PDA

View Full Version : Killed by blown out tire from dump truck

merckxman
09-25-2019, 08:04 AM
Tragic.
https://www.nj.com/news/2019/09/longtime-north-jersey-music-producer-dies-after-being-hit-by-blown-out-tire-from-dump-truck.html

Big Dan
09-25-2019, 08:19 AM
We had something similar down here in Florida.
A tire came off a truck and hit a lady that was jogging.
The truck was going pretty fast and the tire jumped the median.

NHAero
09-25-2019, 10:19 AM
I'm unclear - is a tire literally blowing off a rim, or is an entire wheel detaching?

seanile
09-25-2019, 10:37 AM
I'm unclear - is a tire literally blowing off a rim, or is an entire wheel detaching?

https://www.nj.com/passaic-county/2019/09/bicyclist-critical-after-hes-struck-by-blown-out-tire-from-from-dump-truck.html
A bicyclist was in critical condition Thursday after he was struck by a blown out tire that rolled from a dump truck carrying asphalt in Passaic County, authorities said.

James DeSalvo, 53, of Wayne, was riding his bicycle about 1:32 p.m. Wednesday on Black Oak Ridge Road when a tire blew out on the dump truck, according to Passaic County Prosecutor Camelia M. Valdes and Wayne Police Chief James Clarke.

The tire came off the truck and “rolled southbound in the shoulder on Black Oak Ridge Road until it struck James DeSalvo,” the prosecutor and police chief said in a joint statement.

Mark McM
09-25-2019, 10:42 AM
According to the article below, the tire blew out, departed the truck, and then rolled down the shoulder of the road before it struck the cyclist. The accident occurred 2 weeks ago, and the cyclist died of his injuries Monday night.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/passaic/wayne/2019/09/12/bicyclist-critically-injured-after-dump-truck-tire-blowout-wayne-nj/2298697001/

CAAD
09-25-2019, 10:42 AM
I sure mediocre maintenance and zero safety inspections were performed on that truck. The ones here in the Orlando area look like they should be in a junkyard let alone barreling down the road fully loaded at 80mph. There was another video of a tire/wheel on a highway that was rolling, jumped the median, and smashed into a wrangler.

Johnnysmooth
09-25-2019, 10:48 AM
When your card is punched, away you go.
Life every day to its fullest, it may be your last

Blue Jays
09-25-2019, 11:05 AM
Are we talking about those tire retreads we see littering the highways all across the nation?
Or was it the entire tire/rim/wheel assembly that came unbolted and rolled down the road?

Some of those bigger "whole tire" retreads must weigh 40+ pounds.

I have wondered how they can be permissible.
On a mountainous road (for example) a lost tread could cause horrendous accidents for bicycles, motorcycles, and small cars behind.

saab2000
09-25-2019, 11:08 AM
Are we talking about those tire retreads we see littering the highways all across the nation?
Or was it the entire tire/rim/wheel assembly that came unbolted and rolled down the road?

Some of those bigger "whole tire" retreads must weigh 40+ pounds.

I have wondered how they can be permissible.
On a mountainous road (for example) a lost tread could cause horrendous accidents for bicycles, motorcycles, and small cars behind.

I wondered the same thing. Retreads are a disaster and shouldn't be allowed, or if allowed should be far more strictly regulated. The tire fragments they leave behind are a hazard in their own right.

majorcsharp
09-25-2019, 11:23 AM
Having spent the last four years in nearby NYC as both a cyclist and resident, it's hard to believe how loosely regulated truck drivers are. I know NYC is not North Jersey and there are lots of skilled truck drivers in general, but any joker can get into a box truck and I've seen private contractors tear down residential streets, dangerously shove roll-offs around at five in the morning, and just raise hell -- all in the name of making the rounds as fast as possible and keeping their costs down.

I know this is a bit of a freak accident but too many cyclists have died in the region in the last year or so. In a vast majority of cases recklessness or negligence on the part of the drivers seems to be the cause (but I'm a bit biased).

djg21
09-25-2019, 11:26 AM
Tragic.
https://www.nj.com/news/2019/09/longtime-north-jersey-music-producer-dies-after-being-hit-by-blown-out-tire-from-dump-truck.html

Something similar happened to me years ago. I was riding a double paceline with my team up Rt 9w outside of Piermont, NY and a huge industrial dump truck approached from behind. As the truck passed, a rear wheel, which was perhaps 3 feet in diameter, broke off the axle and bowled all of us down. Thankfully the injuries were limited to bumps, bruises, some road rash, and a sprained wrist. A few bikes were banged up and replaced by the company that owned truck.

parris
09-25-2019, 11:37 AM
I was supervising a weekend work inmate cleaning crew on one of our highways a number of years ago. One of the inmates called a few others into a ditch and they recovered a complete front wheel and hub assembly that would fit on a semi tractor. This assembly weighed a good 200-300 lbs.

el cheapo
09-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Many years ago in Blythe, California I was having lunch at a Burger King next to the interstate. While looking out the window to my utter amazement I see a truck tire fly off the overpass and bounce wildly through an intersection slamming into a 7/11 store across the street. Just missed a group of people.

bikinchris
09-25-2019, 04:14 PM
You ain't heard nothing. These farm to market 18 wheeler trucks have NO regulation, no inspection certificate and the drivers don't even need a license! You could be sharing the road in Louisiana with a truck driven by a 14 year old farmers son carrying 60,000 pounds of sugar cane at 75mph. The truck hasn't been used since the last cutting season and may have had no maintenance whatsoever. We have had instances of trucks with no brakes crushing cars stopped at traffic lights.

Peter P.
09-25-2019, 08:50 PM
I was driving down the highway and watched a van lose the ENTIRE wheel; rim, tire, and all! It was doing 55 as I waited for it to careen off another vehicle, but it missed everything and rolled to the breakdown lane and fell over after rolling at least 1/4 mile. Due to weight bias, the van managed to stay on the remaining 3 tires until it slowed down and reached the breakdown lane where it tottered onto the hub of the now missing wheel's hub.

Spdntrxi
09-25-2019, 09:07 PM
I've been nearly next to a big rig while they blew a tire.... luckily I was a little behind it because it was a **** storm of rubber flying everywhere. I stopped to make sure my car was not damaged.

commandcomm
09-25-2019, 09:21 PM
Always sad to hear when this happens. I never ride on the road anymore. Only the bike paths for me.

pdmtong
09-25-2019, 09:22 PM
It can happen. A friend had her explorer totaled because a wheel/tire flew across the freeway from the opposing direction and smashed into her while she was going 70mph