PDA

View Full Version : OT: Suggest me a car.

RKW
09-24-2019, 08:10 AM
So, my commute effectively increased by 24x in light of reasonably recent events driven by significant-other's-employmer-driven shenanigans.

Commuting 50 miles each way in a pickup (albeit a stupid nice one) is really old. The only truck-things I did with the truck was haul bikes, which I plan on doing either on the roof or hitch of its replacement.

Musts:
1) Hatch/Wagon
2) 28+ Highway Mileage
3) Able to carry full gear to a 3-5 day stage race for two people in relative comfort.

Current List:
1) 328d xDrive Wagon
2) JCW Mini Countryman
3) Panamera
4) Audi Allroad

Scope Creep List:
1) Cayenne
2) Q5/Q7 TDI
3) Merc GL

Call the budget 40k. Prefer used to new, because it's going to get a cubic $hitload of miles put on it. Moving is not an option. Two cars is the preferred choice, but also not an option because militant HOA run by twunts of epic proportion.

What else should I be looking at?

p nut
09-24-2019, 08:14 AM
You can get a Panamera for $40k??

Most/all of your choices are AWD. Is that a requirement?

RKW
09-24-2019, 08:15 AM
You can get a Panamera for $40k??

Most/all of your choices are AWD. Is that a requirement?

If you look hard enough, you can get a panamera turbo for 40k used. not that i'd want to wade into that potential maintenance quagmire.

AWD isn't necessary, but it also doesn't bother me.

oldpotatoe
09-24-2019, 08:20 AM
So, my commute effectively increased by 24x in light of reasonably recent events driven by significant-other's-employmer-driven shenanigans.

Commuting 50 miles each way in a pickup (albeit a stupid nice one) is really old. The only truck-things I did with the truck was haul bikes, which I plan on doing either on the roof or hitch of its replacement.

Musts:
1) Hatch/Wagon
2) 28+ Highway Mileage
3) Able to carry full gear to a 3-5 day stage race for two people in relative comfort.

Current List:
1) 328d xDrive Wagon
2) JCW Mini Countryman
3) Panamera
4) Audi Allroad

Scope Creep List:
1) Cayenne
2) Q5/Q7 TDI
3) Merc GL

Call the budget 40k. Prefer used to new, because it's going to get a cubic $hitload of miles put on it. Moving is not an option. Two cars is the preferred choice, but also not an option because militant HOA run by twunts of epic proportion.

VW AllTrack...

AngryScientist
09-24-2019, 08:24 AM
what kind of pickup did you have.

it's interesting that you'll be going from either an american or japanese vehicle to a list exclusively of euro cars to look at.

i used to commute 100 miles/day also (thank god those days are over) and did the commute exclusively in BMW. i do all my own car maintenance, but remember that @ 100 miles/day + weekend romping around the miles add up quick, and with euro cars, you need to have access to someplace to maintain them properly (you dont just put "regular" oil in a TDI for example...), unless you do the work yourself - so there is that to consider, and maintenance intervals will come quickly when you're racking those kind of miles.

FlashUNC
09-24-2019, 08:32 AM
Volvo wagon.

Audi allroad suspension will be a nightmare to deal with if you're putting serious miles on it.

commandcomm
09-24-2019, 08:34 AM
It is not so cool, but the Toyota Prius V, which is the Prius wagon, checks the box for mileage and is super reliable. However, I understand it is not the best looking car out here and doesn’t have the cool factor.

RKW
09-24-2019, 08:34 AM
what kind of pickup did you have.

it's interesting that you'll be going from either an american or japanese vehicle to a list exclusively of euro cars to look at.

i used to commute 100 miles/day also (thank god those days are over) and did the commute exclusively in BMW. i do all my own car maintenance, but remember that @ 100 miles/day + weekend romping around the miles add up quick, and with euro cars, you need to have access to someplace to maintain them properly (you dont just put "regular" oil in a TDI for example...), unless you do the work yourself - so there is that to consider, and maintenance intervals will come quickly when you're racking those kind of miles.

F150 Platinum 5.0. It's nice, it's just not really a good tool for the job as it's evolved. I've done all my own maintenance since I bought my first car.

bigman
09-24-2019, 08:35 AM
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

avalonracing
09-24-2019, 08:40 AM
VW AllTrack...

Get an Alltrack while you can. They are not going to import them anymore and they currently come with a 6 year 72K mile warranty which is also going away for 2020. AND you can still get them with a 6-speed manual which is become super-rare and will be coveted in the near future.

AngryScientist
09-24-2019, 08:47 AM
F150 Platinum 5.0. It's nice, it's just not really a good tool for the job as it's evolved.

get the Colorado Diesel. 30mpg highway.

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/9Bq21/s3/2015-5851242016-chevrolet-colorado-2-8l-duramax-turbo-diesel1.jpg

prototoast
It is not so cool, but the Toyota Prius V, which is the Prius wagon, checks the box for mileage and is super reliable. However, I understand it is not the best looking car out here and doesn’t have the cool factor.

The Prius V has been discontinued, but the Rav 4 Hybrid would probably be a good option.

hokoman

Musts:
1) Hatch/Wagon
2) 28+ Highway Mileage

I worked in the industry, and to be honest - it's a double edged sword because you have normal people that have to abide by rules that are set up for the people that ruin a community.

Does a minivan count as a hatch? :p A new Odyssey will get you 28 highway miles and it's the most comfortable car to take for extended stage races. Sure, it's not a sports car, but it's quiet and comfortable. I miss mine.

goonster
09-24-2019, 08:48 AM
Current List:
1) 328d xDrive Wagon
2) JCW Mini Countryman
3) Panamera
4) Audi Allroad

- The Mini is too small
- The Panamera seems impractical and uneconomical
- The Allroad gets nowhere near 28 mpg average

Might want to add:
- plain jane Golf wagon w. 1.8T (practical w. 28+ mpg)
- A4 Avant (better economy than Allroad)
- E350 wagon (won't get 28 mpg but better than GL, very roomy, swanky)

But really, the 328d wagon is the way to go. It meets all your criteria, has roof rails, decent room for long trips, and probably near top of fun to drive on commute.

tuxbailey
09-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Would Honda CR-V/Acura RDX fit the bill?

I commute 80 miles RT, mostly highway and my Acura TL has only the starter replaced in 130K. Everything else was routine maintenance.

My 2008 CR-V has 120K is mostly local traffic and only thing that went back was the AC at 90K.

pdonk
09-24-2019, 08:55 AM
My wife has an A5, we have had good luck with it, and it can fit quite a bit of stuff in it with one seat folded down. Mid sized gog cage, stroller, luggage for 3 people, cooler and toys all fit. If my Yakima trays fit the factory rack, we'd probably do some bike trips in it.

