PDA

View Full Version : Looking for more gears

sjbraun
09-27-2019, 06:33 PM
After riding in OR this summer, I've come to realize more gears would be helpful. (Who knew there were lots of 14-16% climbs in the Willamette valley?)

I have Potenza 11 speed parts to install, with medium cage RD rated to a 32 tooth max rear cog. Since 11 speed Campy and Shimano shift the same, I'm curious to try a Shimano rear wheel and cassette. How far can I push the limits of the Potenza RD? Will it shift to a 36 tooth cog (from a Shimano 11x36 cassette?)

If not, could I run my current Centaur long cage RD on a Campy 11 drive train to shift an 11-36 cassette?

Thanks for your help.

-Steve

pmac
09-27-2019, 07:24 PM
I can't help with your question, sorry. But I am very interested in the road cycling in that area. Can you mention where to find climbs in that % range?
Thanks, Paul

sjbraun
09-27-2019, 07:34 PM
For one, on the road to my apartment on Witham Hlll.
Cardwell Hill towards Kings Highway,
Old Peak Rd,
Mary's Peak,
Decker Rd,
Airport Rd west of Fern,
McDonald Forest,
Lewisburg Saddle,
Soap Creek Rd

to name a few in the Corvallis/Philomath area.

jtakeda
09-27-2019, 07:35 PM
After riding in OR this summer, I've come to realize more gears would be helpful. (Who knew there were lots of 14-16% climbs in the Willamette valley?)

I have Potenza 11 speed parts to install, with medium cage RD rated to a 32 tooth max rear cog. Since 11 speed Campy and Shimano shift the same, I'm curious to try a Shimano rear wheel and cassette. How far can I push the limits of the Potenza RD? Will it shift to a 36 tooth cog (from a Shimano 11x36 cassette?)

If not, could I run my current Centaur long cage RD on a Campy 11 drive train to shift an 11-36 cassette?

Thanks for your help.

-Steve

While I haven’t tried it personally since my project is still in the making I did extensive reading and came to the conclusion that a 36t rear will work with campy medium cage with a wolf tooth road link

I have a sram 36 waiting

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=231398&highlight=Campagnolo+36t

jtbadge
09-27-2019, 07:36 PM
Shimano doesn't sell an 11-36 11 speed cassette, you'll have to get one from SRAM. PG1170 is Force level, comparable weight/performance to Ultegra.

I think Clean39T was running this combo on a Centaur long cage, you might see if he has some input.

Clean39T
09-27-2019, 08:18 PM
Turns out I did run a road-link on Campag Centaur 11 and it worked flawlessly. I'm not longer using it though and have both the Road Link and a NIB SRAM 1170 11-36 cassette I could offer you on the cheapish... And I'm just up the road, though the USPS is still cheaper and more efficient than gas money to get up here.

I will vouch for the steepness of roads around here. Many of them were built as logging roads and farm roads to begin with, and took the shortest path up and over the pitches. I regularly see 15+% and often over 20%. Running a 32/30 on my Kirk feels nice. Grunting over that stuff on a 39/29 also works, if the legs are fresh and the bike light :eek:

ultraman6970
09-28-2019, 06:00 AM
My way to see this... I do not know if the OP is carrying like 40 pounds of stuff in his paniers or using a road bike.... but imo 34x32 should be enough to go anywhere (if you dont carry panniers)... not super fast but will do the job. Sometimes is a problem of climbing technique, sometimes is just a problem of a guy that doesnt have enough riding miles in his/her legs. or a problem of being just like 70 pounds overweight (my personal problem) Or just a combination of everything, like those guys that go to a century ride with no training and are already walking at the 1st hill which is like 5 miles down the road.

Im not familiar with the OP area, never been there, neither know the bike he is using or seeing him riding the bike to know more details. But sometimes riders (or the LBS) think the patch is to put more gears when the problem is another one or a combination of problems.

Just a general thought you know.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2019, 06:59 AM

Thanks for your help.

-Steve

The 36 should work with the med cage Potenza but the Centaur LC would work more better.

merlinmurph
09-28-2019, 08:21 AM
.... but imo 34x32 should be enough to go anywhere (if you dont carry panniers)... not super fast but will do the job.

