PDA

View Full Version : Converting existing Athena 2x11 group to triple

Gsinill
09-26-2019, 10:19 AM
Current setup is all Athena 11 power shift.

Planned new setup:

Athena 11 triple crankset
Athena 11 triple FD
Chorus 11 shifters (pre 2015)
Athena 11 short cage (existing)

Will this work?
Also, since Athena triple FDs are kind of hard to come by, would a 10s Veloce triple work as well?

Thanks!

Ralph
09-27-2019, 06:27 AM
I would use a last generation 10's Veloce Mid cage for rear.....Athena short cage will work if you set it up to only use small front chainring over a couple of the large rear cogs. Run chain very slack over most of cassette. I've done that before. Occasionally see Athena mid cage on E bay. Last generation 10's Veloce and Athena 11's RD are interchangeable. Veloce has old style pulleys and steel inner pulley cage. (about 10G)

Don't know about last generation Veloce triple front....but bet it would work.

Are you sure the Chorus 11's shifters will shift triple? IMO nothing wrong with Power Shift triple shifters. Have a 10's Power Shift Centaur triple set up on one of my bike now. I actually prefer it over the Ultra Shift triples. Set it up right...and it centers perfect....never have to feather FD. Push the shift button and "pow" it's in next position....never have to click it to next chainring.

oldpotatoe
09-27-2019, 07:30 AM
Current setup is all Athena 11 power shift.

Planned new setup:

Athena 11 triple crankset
Athena 11 triple FD
Chorus 11 shifters (pre 2015)
Athena 11 short cage (existing)

Will this work?
Also, since Athena triple FDs are kind of hard to come by, would a 10s Veloce triple work as well?

Thanks!

As mentioned, a mid or long cage would work better..for chain length and ability to go full range in back..from small-small to big-big.

Older triple front ders, like the 10s mentioned, with longer arms, move further with each click. Only 7(or maybe 5?) clicks in pre 2015 LH shifter so that is required to be able to go full range. Another good choice would be a Comp triple front der..Make sure the cable is really tight(push down on thumb button while pulling cable tight) and chain close to front der cage inner cage..when starting to set this up.