I drive a VW Tiguan, a bit tight if you have people in the back seat and are tall, but if no one is in the back seat then leg room is not a consideration. I can put 2 bikes on top, kid in a car seat, gear and the bike trailer in it no problem. My wife is short, so front leg room in front of the car seat is not an issue.

commandcomm
09-24-2019, 09:00 AM
The Prius V has been discontinued, but the Rav 4 Hybrid would probably be a good option.

Thank for the heads up. Where have I been. Agree on Rav 4. Toyota has perfected the gas electric hybrid system and in my opinion the best of the manufacturers. Any Toyota or Lexus that is hybrid will get great gas mileage and will be super reliable.

trener1
09-24-2019, 09:01 AM
Another vote for a Volvo wagon, if you can pick up a V60 Polster addition that should be a fun ride.

p nut
09-24-2019, 09:03 AM
Get an Alltrack while you can. They are not going to import them anymore and they currently come with a 6 year 72K mile warranty which is also going away for 2020. AND you can still get them with a 6-speed manual which is become super-rare and will be coveted in the near future.

That's too bad. I was hoping they would bring over the Passat Alltrack. That would be the ideal wagon for me.

For the OP, I would say any CUV/Wagon would work. Outback, Ford Escape, Mazda CXwhatever, etc.

At one time (for 8 years), I commuted 80-100 miles a day. Make sure you are ok with 28mpg. Even 5mpg improvement makes a big difference. Personally, I'd opt for a more fuel efficient vehicle in the high 30mpg range. IE, Corolla Hatch, Honda Fit, etc. You will hate your car less.

RKW
09-24-2019, 09:12 AM
That's too bad. I was hoping they would bring over the Passat Alltrack. That would be the ideal wagon for me.

For the OP, I would say any CUV/Wagon would work. Outback, Ford Escape, Mazda CXwhatever, etc.

At one time (for 8 years), I commuted 80-100 miles a day. Make sure you are ok with 28mpg. Even 5mpg improvement makes a big difference. Personally, I'd opt for a more fuel efficient vehicle in the high 30mpg range. IE, Corolla Hatch, Honda Fit, etc. You will hate your car less.

I should be clear, my preference would be for a 997.1 911T to commute, and a used Econoline or Sprinter van for bike purposes. This isn't an option due to aforementioned HOA...

I don't actually care about the mileage, but if I'm going to replace the truck, I'm going to get an improvement to the status quo. Anything over 17 is an improvement to the truck..

ORMojo
09-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Find a low mileage 2014-2018 Subaru Forester XT. I get 28-30+ MPG in mine. Well below your budget, will carry your gear, roof rails and/or hitch for bike rack, turbo provides good performance, off-road is useful (a lot for me).

CDollarsign
09-24-2019, 09:34 AM
I have had a 2012 A4 Avant for quite some time and absolutely love the car. If my wife and I weren't both getting new cars next year I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a new allroad. You won't have any suspension issues as advised above because they don't have the air suspension that early 00 A6 derived allroads had.

I get 33 MPG on the highway with plenty of power.

Red Tornado
09-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Do you have a way to cover your bikes, if on roof or hitch rack, to protect from rain/inclement weather? Is this something you need or want to do or doesn't matter? Could affect your choice of vehicle. Probably only a minivan or large'ish SUV will accommodate two bikes without some disassembly + gear for a multi-day trip.
I am not a fan of transporting bikes in the rain/sleet/etc. uncovered. Always put in vehicle (if enough room) or laid down in the bed of my truck with cover over the bed.

icepick_trotsky
09-24-2019, 09:38 AM
Would Honda CR-V/Acura RDX fit the bill?

I commute 80 miles RT, mostly highway and my Acura TL has only the starter replaced in 130K. Everything else was routine maintenance.

My 2008 CR-V has 120K is mostly local traffic and only thing that went back was the AC at 90K.

Came here to suggest the RDX. I really like my 2015, but with V6 and AWD, you can't get 30 mpg.

DRZRM
09-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Don't laugh (too much) but have a look at the Buick Regal TourX wagon. German made, 4 wheel drive, you'll miss 28 miles but not by much (claims 29 highway). Huge rear, feels quite luxury, you can likely get a new one for nearly $10k off your budget on the highest end one, and if you find a year old 2018 with low miles, it will be much less.

https://www.buick.com/crossovers/regal-tourx-luxury-wagon

texbike
09-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Mazda is making some really cool cars these days. The CX-5 could be a nice option for what you're looking for. One of our friends recently picked up a new one for commuting duties. It was less than $22K and seems like a lot of car for the money. I drove it over the weekend and was impressed.

texbike

mktng
09-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Don't laugh (too much) but have a look at the Buick Regal TourX wagon. German made, 4 wheel drive, you'll miss 28 miles but not by much (claims 29 highway). Huge rear, feels quite luxury, you can likely get a new one for nearly $10k off your budget on the highest end one, and if you find a year old 2018 with low miles, it will be much less.

https://www.buick.com/crossovers/regal-tourx-luxury-wagon

Wow.

Thats a nice Volvo...Volkwagen looking Buick

Honestly though. Thats nice. Couldnt convince myself to buy a Buick though

commandcomm
09-24-2019, 10:24 AM
I am ashamed to say that Buick wagon looks nice. I would drive it. I have a soft spot for wagons. Growing up my always drove a Volvo 240 wagon. Simple utilitarian wagons that were bombproof.

C40_guy
09-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Volvo wagon.

Audi allroad suspension will be a nightmare to deal with if you're putting serious miles on it.

OP is probably considering the A4-based allroad, which has standard coil suspension, versus the older C5-based allroad (2001-2005), which had the air suspension.

$40K would buy a nice 2015 Cayenne S, might even end up with CPO. But Cayenne's with roof rails are rare, and they cannot be added after production.

Q5 V6 supercharged from 2015 or 2016 would be a sweet ride, and somewhat less expensive than the Cayenne.

If you go European, make sure you have a good private independent mechanic available. Dealer maintenance can get expensive...

We have a '13 Q7 TDi, which is very nice...but I think the standard gas motors will be more serviceable down the road. Not that 31 mpg in a large SUV is bad. :)

Blue Jays
09-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Honda Fit or Honda HR-V might "check many boxes" so to speak.
The challenging part of your list is satisfying the mileage requirement.
I have seen four roadbikes in a Honda Fit wagon. Smart engineering.

saab2000
09-24-2019, 10:42 AM
VW GTI.

Lock Thread.

mktng
09-24-2019, 10:43 AM

I love almost everything about my Honda Fit. However. It lacks power.
HWY driving also sucks in it.

