In general, I would disagree with most of this.

KonaSS
09-29-2019, 07:20 AM

I agree with this general disagree-ance.

quickfeet
09-29-2019, 08:08 AM
I agree with this general disagree-ance.

Thirded, none of that is accurate

AngryScientist
09-29-2019, 08:14 AM

disagree with all of this.

AngryScientist
09-29-2019, 08:15 AM
back on topic:

i have found that all specialized bikes are very, very good, especially the S-Works models.

geometry matters. study the geometry and decide if it works for you. generally, if you buy an S-Works bike and the fit is correct for you, you will love it.

R3awak3n
09-29-2019, 08:39 AM
Also disagree with all of that obvisously.

this bike probably rides amazing. future shock, ect. Personally I would pick something else just because I just don't like how it looks, don't want/need the future shock and its way too expensive. I would probably pick up an OPEN, Ibis Hakka or a santa cruz... would be half the price and you would have an amazing gravel bike that is also a very capable road bike (with the extra money buy a fancy road wheelset or buy a NICE road bike.

BUT, I am sure this is an awesome bike, a lot of spesh stuff, even though hated by everyone around these parts, is very nice stuff.

jet sanchez
09-29-2019, 10:20 AM
Since we're discussing Specialized, I was passed by a guy on a really nice looking Specialized bike but I couldn't see which model it was but the paint was a beautiful British racing green; does anyone know what bike this might have been? It had disc brakes...

zmalwo
09-29-2019, 11:10 AM
Yall sitting here playing this guess game when the guy who's been to both Giant and Merida/Specialized factories in the same city in Taiwan, asked them about all this in their native language, is telling you the honest opinion. But again I don't have a Phd in physics so Idk.

joosttx
09-29-2019, 11:15 AM
I've always heard DA was more durable than Ultegra. Apart from wear and tear on lighter weight cassettes, that is. What DA parts on DA break more easily?

From my personal experience it is not true for chainrings, cassettes and rear derailleurs. I have toasted DA rd gravel rearing while never toasted an Ultegra RD. Obviously this may be bad luck for DA.

joosttx
09-29-2019, 11:16 AM
I have seen plenty of SWorks bikes used as daily riders. I have never heard a complaint about them being fragile.

R3awak3n
09-29-2019, 12:35 PM
Yall sitting here playing this guess game when the guy who's been to both Giant and Merida/Specialized factories in the same city in Taiwan, asked them about all this in their native language, is telling you the honest opinion. But again I don't have a Phd in physics so Idk.

and we are telling you our honest opinion.

Some stuff you said is not wrong... some higher end bikes are maybe a bit more fragile so they can be a bit lighter but this "unless you have a team car following you ready to replace your broken bike" is just not true... I think plenty of people here have had very high end bikes for years without a team support car. Higher end bikes work just the same. I would not work on them more or less over any other bike.

dbnm
09-29-2019, 12:41 PM
So would you buy this brand new bike for $5000?

R3awak3n
09-29-2019, 12:52 PM
Thats a good deal with di2 and nice carbon wheels.

eddief
09-29-2019, 12:57 PM
https://mikesbikes.com/products/specialized-roubaix-comp-udi2?variant=30264604852293&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrMHsBRCIARIsAFgSeI2G8BP_NdY7Jd0GRffM llUpzaQzAEiDYmIBbogkmrnbWswzn6ULLdUaAp7TEALw_wcB

look good, go good, shift good, handle buzz good, room for tires good, seatpost look funny works good.

kppolich
09-29-2019, 01:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJbrbrNlAoQ

Matthew
09-29-2019, 01:36 PM
For 5k that's a good deal. Me personally, I don't think I could get past the aesthetics of this bike. It's just not attractive. My opinion of course. Shallow? Probably. But I like to look at what I ride. And all of these new models with dropped seat stays, gigantic areo tubing just don't do much for me. It probably rides great, maybe even better than my bikes. But I have to like it. But yes, that is a good deal.

K3RRY
09-29-2019, 02:23 PM

Agreed. Opening up this can will be ot

Mark McM
09-30-2019, 10:40 AM
Thirded, none of that is accurate

You shouldn't disagree with all of it because, some of it is accurate. High-end carbon fiber frames are more commonly made with high-modulus fibers. These fibers are stiffer, and they have higher ultimate strength. This allows frames to be made lighter and stiffer. The downside of high module carbon fiber is that is that it is more brittle (less tough) than lower modulus carbon fibers (https://www.cervelo.com/en/the-myth-of-modulus). So, while high modulus carbon fiber may take more force to break (under static loads), it actually takes less energy to break (under impacts).

The bike industry has recognized that their carbon fiber frames are often less tough than their metal (steel and aluminum) frames. That's why they've started to look into materials like Dyneema fibers (https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dyneema-carbon-weaves-its-way-into-bikes-for-2018/), which when added to the carbon lay-ups can make carbon fiber frames tougher, and more immune to impacts.

pdmtong
09-30-2019, 05:03 PM
A friend has the McClaren version of the 2018 S-Works Roubaix and loves it. It's more than stiff enough to go fast and super comfortable. and yes he paid some $$$$ for it.

Personally I am not convinced about the future shock. yes it does isolate the rider nicely (I rode it) but remember the wheel and fork and frame are still taking impacts (so dont ride it like a mtb) and it adds weight. so you need to know that and be ok going into the purchase as its part of the frame (duh)

VT Skier
09-30-2019, 06:21 PM
I ride this as my daily bike, and love it.

Given the general opprobrium here for Specialized, the OP is welcome to pm me for further info.

avalonracing
09-30-2019, 06:50 PM
A friend has the McClaren version of the 2018 S-Works Roubaix and loves it. It's more than stiff enough to go fast and super comfortable. and yes he paid some $$$$ for it.

Did your friend to the Grizzly Peak Century last year? I saw one there and I know there can't be too many around.