PDA

View Full Version : Old School is the new school: Talk to me

Too Tall
12-23-2006, 05:52 AM
A few weeks ago I got a cryptic message from Smiley. A mutual friend, owner of an amazing Afgani resurant BTW, was interested in tubular wheels / tyres in need of guidance. Ahhh, my holiday gifts were arriving early ;)

David is a very enthusiastic rider. He soaks up bicycle culture and can not be contained on ANY group rides, he bubbles...which made the job of giving him direction all the more meaning and adding an welcome element of joy.

The wheels were on order, I told him what tyres / glue to get and to drop the mess at my house when that arrived. Two weeks pass and David meets me at the temple of bicycles (my garage) and I show him how to stretch tyres, talk about why's wherefor's and what-nots of tubulars...his eyes are rolling in his head...too much info. too fast!!! He was blown away that my commuter bike runs Conti Competitions that are nearly worn to threads :)

We practiced putting tubulars onto clean rims and I sent him out to hunt for Binda toe straps...bonus points for Binda Extra's ;) Also, told him to skip a KEWL tubular tyre bag and just score a clean athletic sock NO GOLD TOE PLS. for foul weather riding. We talked about how to roll, store and prep. a spare. I've got some decent spares in need of repair and we made plans to meet back at the temple of bikes for a repair lesson :)

Meanwhile back at the ranch....I am cleaning, scuffing and laying down layers of thin glue on his sweet new carbon uber wheels and prep'ing tyres for the man.

What do I get out of this???? If you have to ask.... :cool:

Old School is the new school yo. Who are you schooling?

Peace, Happy and Safe Holidays all. xxoo, TT.
Everyone send some extra healing vibes to ATMOs wife. GET WELL FAST.

old_school
12-23-2006, 06:46 AM
You talking to me?
:)

dauwhe
12-23-2006, 08:14 AM
That's a lovely story. Sounds like the world could use more of you! Thanks for sharing your knowledge as well as your stories!

Dave, remembering getting glue all over everything, 25 years ago...

djg
12-23-2006, 08:16 AM
TT mon, he's not putting those wheels on that Bianchi pista is he?

I just got some orange conti comps in size 25 for 50 bucks each, less 10% (which basically means fitty and free shipping) from el Nashbar, btw--seemed like a decent price.

Smiley
12-23-2006, 08:41 AM
David or as we call him Daoud is a very good guy and he's also a killer cyclist. Why we work on making him faster is un beknown to me :)

If your ever in the DC area and want some good cheap eats stop by his place "Faryab" in Bethesda on Cordell avenue and tell him the DC Serotta clan told you to swing by. You'll be in for a treat. Daoud catered the Nottrott 2006 Friday meal for those lucky to be here BTW. Leave room for the Baklava for later :banana:

zap
12-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Daoud is a great fellow and his cycling is improving.

If you enjoy lamb, Faryab is the place to get it.

The odd thing though is that Dauod always gives us plenty of extra food. I think he's up too something.

alancw3
12-23-2006, 10:22 AM
so share with us where this fabulous afgani restaurant is. next time i get up to my daughter's in northern virgina i will try to look it up.

Xyzzy
12-23-2006, 10:47 AM
I wish Too Tall lived in my neighborhood. I'd even settle for his evil twin.

:(