Gsinill
09-24-2019, 10:43 AM

Musts:
1) Hatch/Wagon
2) 28+ Highway Mileage

Current List:
1) 328d xDrive Wagon
2) JCW Mini Countryman
3) Panamera
4) Audi Allroad

Scope Creep List:
1) Cayenne
2) Q5/Q7 TDI
3) Merc GL

I am surprised that there are not more votes for the 328d.
This would have been my choice but being married to an American who has the usual disdain for wagons, she ended up with a Cayenne Diesel.
I love it, great extended warranty due to Diesel Gate and it checks all your boxes.
Caveat, recommended oil change interval is 5,000 miles. Material alone $100, done at the dealer 3 - 5x of that.

TunaAndBikes
09-24-2019, 10:44 AM
Subaru Forester should be a serious contender
Volvo V90 wagon is my crush

Blue Jays
09-24-2019, 10:55 AM
"...I love almost everything about my Honda Fit.
However. It lacks power. HWY driving also sucks in it..."
Agreed on all points. It does have an "aluminum can" presence.
That lightweight build undoubtedly benefits the high fuel mileage.

yinzerniner
09-24-2019, 11:02 AM
No budget cap:
Volvo V60 Polestar PHEV

Moderate Budget Cap
BMW 328d Wagon

Low Budget Cap
Mazda CX-5

saab2000
09-24-2019, 11:02 AM
The GTI is a terrific daily driver and surprisingly practical.

About a year ago I bought a 2018 VW Tiguan, which has none of the driver appeal of the GTI but a ton of practicality. It's a joy for me as a rider, with tons of usable space. A bike fits with the rear seat folded down without taking off the front wheel. Plenty of storage space for shoes and helmet and other gear. A year in and mileage has, if anything, improved. On highway drives with the cruise set at 70-75 I will routinely see 31-33 MPG.

That said, if I had this to do over again I think I'd get the current Honda Passport. That is far more appealing to me than the Tiguan I have though the fuel economy takes a slight hit. I'm a huge fan of the Audi Q7 idea too but they will run high in ownership costs when some of the bigger service items come due.

Blue Jays
09-24-2019, 11:09 AM
"...That said, if I had this to do over again I think I'd get the current Honda Passport.
That is far more appealing to me than the Tiguan I have though the fuel economy takes a slight hit..."
Honda Passport does indeed look like a solid vehicle choice for cyclists.
Any news from dealership if they have a "sunroof delete" build option?

FlashUNC
09-24-2019, 11:10 AM
The GTI is a terrific daily driver and surprisingly practical.

About a year ago I bought a 2018 VW Tiguan, which has none of the driver appeal of the GTI but a ton of practicality. It's a joy for me as a rider, with tons of usable space. A bike fits with the rear seat folded down without taking off the front wheel. Plenty of storage space for shoes and helmet and other gear. A year in and mileage has, if anything, improved. On highway drives with the cruise set at 70-75 I will routinely see 31-33 MPG.

That said, if I had this to do over again I think I'd get the current Honda Passport. That is far more appealing to me than the Tiguan I have though the fuel economy takes a slight hit. I'm a huge fan of the Audi Q7 idea too but they will run high in ownership costs when some of the bigger service items come due.

I love my MkVI to death, but I don't think it fits the requirement of carrying equipment for two people for a 3-5 day stage race in "relative comfort" per the OP's request. You'd have to go towards a larger wagon for that kind of support versus the Golf hatch, I'd think.

Absolutely agreed though, the GTI is a stonkingly good car.

wc1934
09-24-2019, 11:30 AM

With my HR-V, I get minimum of 33 in the city and 39 on the highway.

saab2000
09-24-2019, 11:49 AM
Honda Passport does indeed look like a solid vehicle choice for cyclists.
Any news from dealership if they have a "sunroof delete" build option?

I doubt it. But I don’t think it’s a stupid full-roof sunroof with a nearly-transparent cover like my Tiguan has. I dislike it but I like some of the other things that are only available on the SEL Premium. Examples are LED headlights and the premium sound system.

PS - I’d get something with a trailer hitch, even if you don’t plan to tow. Use a trailer hitch rack to carry the bikes and keep extra space in the cabin for people and clothes.

mktng
09-24-2019, 12:00 PM
too bad the mpg isnt any better.
but the sienna AWD would probably be the best option :)

buddybikes
09-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Lexus UX hybrid is worth a sit in, more of a daily mommy car, but if you fit it is highly reliable, rear engage with the battery front normal.

Ken Robb
09-24-2019, 12:29 PM
Mazda is making some really cool cars these days. The CX-5 could be a nice option for what you're looking for. One of our friends recently picked up a new one for commuting duties. It was less than $22K and seems like a lot of car for the money. I drove it over the weekend and was impressed.

texbike

I was going to suggest considering a CX-5 too. We bought a 2014 3 sedan with 2.5 L and automatic and it has been perfect except for the touch-screen getting wonky. This was such a common problem that MAZDA extended the warranty on them for 84 months so we are waiting our turn for a free replacement screen.

I didn't want to wait for the new Mazda 3 to come to the USA mid-Spring so I bought a Civic Si which is a wonderful example of a German sport sedan with Japanese pricing and (we hope) Japanese reliability and service costs. We went to The Auto Show hoping to drive a new model MAZDA 3 but they were still several months from final specs and build for the USA. Since we were there we drove a 2019 CX-5 with the turbo engine and were quite impressed. We have no need for an SUV but I can't imagine one that would drive any better and the interior was very nice too.

josephr
09-24-2019, 12:34 PM

+1 --- its a commuter car and getting one used is an even better deal as its low-maintenance and long-run reliability. Saving $ is always cool.

C40_guy
09-24-2019, 12:44 PM
This would have been my choice but being married to an American who has the usual disdain for wagons, she ended up with a Cayenne Diesel.
I love it, great extended warranty due to Diesel Gate and it checks all your boxes.
Caveat, recommended oil change interval is 5,000 miles. Material alone $100, done at the dealer 3 - 5x of that.

CD is a wonderful vehicle...my next car will probably be a Cayenne, and I'm tempted to go diesel again...but will probably focus on the gas V6 turbo...

With regard to oil changes... on our Q7 TDi (with the same motor), I do my own oil changes. I use an oil extractor to remove the old oil and the filter cartridge is easily accessed from above as well. No need to get under the vehicle or to get messy.

Gummee
09-24-2019, 12:45 PM
So the truck's paid off, right?

How much better gas mileage are you going to have to get to offset the monthly payment, increased insurance, increased maint., etc?

M

RKW
09-24-2019, 12:51 PM
So the truck's paid off, right?

How much better gas mileage are you going to have to get to offset the monthly payment, increased insurance, increased maint., etc?

M

Truck is paid for, and I'd write a check for this, so there wouldn't be a monthly payment, and if anything insurance would go down. New trucks are astonishingly expensive to insure.

