PDA

View Full Version : Older tire issue

mcteague
09-28-2019, 04:55 PM
The Michelin PR4 Endurance tires on my back-up bike seem to be showing some age. I’m not sure how old they are, most likely just 3-4 years. The tread looks fine but, as seen below, some pink rubber is showing on the side walls. Should I replace them or is this just a cosmetic issue?

Tim

avalonracing
09-28-2019, 06:42 PM
I always lean on the side of safety with tires. I just go too fast down hills and around corners to worry about older rubber losing grip, or worse yet, a sudden deflation. $60-120 for a new set of tires is cheaper than anything that would happen in one of those scenarios.

veggieburger
09-28-2019, 08:03 PM
Had similar issue on blue Michelin tires. Deflated the tires, sidewalk felt dry and flakey...tossed them.

K3RRY
09-29-2019, 03:11 PM
I’d get new tires to be on the safe side

Since there’s a thread opened for this then you know what’s the right option

mcteague
09-29-2019, 04:25 PM
I’d get new tires to be on the safe side

Since there’s a thread opened for this then you know what’s the right option

I have several new spares on hand and was going to replace them. Just curious about the odd issue and thought the peanut gallery might have some experience with it.

Tim

GregL
09-29-2019, 05:15 PM
Had similar issue on blue Michelin tires. Deflated the tires, sidewalk felt dry and flakey...tossed them.
Agreed, it’s a common issue with Michelins. I’ve seen it happen with Krylions that were only in use for slightly more than a year. Wasn’t too happy to have the sidewalls starting to weaken when there was still significant tread thickness. I retired the tires to trainer use and haven’t purchased Michelins since.

Greg

steelbikerider
09-29-2019, 05:48 PM
It happens when the sidewalls start to get scuffed and thin. Mine got worse in the summer( high temps and humidity) since I keep my bikes in the garage. The pink goo must be a layer of adhesive or sealant between between the casing layers. I figured that the sidewalls were getting weak so I changed them.

rustychisel
09-29-2019, 07:01 PM
Sorry mcteague, someone has to say it: 'friends don't let friends ride Michelin'.

gbcoupe
09-29-2019, 07:07 PM
I haven't seen the pink bleed through, but did have a sidewall issue with a Michelin 4 (never had a problem with 3's). Sidewall dried and bubbled up rather abruptly. Kinda like it had been on a rear rack in front of a hot exhaust, but was not. I rode it for a while longer and kept an eye on it. It blew while hanging in the basement. I got lucky. I'm frugal and sometimes stupid. It's a balance.

mcteague
09-29-2019, 07:22 PM
Sorry mcteague, someone has to say it: 'friends don't let friends ride Michelin'.

I’ve ridden them for a long time and found little reason to change. The older PR2s and 3s tended to cut easily but the PR4s are great, very resistant to flats in my experience. I also like how the 25s plump up to 29 on 19mm internal width rims.

Tim

rustychisel
09-29-2019, 09:12 PM
Understood.

I haven't ridden Michelin for over 10 years, I confess. Liked the ride, didn't mind the grip, couldn't keep them inflated. PR3 used to suffer catastrophic slashes at random; eventually I decided when someone used a bread knife within three city blocks they'd give it up.

Blue Jays
09-29-2019, 10:08 PM
As cycling enthusiasts, we occasionally pedal 50+ mph downhill.
The moment tires become "doubtful" is moment they get changed.