Should be enough? For whom?

Like other things, gearing is personal, and the OP said he feels like he needs a 36. Some riders would feel comfy in a 27 cog, others (like myself) want that big cog for when they might need it.

fogrider
09-28-2019, 09:19 AM
More gears makes it easier but slower...I'm not a good climber and have learned to suffer with a 34x27, but I'm not riding up16% regularly...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Mark McM
09-28-2019, 12:41 PM
More gears makes it easier but slower...

Not always. A gear just low enough to allow you to maintain a smooth cadence can be faster than a gear that is so high that you have to grunt and strain just to keep it moving. There's a reason that pro racers are now using lower gears than they had in the past.

Dave
09-28-2019, 01:02 PM
The crank being used wasn't mentioned, so you don't even know the low ratio that would be produced with the 36. If it's a 50/34, then the low ratio would be the same as my 32/34, that I use a lot. On the really steep stuff, it makes it possible to keep my cadence out of the low sixties. I'm learning to stay in the 70-85 range.

maslow
09-28-2019, 04:08 PM
Not always. A gear just low enough to allow you to maintain a smooth cadence can be faster than a gear that is so high that you have to grunt and strain just to keep it moving. There's a reason that pro racers are now using lower gears than they had in the past.

I totally agree.

FWIW myself and wife have just returned from a cycling holiday near the Pyrénées. Neither of us are natural climbers and after taking cycling holidays in hillier parts of the world before this trip we rode 50/34 upfront with Campag 10 speed 12-30 for myself and 11-32 for my wife.

For short stretches with severe gradients (say 2-3kms) the setups worked, however for this trip I wanted my wife to feel more comfortable with the longer climbs so purchased a couple of Sugino OX901 chainsets (46/30).

Coupled with the said cassettes the climbs were made so much more enjoyable.

Hindmost
09-28-2019, 04:31 PM
... but imo 34x32 should be enough to go anywhere...

I used to say this about 42 x 23. Then, I said it about 39 x 26. Now...

pobrien
09-28-2019, 07:59 PM
The 36 should work with the med cage Potenza but the Centaur LC would work more better.

The post is very opportune as I am looking to do the same with Potenza on my Master Light. I am putting the larger Campy cassette on and was going to go with a medium rear derailleur - a long cage unit sounds like the best way to go.

There are a number of ski mountains here in Vancouver area that we rode up with small free wheels of the mid 80s that are a right pain these days! The Master Light can help with the ski mountain roads.

Much appreciated Peter.
(ps. The tubular wheels you built for me are really excellent).

oldpotatoe
09-29-2019, 06:00 AM
The post is very opportune as I am looking to do the same with Potenza on my Master Light. I am putting the larger Campy cassette on and was going to go with a medium rear derailleur - a long cage unit sounds like the best way to go.

There are a number of ski mountains here in Vancouver area that we rode up with small free wheels of the mid 80s that are a right pain these days! The Master Light can help with the ski mountain roads.

Much appreciated Peter.
(ps. The tubular wheels you built for me are really excellent).

POTD, for ME, thanks for the note, always good to hear my wheels are going strong...

merlinmurph
09-29-2019, 07:34 AM
I used to say this about 42 x 23. Then, I said it about 39 x 26. Now...

Exactly. Been there, done that.
Currently looking at a crank with a 30 on it.

R3awak3n
09-29-2019, 08:42 AM
I ran 11-36 1070 sram cassete with my campy, shifted just fine with a wolftooth thingy. I could not make it work without it.

I have that cassete for sale, low miles if you want to give it a try (and the wolf tooth road link as well)

ultraman6970
09-29-2019, 09:03 AM
Triple??

Exactly. Been there, done that.
Currently looking at a crank with a 30 on it.

merlinmurph
09-29-2019, 10:45 AM
Triple??

Nope, 46/30. Currently have a compact 50/34, and am feeling it on longer, hilly gravel rides. Paired with a 36 cog, it is admittedly a very low gear. It would come in handy, though.