I'm going to go find a 3 wagon to drive. I've had a GTI/Golf R, and didn't like them...

stien
09-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Having recently gone to a minivan, I wouldn't get anything else. I'm over having bikes stacked inside like we did in our 2007 Prius (it was great for stage races BTW).

avalonracing
09-24-2019, 01:40 PM
I love my MkVI to death, but I don't think it fits the requirement of carrying equipment for two people for a 3-5 day stage race in "relative comfort" per the OP's request. You'd have to go towards a larger wagon for that kind of support versus the Golf hatch, I'd think.

Absolutely agreed though, the GTI is a stonkingly good car.

I have a new Mk7.5 6spd and love it too. But you're right about it being kind of tight, space-wise. It could be okay if you do a hitch-mount rear rack and Stealth Racks makes a cool one that doesn't show the hitch.

skiezo
09-24-2019, 02:10 PM
https://i.imgur.com/0omQSLHl.jpg

cmb5286
09-24-2019, 02:25 PM
Why not save some coin and find a JSW or Golf SportWagen TDI? You can find low mile certified ones all day under $20k. Half your budget and will run forever with maintenance. Not the sexy or fun option, but the correct one for a 100+ daily commute.

PeregrineA1
09-24-2019, 02:42 PM
Another Mazda vote. We have two 3’s and they are very practical plus near 40 mpg on the highway and 33-34 in town. My niece’s CX-5 approaches those numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denapista
09-24-2019, 02:53 PM
Volvo wagon.

Suspension is the last thing I'd be worried about with the Audi Allroad. The B9 (Current models) are solid and the B8/B8.5 models were good solid cars as well. Suspension replacement is nothing more than an H&R spring/shock kit away from being nice again... The B6 models had the adjustable suspension (Ride height). The B7 gen of Audi cars were plagued with oil consumption, plastic hoses failing and engine heating/cooling issues. Most of those issues were addressed with the B8 model (2008-2016). I would stay far away from the B7 2.0T FSI motors. They came in the A3/A4 and my wagon was a nightmare at 160,000.

I just paid $14,000 for a used TDI Golf Sportwagen, 6sp manual with minimal options and 36,000mi on the ODO. This week, I'm expected to get 580-620mi on my 11gallon tank. I've been averaging 51-54mpg on my commute. This car is hands down the best purchase I've made in regards to car, and I own a pretty built up 2017 BMW M3 Comp PKG car.

My vote is TDI GolfSportwagen without a sunroof. Only something to go faulty in the future. TDI motors are known to last for over 250,000-300,000mi. I use the Golf Sportwagen for my daily driver to commute, and the M3 outside of it. I've been finding the Golf wagen so comfy that I no longer had a need for the M3. My TDI Golf Sportwagen has bluetooth, etc.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48576733097_47cb542d0a_c.jpg

cmb5286
09-24-2019, 02:59 PM
Suspension is the last thing I'd be worried about with the Audi Allroad. The B9 (Current models) are solid and the B8/B8.5 models were good solid cars as well. Suspension replacement is nothing more than an H&R spring/shock kit away from being nice again... The B6 models had the adjustable suspension (Ride height). The B7 gen of Audi cars were plagued with oil consumption, plastic hoses failing and engine heating/cooling issues. Most of those issues were addressed with the B8 model (2008-2016). I would stay far away from the B7 2.0T FSI motors. They came in the A3/A4 and my wagon was a nightmare at 160,000.

I just paid $14,000 for a used TDI Golf Sportwagen, 6sp manual with minimal options and 36,000mi on the ODO. This week, I'm expected to get 580-620mi on my 11gallon tank. I've been averaging 51-54mpg on my commute. This car is hands down the best purchase I've made in regards to car, and I own a pretty built up 2017 BMW M3 Comp PKG car.

My vote is TDI GolfSportwagen without a sunroof. Only something to go faulty in the future. TDI motors are known to last for over 250,000-300,000mi. I use the Golf Sportwagen for my daily driver to commute, and the M3 outside of it. I've been finding the Golf wagen so comfy that I no longer had a need for the M3. My TDI Golf Sportwagen has bluetooth, etc.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48576733097_47cb542d0a_c.jpg

^^^
This guy gets it.

denapista
09-24-2019, 03:09 PM
I'm literally listing my M3 for sale, because my Golf Sportwagen is that good. With gas prices going up, I'm seeing diesel prices going down.

I would stay away from the 328d cars because they were plagued with carbon buildup. I had carbon buildup issues in my 2006 Audi A4 avant. It felt like I was getting constant misfires, which in actuallity I was getting misfires and sluggish performance. Do some research on the 328d cars. the BMW diesel does get impressive MPG, but not a car I would want to be driving when it hits 100,000 on the odometer.

I specifically got my TDI wagon without all of the options, as those are things that will just need to be replaced down the line. I can make it to SF from LA on 1/2 tank of gas at 73-78mph the entire way. It's a no brainer to by one.

Ralph
09-24-2019, 03:45 PM
I would get an Odyssey for your use.

Hellgate
09-24-2019, 03:58 PM
https://i.imgur.com/0omQSLHl.jpgThis...such a deal.

Blue Jays
09-24-2019, 04:10 PM
"...I would get an Odyssey for your use..."
A well-equipped modern Honda Odyssey with leather and rear captain's chairs is absolutely a pure luxury experience.
Excellent capability for loading, supremely comfortable, and serenely quiet on the highway. Great choice for cyclists.

I do not own one yet have been consistently impressed as a passenger.
Family and friends who have them have been pleased with their purchase.

goonster
09-24-2019, 04:12 PM
It's a no brainer to by one.

I used to evangelize like this for TDI's, but no longer bother because, alas, American soil is barren to this seed.

cmb5286
09-24-2019, 05:45 PM
I used to evangelize like this for TDI's, but no longer bother because, alas, American soil is barren to this seed.

You're probably right, but for those in the know, it's still a great car. Furthermore, the fix has little to no impact on performance or MPG. Sorry guys but VAG isn't the only corp that is cheating the system...

buddybikes
09-24-2019, 05:49 PM
Reality here - looking for driving 100 miles a day - 5xx a week, that a lot of gas, perhaps affordable today but with crisis in middle east? Hybrid whatever you do.

hokoman
09-24-2019, 05:51 PM
My sister in law had a Prius, she got into an accident and I encouraged my brother to get a VW wagon... They both said it felt super cheap, and shortly after, she ended up in a Lexus.

Gummee
09-24-2019, 06:04 PM
A well-equipped modern Honda Odyssey with leather and rear captain's chairs is absolutely a pure luxury experience.
Excellent capability for loading, supremely comfortable, and serenely quiet on the highway. Great choice for cyclists.

I do not own one yet have been consistently impressed as a passenger.
Family and friends who have them have been pleased with their purchase.
I had an 02 Odyssey

Good for cyclists is an understatement.

Decent on gas

M

Blue Jays
09-24-2019, 06:14 PM
"...Good for cyclists is an understatement..."
Were I to be in the marketing department at Honda and responsible for that product segment...you better believe I would consider cyclists as serious potential buyers. It is a mature sport with aficionados blessed with a few dollars in their wallets and purses.

nickl
09-24-2019, 09:02 PM

Musts:
1) Hatch/Wagon
2) 28+ Highway Mileage

Current List:
1) 328d xDrive Wagon
2) JCW Mini Countryman
3) Panamera
4) Audi Allroad

Scope Creep List:
1) Cayenne
2) Q5/Q7 TDI
3) Merc GL

Any new Volvo V60 variant easily checks all the boxes if you get one with fewer options and if you haggle a little on price. With the 5yr bumper to bumper warranty and three years or 30k miles of free dealer service your ongoing out of pocket costs will be minimal. Best of all, base models are well optioned and the V60 is a really good performing vehicle with excellent handling.

akelman
09-24-2019, 09:53 PM
I've had a V60 for 3+ years. It's served me very well—absolutely zero problems (knock wood)—though I don't drive nearly as many miles as you do. The seats, as most Volvo enthusiasts/freaks will tell you, are quite nice. You can get a used one, especially if you're willing to buy one from before the redesign, for a song.

572cv
09-25-2019, 01:20 AM
This would have been my choice but ......

After a year and a half in a ‘14 328d x-drive, I can say this is a wonderful driving car. Great power, comfy, bmw handling, quiet, about 40 mpg. They are around, if you are patient, at good prices.

K3RRY
09-25-2019, 01:41 AM
Looks like you’re aiming towards european cars.

If not, Lexus RX450H

Drives like it has 400hp and gas mileage like a 4 banger ~28mpg combined

I am biased though because I’ve worked at Lexus for over 10yrs

Cinci Jim
09-25-2019, 05:56 AM
Seems like it checks all the boxes.

Or a Subi of some sort.

oldpotatoe
09-25-2019, 07:24 AM
You're probably right, but for those in the know, it's still a great car. Furthermore, the fix has little to no impact on performance or MPG. Sorry guys but VAG isn't the only corp that is cheating the system...

No kidding..but at least VW is going to make this..too bad it's...yawn, all electric.

RKW
09-25-2019, 07:37 AM
I understand what I want doesn't actually exist. I like the idea of a 328d wagon, will drive one this weekend.

As far as hybrids go, it isn't going to happen. The smart answer is to shut up and keep driving the truck.

Other option is just deal with the more limited space, and get a smaller funner hatch. (not Golf/GTI/Golf R, because I've had one and didn't like it)

ORMojo
09-25-2019, 07:45 AM
Reality here . . . driving 100 miles a day . . . that a lot of gas . . . Hybrid whatever you do.

This I don't understand (because I dealt with it as my wife's original mindset: Hybrid or nothing, for the gas mileage). There are gas-only cars mentioned here that get better mileage than hybrids mentioned here, and plenty of other examples. So don't get trapped in a hybrid only mindset.

RKW
09-25-2019, 07:48 AM
Reality here - looking for driving 100 miles a day - 5xx a week, that a lot of gas, perhaps affordable today but with crisis in middle east? Hybrid whatever you do.

Sorry, but a crisis in the middle east is literally the last thing on my mind when purchasing a car.

Plus hybrids exist solely so people can feel smug about driving something "efficient" and "Green" while remaining completely ignorant of the life cycle economics or environmental consequences of battery production. Because the vast majority of people are stunningly dumb, the manufacturers sell lots of them, when they're not really the ideal solution to the problem for most people.

Blue Jays
09-25-2019, 07:51 AM
What about moving locally as in under a mile away...to be out from under-the-thumb of the militant HOA you mentioned?
Or what about renting an inexpensive offsite garage for the second vehicle to further simplify this decision about the car?

oldpotatoe
09-25-2019, 08:22 AM
Plus hybrids exist solely so people can feel smug about driving something "efficient" and "Green" while remaining completely ignorant of the life cycle economics or environmental consequences of battery production. Because the vast majority of people are stunningly dumb, the manufacturers sell lots of them, when they're not really the ideal solution to the problem for most people.

Yo...

Gummee
09-25-2019, 09:33 AM
I'm cogitating a new vehicle as well, but since starting to work out of a van, my car sits 90% of the time.

If I were looking at cars, a 1st gen Volt would be high on the list. I've heard that they were overbuilt to avoid them breaking and making Chevy look bad.

YMMV tho as with everything

M

cmb5286
09-25-2019, 10:38 AM

This x 100.

Ozz
09-25-2019, 11:35 AM
What about moving locally as in under a mile away...to be out from under-the-thumb of the militant HOA you mentioned?...

+100

No HOA is great, but better is not having to worry about too much about MPG when buying cars.

I work out of two offices....one is about 15 miles away (take mass transit most days)....the other is 2 miles (carpool with spouse).

Any regret I might have over not maximizing MPG is offset by driving < 4000 miles per year.

C40_guy
09-25-2019, 11:51 AM
Two cars is the preferred choice, but also not an option because militant HOA run by twunts of epic proportion.

Wow, and I thought my HOA limit of no more than two horses, and one visible boat no longer than 21 feet, was invasive. :)

(So I store my three kayaks in the garage!)

Um, moving? :)

josephr
09-25-2019, 03:03 PM
Sorry, but a crisis in the middle east is literally the last thing on my mind when purchasing a car.

someone's obviously been watching too much South Park. Hybrids have been around more than 15 years now and they're getting better all the time. While I'd agree the addition of hybrid technology on certain vehicles has a minimal improvement in efficiency and performance, eg: Highlander Hybrid, but for those that take more of a pragmatic approach for A:B transportation see the benefits much sooner. Prius, Insights, and others are showing long-term reliability along the lines of Corollas and Civics. These are where the hybrids are really showing their value.
Electric cars are really taking off outside the US as well...The Leaf is one of Nissan's best selling cars in Asian markets and Tesla and others are doing very well in Europe. Mercedes has even stopped R&D of ICE and pretty much every carmaker will be offering fully electric versions by 2022.

My current vehicle is an old used truck, but my extended family has driven hybrids for years without problems..as we tend to own our cars for longer than 10 years, I can say our experiences with hybrids has been overall very positive and has met 'our needs' including bike hauling and such. This has been a civil conversation about vehicles and bikes, which is always a popular topic, but lets not take this opportunity to bash hybrids and their owners.

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned that a 25mi commute by bike could be very do-able, with the right circumstances.

Blue Jays
09-25-2019, 03:17 PM
"...I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned that a 25mi commute by bike could be very do-able, with the right circumstances..."RKW mentioned in his/her original post the commute is fifty (50) miles in each direction for a total of one hundred (100) miles daily.

Red Tornado
09-25-2019, 03:22 PM

This is what concerns me a little about hybrids or the all-electrics. So we're using less fossil fuel with these cars, but do the battery issues offset that? How much? Not saying I'm against these cars, just not convinced they're the big solution they were/are hyped up to be.

buddybikes
09-25-2019, 03:25 PM
This like everything turns into a left/right debate, and we can't get off square one.

I had students research emissions of a prius (back in 2009) vs regular car - just the crap put in the air difference is huge. As a biker in middle of summer, wouldn't you rather have a cleaner car pass you rather than a old pickup?

Regeneration just make so much sense, why waste the energy from braking. Also , batteries are highly reused.

We own an Allroad (24mgh) and a Lexus 200h (basically a prius) @ 45mpg. My wife would never think of taking her 100 mile a day drive in the Allroad. But to each his own, just get the emotion out of the purchase and think rationally over next 5-10 years.

Andy sti
09-25-2019, 03:44 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of your stage races. If I was working 11-12 hours 5 days a week (8hr days plus 2-3hr commute) my cycling performance would suck. I primarily raced stage races and needed 12-15 hours a week of training. How are you managing that?

Blue Jays
09-25-2019, 03:46 PM
Curious which vehicle is the "leading contender for purchase" at this point?

RKW
09-25-2019, 04:53 PM
Curious which vehicle is the "leading contender for purchase" at this point?

Giving the significant other my truck since her commute is 5 miles each way, and figuring out my problems later.

Working on it.

Gun-to-head, 328d wagon is pretty compelling right now.

C40_guy
09-25-2019, 05:25 PM

Before you pull that trigger, get some seat time in an A4 wagon, or the (sm)allroad. I think you'll be impressed.

With any of the pre-owned European cars, of course, a PPI is required.

wc1934
09-25-2019, 05:52 PM
This like everything turns into a left/right debate, and we can't get off square one.

I had students research emissions of a prius (back in 2009) vs regular car - just the crap put in the air difference is huge. As a biker in middle of summer, wouldn't you rather have a cleaner car pass you rather than a old pickup?

Regeneration just make so much sense, why waste the energy from braking. Also , batteries are highly reused.

We own an Allroad (24mgh) and a Lexus 200h (basically a prius) @ 45mpg. My wife would never think of taking her 100 mile a day drive in the Allroad. But to each his own, just get the emotion out of the purchase and think rationally over next 5-10 years.

Exactly ^

oldpotatoe
09-25-2019, 06:19 PM

A 2019 ‘regular car’ isn’t an ‘old pickup’..hybrids are marketed as solving some problem, most often related to environmental issues. Their mileage, although good, isn’t world class and the environmental cost to make them and dispose of them is high.

Blue Jays
09-25-2019, 06:30 PM
Another suggestion: skip the sunroof option

For vehicles used by cyclists...the added space to transport multiple bicycles upright is valuable.
Sunroofs are something that can go wrong, they add weight, and also reduce torsional rigidity.

GonaSovereign
09-25-2019, 06:39 PM
I am ashamed to say that Buick wagon looks nice. I would drive it. I have a soft spot for wagons. Growing up my always drove a Volvo 240 wagon. Simple utilitarian wagons that were bombproof.

The Buick is a fine car. It's made by Opel (search for Opel Insignia) and branded Opel outside of NorAm.

GonaSovereign
09-25-2019, 06:48 PM
I understand what I want doesn't actually exist. I like the idea of a 328d wagon, will drive one this weekend.

As far as hybrids go, it isn't going to happen. The smart answer is to shut up and keep driving the truck.

Other option is just deal with the more limited space, and get a smaller funner hatch. (not Golf/GTI/Golf R, because I've had one and didn't like it)

What didn't you like? I'm really curious. They are exceptionally good cars, particularly for the price. Admittedly, they don't have as much room as a wagon.

saab2000
09-25-2019, 07:10 PM
Another suggestion: skip the sunroof option

For vehicles used by cyclists...the added space to transport multiple bicycles upright is valuable.
Sunroofs are something that can go wrong, they add weight, and also reduce torsional rigidity.

Unfortunately this is not a standalone option anymore and is more often than not unavoidable.

I looked at the Passport up close yesterday and can report that the sunroof is not awful. The interior sliding panel is manual and headroom is good even with the sunroof. And it's not huge.

That said, I wish it were a deletable option. I'd definitely ALWAYS forego any type of sunroof.

nickl
09-25-2019, 07:21 PM
Unfortunately this is not a standalone option anymore and is more often than not unavoidable.

I looked at the Passport up close yesterday and can report that the sunroof is not awful. The interior sliding panel is manual and headroom is good even with the sunroof. And it's not huge.

That said, I wish it were a deletable option. I'd definitely ALWAYS forego any type of sunroof.

Unfortunately, the Passport like most SUV/CUVs handles like a boat compared to most current wagons and hatchbacks.

saab2000
09-25-2019, 07:27 PM
Unfortunately, the Passport like most SUV/CUVs handles like a boat compared to most current wagons and hatchbacks.

This is not news. I have a hatchback (GTI) and a small CUV (Tiguan) and you are correct, the handling isn't even close. But I enjoy the spaciousness of the cabin and cargo area and that I don't climb up or down into it. Rather I slide across into it. It is imperfect, but has some things I like about it.

Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of wagons in the mainstream anymore. Most are sold by premium brands at premium costs. Obviously, the VW is an exception to this. My Tiguan is a tall wagon with big wheels and a power lift gate. I don't love it but I don't hate it either.

I didn't drive the Passport but I wish it had been available when I bought my Tiguan. I probably would have ended up with it instead.

nickl
09-25-2019, 08:03 PM

This is not news. I have a hatchback (GTI) and a small CUV (Tiguan) and you are correct, the handling isn't even close. But I enjoy the spaciousness of the cabin and cargo area and that I don't climb up or down into it. Rather I slide across into it. It is imperfect, but has some things I like about it.

Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of wagons in the mainstream anymore. Most are sold by premium brands at premium costs. Obviously, the VW is an exception to this. My Tiguan is a tall wagon with big wheels and a power lift gate. I don't love it but I don't hate it either.

I didn't drive the Passport but I wish it had been available when I bought my Tiguan. I probably would have ended up with it instead.

Never mentioned the Tiguan but thanks for confirming that handling it’s is in the small boat category. Unfortunately the dearth of good spacious wagons was exacerbated by the onslaught of cuv/suvs. BTW, your Golf may be a good handling car and an excellent small hatch

but it’s not exactly in the wagon category. That’s still an area Europeans excel, think Passat, Jetta, plus others no longer imported plus the V60/90 and E class.

saab2000
09-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Never mentioned the Tiguan but thanks for confirming that handling it’s is in the small boat category. Unfortunately the dearth of good spacious wagons was exacerbated by the onslaught of cuv/suvs. BTW, your Golf may be a good handling car and an excellent small hatch

but it’s not exactly in the wagon category. That’s still an area Europeans excel, think Passat, Jetta, plus others no longer imported plus the V60/90 and E class.

Yeah, don’t get the Tiguan for any driving pleasure. It’s a suburban kid and junk hauler. And in that mission it does well. The rear seat is legit spacious. Don’t opt for the ridiculous third row. Not only is it useless, it actually takes away storage space.

With the rear seat folded storage space is quite impressive. It’s a tall wagon made to look like a mini SUV. It does surprisingly well in the snow with AWD and this winter I’m adding winter tires, making it unstoppable!

Ken Robb
09-25-2019, 09:18 PM
The Buick is a fine car. It's made by Opel (search for Opel Insignia) and branded Opel outside of NorAm.

GM sold off Opel so there will be no more sold in the USA and future parts availability and service will probably be difficult to find. Heck, I'll bet it may already be tough to find an Opel mechanic at your local Buick store. OTOH I'm sure they are now sold at a HUGE discount and probably are pretty good cars. Needless to say resale value will be very poor as it is with most "orphan" cars.

RKW
09-26-2019, 08:28 AM
What didn't you like? I'm really curious. They are exceptionally good cars, particularly for the price. Admittedly, they don't have as much room as a wagon.

More driving dynamics than anything else, compared to other cars i've owned, i found it thoroughly unengaging.

turbo lag for days. clutch feel is utter crap. In terms of practicality, they're hard to beat, can't argue that.

.RJ
09-26-2019, 10:39 PM

At least you're consistently irrational :D

JLQ
09-27-2019, 07:28 AM
I've put 75k miles on my 2016 328ix wagon, my only gripe is that it shoots through tires. That may actually be a driver problem. To me, it's the perfect balance of fun and practicality. I like my bikes up top, it's such great car for that.

RKW
09-27-2019, 07:47 AM
at least you're consistently irrational :d

ssshhh

.RJ
09-27-2019, 03:06 PM
I've put 75k miles on my 2016 328ix wagon, my only gripe is that it shoots through tires. That may actually be a driver problem. To me, it's the perfect balance of fun and practicality. I like my bikes up top, it's such great car for that.

Its a BMW suspension problem. Not sure how they have turned their cars into 3500 lb tire cheese graters, but, its how it is, even if all the suspension parts are new and alignment is good.

I sold my 6-speed E91 and dont miss it.

Ken Robb
09-27-2019, 05:55 PM
SOME of a BMW's rapid tire wear is due to their having a bit more negative camber than other cars. This aids cornering grip because when side loads are applied to the car the outer wheels are forced into more of a neutral (straight up and down) position which puts maximum rubber flat on the road. The drawback of this design is that the tires tend to run with more pressure and wear on the inside edge when going straight. We also should consider that some BMW buyers bought them to exploit the BMW reputation for high performance and so they drive them harder than they might do a Toyota.

Ralph
09-27-2019, 07:41 PM
SOME of a BMW's rapid tire wear is due to their having a bit more negative camber than other cars. This aids cornering grip because when side loads are applied to the car the outer wheels are forced into more of a neutral (straight up and down) position which puts maximum rubber flat on the road. The drawback of this design is that the tires tend to run with more pressure and wear on the inside edge when going straight. We also should consider that some BMW buyers bought them to exploit the BMW reputation for high performance and so they drive them harder than they might do a Toyota.

Also....they might spec a tad more toe (in) to give a feeling of ride stability. That adds to rapid tire wear also....but gives the car a solid feeling. Adjusting camber, toe, and caster for superior handling often has some side effects. Lots of positive castor gives a solid self centering on road feel.

Nothing special about BMW's, any car company could build a similar car if they wished. Any good chassis engineer knows how to design a car with the BMW (admittedly great) driving feel.

Ken Robb
09-27-2019, 08:56 PM
Also....they might spec a tad more toe (in) to give a feeling of ride stability. That adds to rapid tire wear also....but gives the car a solid feeling. Adjusting camber, toe, and caster for superior handling often has some side effects. Lots of positive castor gives a solid self centering on road feel.

Nothing special about BMW's, any car company could build a similar car if they wished. Any good chassis engineer knows how to design a car with the BMW (admittedly great) driving feel.
This is true. When I was serious about auto-crossing I had some extra toe-out dialed in to make my car turn in eagerly but that setting made it just as eager to follow ruts and seams in the road. Factory RECOMMENDATIONS for alignment are just that: recommendations so feel free to move a little to one side of the specs or the other to achieve YOUR happy compromise. As Ralph suggested a little extra toe-in can make a car track like an arrow and that might be great if you do mostly high speed freeway driving or if your roads are full of ruts and cracks that move you off-line.

.RJ
09-28-2019, 05:33 PM

Factory camber spec on the E90 & F30 is very little - less than 1 degree, unless its the M cars. Toe kills tires much faster than camber, tho. Either way most BMW's are tire shredders.

Mikej
09-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Honda Passport Elite-

Ralph
09-28-2019, 08:47 PM
Factory camber spec on the E90 & F30 is very little - less than 1 degree, unless its the M cars. Toe kills tires much faster than camber, tho. Either way most BMW's are tire shredders.

I agree. And....when you run a lot of positive castor, like 6-8 degrees for that good BMW steering feel, you don't have to dial in much static neg camber, because when you turn the steering wheel for a curve (as an example), you pick up a lot of neg camber (for good handling).....even if you have setting on the alignment rack of maybe .5-.7 neg or so. And Don't forget......the rear has toe and camber setting also on BMW's and most cars with IRS. You can get aggressive with those settings also.

The NASCAR guys are the absolute best at understanding alignment settings for those solid axle cars they race. Though they do have Panhard bars (sometimes called track bars) to locate rear axle. They have learned how to run neg camber on rear on one side and positive camber on rear the other side.

oliver1850
09-28-2019, 09:22 PM
In NASCAR they used to do the camber adjustment by bending the axle housings. Always wondered how it was done but welding on top or bottom might have been the method. I assume that they also relieved the splines on the axles to run at an angle to the differential. If you look at pics of the rear of Indy cars at ovals in the 1980s you can see gobs of differential in camber from right to left. I don't know where my notebook is but if I could find it I could tell you what the camber was on an Indy 500 winning car of that era.

Drmojo
09-29-2019, 01:49 AM
and China
India
all of Europe
or
stick with:
VROOM VROOM
FUMES

trener1
10-02-2019, 03:53 PM
So just a anecdote, I am a station wagon fan though I currently drive a SUV, but I always have my eyes on wagons.
So I am driving down the road yesterday and I see a wagon stopped at an intersection, but it isn't one that I recognized, I am thinking to myself, wow that is a really nice looking car I wonder who makes it... it wasn't a Audi or a Mercedes, but looked very euro, as I come to the intersection, lo and behold it is that Buick that was mentioned earlier in this thread, so just figured I'd post, that is a very nice looking car.

.RJ
10-02-2019, 08:11 PM
The Buick is a re-badged Opel.

tomato coupe
10-02-2019, 08:40 PM
I should be clear, my preference would be for a 997.1 911T to commute, and a used Econoline or Sprinter van for bike purposes.

Why not get just the 911? They can easily haul 2 or 3 bikes on the roof.

Andy sti
10-02-2019, 09:06 PM
Need that old Klein ad with the 911.

Blue Jays
10-02-2019, 09:15 PM
"...Why not get just the 911? They can easily haul 2 or 3 bikes on the roof..."That particular vehicle unfortunately does not satisfy most of RKW's requested features.

tomato coupe
10-02-2019, 10:01 PM
That particular vehicle unfortunately does not satisfy most of RKW's requested features.

It satisfies 2 of his 3 requirements, and it's something he really wants.

Andy sti
10-02-2019, 10:20 PM
Found it!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/df/62/1b/df621b77dd1d236f50a35c2b2198f64b.jpg

JLQ
10-03-2019, 07:00 AM
I remember mailing my three bucks to get that poster. Best bike ad of all time.

RKW
10-03-2019, 01:20 PM
And so it ends...

Pulled the trigger on a 328d Wagon. I get the mileage I want, and the type of vehicle I want, just no three-pedal, but I'll survive.

Ken Robb
10-03-2019, 01:39 PM
And so it ends...

Pulled the trigger on a 328d Wagon. I get the mileage I want, and the type of vehicle I want, just no three-pedal, but I'll survive.
That automatic is a good transmission.

tomato coupe
10-03-2019, 01:47 PM

Is a "d" a diesel? If so, have the prices of used diesels been affected much by the VW diesel scandal?

JLQ
10-03-2019, 02:20 PM
Let's see a pic.

572cv
10-04-2019, 02:07 AM
And so it ends...

Now there are two of us (at least) on the paceline. :). The tranny is so well matched to the motor that it is not objectionable, just different from a manual. I too would choose a manual, but everything else is fine. Enjoy that ride!

Jeff N.
10-04-2019, 07:23 AM
Subaru Outback.

Drmojo
10-04-2019, 10:50 AM
No kidding..but at least VW is going to make this..too bad it's...yawn, all electric.

great surf SoCal video about this brilliant reboot of the classic Micro bus
375—both HP and range
booyah!
no yawning allowed ;)

rnhood
10-04-2019, 11:24 AM
Is a "d" a diesel? If so, have the prices of used diesels been affected much by the VW diesel scandal?

No, not due to the scandal. It’s due to the high price of diesel fuel and the fact that it’s not a good choice for typical automobile, or urban use.

tomato coupe
10-04-2019, 07:06 PM
No, not due to the scandal. It’s due to the high price of diesel fuel and the fact that it’s not a good choice for typical automobile, or urban use.
Diesel prices really aren't any higher these days -- pretty much the same as mid-grade gasoline.

Ken Robb
10-04-2019, 10:52 PM
We have just had a big bump in gas prices due to problems at refineries (so they say) so now diesel is about $.50 cheaper than gasoline. I don't think I'd bet on that spread lasting too long though.

fmradio516
10-05-2019, 07:32 AM
We have just had a big bump in gas prices due to problems at refineries (so they say) so now diesel is about $.50 cheaper than gasoline. I don't think I'd bet on that spread lasting too long though.

Apparently that used to be the norm, according to my grandpa. Whenever we passed a gas station, he'd say "i dont understand why diesel is more than gasoline these days.."

RKW
10-05-2019, 12:25 PM

As someone that works in the industry, that sorta depends on a bunch of things. Not implausible, but not exactly the full answer.

Ken Robb
10-05-2019, 01:15 PM
As someone that works in the industry, that sorta depends on a bunch of things. Not implausible, but not exactly the full answer.

and that is why I included (so they say) in my post.:)

jimcav
10-05-2019, 01:24 PM
Apparently that used to be the norm, according to my grandpa. Whenever we passed a gas station, he'd say "i dont understand why diesel is more than gasoline these days.."

sorry to OP as this is a complete thread drift, but as he has his 328d now, it won't matter. We went from a gas to diesel jeep and even with the DEF it is cheaper to run because we get over a 25% increase in ave mpg (from 17 to 23) and the diesel is NOT 25% more than gas here in CA. I wish i was more into the engines and how to make it greener, i assume biodiesel is possible but haven't been able to take my wish and turn it into actual motivation and action. I understand there are some cradle-to-grave life-cycle perspectives to hybrid and electric, but as someone who rode or jogs with traffic daily, there is a very real local/regional impact (to the positive) to the ever increasing numbers of prius, volts, teslas, hybrid accords, camrys etc in my area. On the rare times i drive my 1970s trans am on the weekend, i wish i had the $ to convert it to a hybrid or electric. I even researched that but it wasn't feasible for us. I do love the lines of the car and the nostalgia it brings me, but i wish someone would develop more affordable plug-n-play powertrain replacements for older cars. Anyway, as my sons approach driving age I think local environmental impact is going to be 2nd only to safety as a choice. I'm hoping i can kill multiple birds as the 1st 10 rs of my life my mom had a microbus; so i hope the new electric version next year is safe and affordable, as it definitely hits my nostalgia button.

Gsinill
10-05-2019, 02:49 PM

Why, what are the downsides?

paredown
10-05-2019, 03:56 PM

Perhaps it was my imagination, but I thought the 'normalizing' of diesel pricing happened about the time that they started importing more diesel cars--and the claim at the time was that it was because of passing along the costs of the new refining techniques to produce low sulfur diesel that the new engines required.

Or at least that's what I think I remember....:)

328d sounds like a great solution--we had a few drives in a 32x X-drive wagon and I thought it was a really nice wagon!

tomato coupe
10-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Yep, it was the norm up until the early 2000's.

RKW
10-13-2019, 08:56 AM
So, as I said, I bought a 328d wagon. Already a rare-IAH car, it’s even more rare when you’re specifically looking for an M-Sport. I stumbled on the only one I’ve ever seen with every. single. option. box ticked.

Obviously it was in conveniently located, so the spouse and I decided to turn it into a high-desert National Park road trip. I’ll make that a separate thread.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191013/744180c3b3c5d4274ae4dbde39cd7ef2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191013/3eeb435024d197c955945677cfe415e2.jpg